Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 456

Thread: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

  1. #51
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    you keep saying this yet none exist solely based on SSM . . not one. . .this is why you can't provide any

    people can apply anything they want doesn't mean it will be base on legality, facts or precedence

    people argue illegal discrimination is actually legal for many reason doesnt mean it holds water lol
    Sure there is! For example, the government shouldn't be involved in choosing favorites when it comes to something personal like marriage. them. Or how about the arguments that two happy parents are better than one as SSM is a better alternative to single parents. That argument can apply to SSM or any of other ways a marriage can happened. You merely lack imagination to see

  2. #52
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,935

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I've yet to hear an argument for allowing SSM that couldn't be applied to polygamy or incest.
    That's because you're not reading the arguments for the court decisions. If you did read them you might have an "Ohhhhh...right." moment.

  3. #53
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 12:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Let me sum this up because I'm not going to go over the same points again:

    You have a right to be Gay in the US, you do not have the right to Gay Marriage.
    That last sentence makes the legal right to marriage a privledge. I just don't think the country is willing to do that, and if gays can't marry why not interracial or interfaith or whatever. About the only thing the right has is the whole marry a dog or kid, which ads red herrings because of consent. Gays having the right to marry doesn't mean you can marry your empty Gatorade bottle, dog or the 6 year old girl who lived down the street. It would take a court challenge which would include proving those above could provide consent. So yeah red herring.

  4. #54
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Because nobody voted for Republicans, they voted against Democrats.
    Wait, are you saying there's over 200 Libertarians in DC right now!?!?!


  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,343

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I've yet to hear an argument for allowing SSM that couldn't be applied to polygamy or incest.
    Are you a Supreme Court Justice? No and that makes what you think irrelevant.

  6. #56
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    1.)Sure there is! For example, the government shouldn't be involved in choosing favorites when it comes to something personal like marriage. them.
    2.) Or how about the arguments that two happy parents are better than one as SSM is a better alternative to single parents.
    3.) That argument can apply to SSM or any of other ways a marriage can happened.
    4.) You merely lack imagination to see
    well you just proved my point
    1.) thats not a legality based argument its a empty opinion, can you tell me what cases was won on e the argument "choosing of favorites"
    2.) see #1
    3.) yes it can but again thats not based on legality or any legal precedence
    4.) wrong again i simply understand the topic and how low and rights work

    random arguments are meaningless unless they can be founded in law, rights and constitutionality
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #57
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    That's because you're not reading the arguments for the court decisions. If you did read them you might have an "Ohhhhh...right." moment.
    ding ding ding ding we have a winner
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #58
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Are you a Supreme Court Justice? No and that makes what you think irrelevant.
    Then why reply man? Besides, what do I care, didn't you hear? Cephus let me know that nobody voted for Republicans but against Democrats which only means one thing baby... Libertarian take over baby!


  9. #59
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    That's because you're not reading the arguments for the court decisions. If you did read them you might have an "Ohhhhh...right." moment.
    I've seen them, and yet to see how they couldn't be carried over. Voyager was saying what I was trying to convey, that we're not talking about rights but a privliedge. We haven't seen the court decisions yet because up until very recently, marriage was pretty strict on it's definition. Times are a changing, so we'll see I suppose. In the end, I'm for SSM but I just see it opening doors to other things. We'll see though.

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    That last sentence makes the legal right to marriage a privledge. I just don't think the country is willing to do that, and if gays can't marry why not interracial or interfaith or whatever. About the only thing the right has is the whole marry a dog or kid, which ads red herrings because of consent. Gays having the right to marry doesn't mean you can marry your empty Gatorade bottle, dog or the 6 year old girl who lived down the street. It would take a court challenge which would include proving those above could provide consent. So yeah red herring.
    I feel like we shouldn't agree but I think we do. I could be wrong though.

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    well you just proved my point
    1.) thats not a legality based argument its a empty opinion, can you tell me what cases was won on e the argument "choosing of favorites"
    2.) see #1
    3.) yes it can but again thats not based on legality or any legal precedence
    4.) wrong again i simply understand the topic and how low and rights work

    random arguments are meaningless unless they can be founded in law, rights and constitutionality
    Whatever you say J, we'll see.

    Head_Pat.jpg
    Last edited by Hamster Buddha; 02-12-15 at 01:15 PM.

  10. #60
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 12:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I've seen them, and yet to see how they couldn't be carried over. Voyager was saying what I was trying to convey, that we're not talking about rights but a privliedge. We haven't seen the court decisions yet because up until very recently, marriage was pretty strict on it's definition. Times are a changing, so we'll see I suppose. In the end, I'm for SSM but I just see it opening doors to other things. We'll see though.



    I feel like we shouldn't agree but I think we do. I could be wrong though.
    The whole hallmark of marriage is consent though. I don't think that will ever go away.

Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •