Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 615

Thread: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

  1. #521
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Obama was completing Bush's agreement for withdrawal of troops and fulfilling a campaign promise to the American people. Bush made and signed the agreement to withdraw our troops with much fanfare before he left office. If Obama lied then so did Bush.
    When Obama made that promise to remove the troops then the SOFA really didn't matter, right?

  2. #522
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It was political bull****. From both. It wasnt stabliized and the country was practically destroyed which we had to pay to fix. Many factions were still active...and causing disruption.

    They threw nothing away....we had no way to fix what we destroyed and destabilized. Our presence was not helping anything since we didnt have a plan to fix it. We never did btw....GWB didnt give a **** about 'after'....the plan was "we'll bring them democracy,' with no actual plans to do so.

    Can anyone name a country where we...or anyone else...has 'brought them democracy' successfully? I cant. You cannot force democracy on a country that is culturally not ready for it. Why did I know that in 2003 but GWB didnt?
    I always appreciate the voice of moderation.

  3. #523
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,354

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It is not a lie to say something that you think is true, even if it isn't. Bush did not lie when he said that Iraq had WMD. The local weather guy didn't lie when he said it would rain and it didn't. Obama didn't lie when he said we could keep our health insurance. We throw that accusation around a lot, and it is not accurate.

    So, when we say someone lied, and in fact they just made an error, are we ourselves lying? I say, no, as saying something you erroneously believe to be true is not a lie but a mistake.
    OK then we will call it willful deception then. There is very much evidence that Bush must have known that claims he made about Saddam's WMD's were far from written in stone. Shouldn't a President be held responsible for exaggeration of the verifiable veracity of claims he made in his 2003 State of the Union for example? Claims that all turned out to be false? Error is one thing but purposely not telling the whole truth is also a sort of lie.

    http://www.salon.com/2015/02/10/yes_...ng_about_this/

  4. #524
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It was political bull****. From both. It wasnt stabliized and the country was practically destroyed which we had to pay to fix. Many factions were still active...and causing disruption.

    They threw nothing away....we had no way to fix what we destroyed and destabilized. Our presence was not helping anything since we didnt have a plan to fix it. We never did btw....GWB didnt give a **** about 'after'....the plan was "we'll bring them democracy,' with no actual plans to do so.

    Can anyone name a country where we...or anyone else...has 'brought them democracy' successfully? I cant. You cannot force democracy on a country that is culturally not ready for it. Why did I know that in 2003 but GWB didnt?
    There was democracy -- albeit imperfect -- in Iraq in 2009. Regardless, Iraq was a better place without Saddam Hussein. Again, the facts are not as you claim.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #525
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,736

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

    That statement was true.
    SH was never a threat to the US.

    Are we invading Iran? They are alot further along than SH ever was.

    Bush wanted to believe it...or didnt and just used it anyway...to further his own ****tily-thought out agenda in Iraq. And then lied and bullied other countries into joining us. (After doing the same to Congress)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #526
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,736

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I was quoting Barack Obama and what he said. Are you saying that Barack Obama was lying when he called Iraq "Sovereign, stable, and self reliant"?
    If it wasnt true...which it wasnt...then yup. Since when dont politicians lie? THey blow BS sunshine up our skirts all the time.

    However Obama's lie didnt cause the killing of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, cost us trillions of dollars, caused the killing and maiming of 10s of thousands of American soldiers, and gained us nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #527
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,354

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    When Obama made that promise to remove the troops then the SOFA really didn't matter, right?
    Obama was willing to leave troops in Iraq. Maliki was dragging his feet on the SOFA because of pressure from Iran and Al Sadr who both wanted ALL Americans to leave. Obama felt it was not worth keeping troops where we were not wanted. We didn't invade Iraq to annex it did we?

  8. #528
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    SH was never a threat to the US.

    Are we invading Iran? They are alot further along than SH ever was.

    Bush wanted to believe it...or didnt and just used it anyway...to further his own ****tily-thought out agenda in Iraq. And then lied and bullied other countries into joining us. (After doing the same to Congress)
    Please see my #509.

    No one bullied Congress. They went along because they thought it was the right thing to do or they saw political advantage in it.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #529
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,736

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    There was democracy -- albeit imperfect -- in Iraq in 2009. Regardless, Iraq was a better place without Saddam Hussein. Again, the facts are not as you claim.
    Who says? Got any proof of that? For the majority of the country that lies in ruins and is still costings us $$$$? Before, some minorities were oppressed, now there is still continual conflict over governing and religion....for everyone.

    Was all that worth the 10s of thousands of American soldiers lives? And the ones maimed? And the ones back home now committing suicide, killing family members, dealing with PTSD, looking for jobs, etc?

    For nothing, no gain. A sad, unnecessary waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #530
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: George W. Bush Is Intervening in Iraq—Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    If it wasnt true...which it wasnt...then yup. Since when dont politicians lie? THey blow BS sunshine up our skirts all the time.

    However Obama's lie didnt cause the killing of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, cost us trillions of dollars, caused the killing and maiming of 10s of thousands of American soldiers, and gained us nothing.
    No, but his withdrawal made all those sacrifices pointless and the damage done as a result of his retreat will haunt the world for decades.

    You apparently know little of Iraq or what was going on at the time preceding the withdrawal. That's not a problem because many millions of other people don't either.

Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •