Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 456

Thread: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

  1. #231
    One with the Force
    LaylaWindu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,964

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I'm not sure having a discussion with someone who can't even bring themselves to acknowledge that Justices bring their own Constitutional biases with them, a POTUS knows that, and that he/her makes his/her pick on that basis has much chance of a meeting of the minds anyway.
    Who hasn't acknowledged it? You like strawmen a lot huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    As for your question about the Loving decision, some courts use it and some don't when deciding SSM.
    Beyond that I don't get your point.
    It's not about SSM its about showing how your assertion is completely false and doesn't hold "ultimate and absolute" since most of america was against interracial marriage at the time it was ruled on. The obvious fact is that was a decision that "public opinion" and "pop culture" and "tv/movies/radio" had not impact on, just the law so it goes against your claims.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    If you keep insisting that the Justices don't bring their own interpretation of the Constitution despite the obvious, then you're right, there's no point continuing this.
    Sorry never did that one single time, not even close, could you quote me saying that. DO you often just make stuff up, ill make note of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    If that's not what you're insisting then you need to explain what you ARE saying.
    Already did explain multiple times you are just too busy creating your strawmen and avoiding my questions and points.
    You suggestion falls, like you have already been told while influence "can" happen it obviously also doesn't matter and it most certainly is not "ultimate and absolute"

    Since you also ignored the point about the fact that the 10th is limited good luck!
    "We are never done with lessons, not while we live"

  2. #232
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,972

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    The 10th Amendment seems in conflict with the 14th Amendment.
    That conflict resolution shouldn't be decided by portrayals in (e.g.) movies that over time encourage changes in public attitude that over time encourage obsequious politicians one way or the other.
    It isn't in conflict at all. The Tenth clearly states the states and the people, plus the 14th came after the Tenth, so it would then hold more precedence in law where there would be a conflict. Just as prohibition is no longer in effect because the Amendment was basically voided by another Amendment enacted later.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #233
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Wanting to allow people of the states to determine if the State is going to recognize a legal arrangement is a far cry from locking up people just because of their sexual orientation. Get real.
    It's not when you consider that according to polls, most of those who oppose SSM also think gay consensual sex should be illegal. They are fascist pigs, so it is their marriages that should be subject to the whims and prejudices of a mob

    Both jindal and cruz have said absolutely abhorrent filth about lgbt. That's why cruz was named "Bigot of the Year 2014" by "The Advocate"

  4. #234
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    You realize you'd lose in a landslide right?
    I hope the irony isn't lost on you, since 60% now support SSM

    You fail to relate to such an extent that you can't even conceive of how a mob even attempting to take away your basic rights and dignity would be enraging. Talk about the definition of 2nd class citizen

  5. #235
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    [QUOTE=AGENT J;1064304056]Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage - CNN.com



    wow what a waste of time and money, also nothing like making sure you wont be president either lol Equal rights is coming bigots . .. give it up

    again im not saying this one topic SHOULD decide who could be president but any candidate that comes out against equal rights and they make it "PART OF THEIR CAMPAIGN AND RUNNING PLATFORM" is sure to lose lol

    its just the way politics will be in 2016

    lastly traditional marriage is in no danger by equal rights, its a made up subjective thing, it wont be impacted at all

    next "the obama administration forcing it"? It doesnt get any dumber than that.

    good lord
    the war is over but its entertaining seeing the last desperate attempts of bigotry, it shows peoples true colors[/

    Is it possible that Cruz is really a Democratic plant working for the Obama administration.

    Really, it would be hard to think of a more stupid stance for the Republican party to take.

  6. #236
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Well regarding the religious stuff, there's constitutional protections for that already in place so that's not really at issue here. And incidentally I agree with you about the polygamy/incest and as I've tried to tell others, that's why the majority of conservatives oppose SSM at this time. Because quite frankly, there is no legitimate reason to stop any two consenting adults from entering into and receiving the same legal benefits as straight or, hopefully soon, SS marriages. That's all I've really been trying to say in this area.
    No dude, they oppose it because they hate gays, no other reason. The rest is just thinly veiled attempts to conceal that fact.

  7. #237
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I'm suggesting, actually more like claiming, that entertainment & pop culture can influence and sway popular opinion on subjects like SSM, and subsequently polls on the subject change.
    When polls on a subject change, politicians will change with it if they think they have to in order to survive.
    When politicians change, who they gather around them changes and that includes judicial appointees.
    And that's what ultimately matters.
    I've said this recently to another but i'm not going to allow unchallenged this revisionism to diminish the hard work of activists, and the courage of many to come out, which is what truly ended the opposition.

    TV reflects popular culture, not the other way around. I defy you to name any tv show that could seriously be considered progressive. The gay characters there are now are also no more than walking stereotypes. Movies? There are 0 gay characters in a top 100 grossing fantasy/sci fi film and none in any blockbuster film period. Only a few pop bands were in front on this issue either. There are 0 openly gay athletes in the 4 major pro sports and only 2 in Division 1 college sports.

    It's also absurd to claim that Ginsburg's appointment or Kennedy or even that wannabe tyrant scalia had anything to do with SSM

    Not sure where you get any of this from

  8. #238
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    It's not when you consider that according to polls, most of those who oppose SSM also think gay consensual sex should be illegal. They are fascist pigs, so it is their marriages that should be subject to the whims and prejudices of a mob

    Both jindal and cruz have said absolutely abhorrent filth about lgbt. That's why cruz was named "Bigot of the Year 2014" by "The Advocate"
    I would love to see this poll. And please multiquote next time, saves on clutter.

  9. #239
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I would love to see this poll. And please multiquote next time, saves on clutter.
    You quoted me twice separately yourself and are probably in the process of doing it again right now

    Gay and Lesbian Rights | Gallup Historical Trends

    1st poll - should *relationships* be legal : 30% say no
    2nd poll - should marriages be legal : 44% say no

    So there you have it, roughly 2/3 of those who oppose SSM want to return us to before "lawrence v texas" and ted cruz, from all i can discern from his outbursts on the subject, is definitely one of those

    If you want me to pull out all his abhorrent comments about lgbt to use as weight of evidence, i will gladly do so


    edit: also interesting that 38% say homosexuality is "morally wrong", meaning that one's own moral views almost entirely drives these fascist desires to arrest lgbt for consensual relationships. Thus i interpret the moral grandstanding by ted cruz and others as evidence he wants gay couples arrested

    35% say "should not be able to adopt" and on and on. The results are very consistent. Bigots are bigots thru and thru
    Last edited by chromium; 02-14-15 at 09:59 PM.

  10. #240
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    You quoted me twice separately yourself and are probably in the process of doing it again right now

    Gay and Lesbian Rights | Gallup Historical Trends

    1st poll - should *relationships* be legal : 30% say no
    2nd poll - should marriages be legal : 44% say no

    So there you have it, roughly 2/3 of those who oppose SSM want to return us to before "lawrence v texas" and ted cruz, from all i can discern from his outbursts on the subject, is definitely one of those

    If you want me to pull out all his abhorrent comments about lgbt to use as weight of evidence, i will gladly do so


    edit: also interesting that 38% say homosexuality is "morally wrong", meaning that one's own moral views almost entirely drives these fascist desires to arrest lgbt for consensual relationships. Thus i interpret the moral grandstanding by ted cruz and others as evidence he wants gay couples arrested
    Look at the question very carefully:

    "Do you think homosexual relations between consenting adult should or should not be illegal?" It doesn't say "Do you think an adult caught committing a homosexual act should or should not be imprisoned?" I understand from someone who is a staunch support of SSM the difference is subtle or non-existent. But from someone whose been on both sides of the issue, I can tell you that gradience between "a relationship being legal" and "a marriage being legal" is very fine and not all the same as wanting them locked up.

    Look as bad as you think Ted Cruz is on this issue, I'l guarantee my grandmother is worse. She is absolutely disgusted by the notion of two men together and it makes her boil any time the issue is brought up. And seeing as I am stuck with taking care of her this weekend, I went and asked her those two question "should gays be able to marry" and "should gays be locked up." The first question she replied with a quick no, saying "she didn't believe in it" (I've never known what believing has to do with the issue, so don't ask me). But when I presented her with the second question, she paused and thought on it, and finally said "No I don't believe that, it's their choice if they want to be that way but I don't believe they should be able to marry". Choice is the key here, as you see that of course most people who are against SSM believe that you're not born homosexual, that it's a lifestyle choice. And no more than you'd be locked up for choosing the wear baggy clothes.

    But sure, if you can find me the time that Ted Cruz said that gays should be locked up or something very close to that statement, then I'd be welcome to see it.

Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •