Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 456

Thread: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

  1. #111
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    It's not my place to oppose SCOTUS however all of this should have been handled by legislation. States have the right to regulate marriage until the Feds amend the constitution. Both of those situations I'm ok with.
    states have the power to regulate many things up to the point they violate individual rights then thier power ends and no legislation is needed or constitutional amendmet is needed, that fact is already true.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #112
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage - CNN.com



    wow what a waste of time and money, also nothing like making sure you wont be president either lol Equal rights is coming bigots . .. give it up

    again im not saying this one topic SHOULD decide who could be president but any candidate that comes out against equal rights and they make it "PART OF THEIR CAMPAIGN AND RUNNING PLATFORM" is sure to lose lol

    its just the way politics will be in 2016

    lastly traditional marriage is in no danger by equal rights, its a made up subjective thing, it wont be impacted at all

    next "the obama administration forcing it"? It doesnt get any dumber than that.

    good lord
    the war is over but its entertaining seeing the last desperate attempts of bigotry, it shows peoples true colors
    It's a generational thing. The older generations, many democrats included and Obama for several years of his presidency, are against gay marriage. For younger generations, it isn't even a point of controversy. My view: So long as religious institutions are exempt from violating their constitutional rights, who cares. The party that makes this a core value is doomed to lose the 35 and younger crowd.

  3. #113
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by SBu View Post
    1.)It's a generational thing. The older generations, many democrats included and Obama for several years of his presidency, are against gay marriage. For younger generations, it isn't even a point of controversy.
    2.) My view: So long as religious institutions are exempt from violating their constitutional rights, who cares.
    4.) The party that makes this a core value is doomed to lose the 35 and younger crowd.
    1.) being against gay marriage doesnt mean people want to infringe on rights though
    I know many people including myself that are against things but that doesnt motivate me to deny people rights
    wanting to deny rights comes from bigotry and ignorance, plan and simple
    2.) I agree but thats not even a valid concern, the constitution (like you mentioned) already protects them as it basically always has. The church has discriminated for years and they still do today based on race, religion, sexual orientation etc etc etc and thats thier right. And its a right i would also protect and fight for but that isnt needed.

    The reality is religion isnt even a factor when discussing LEGAL marriage but many people try to mix them when they are indeed already 100% separate.

    3.) they are doomed to loose more than that, Im not in that crowd and in real life there are very very few that want to "stop" equal rights. There are plenty that may not "like it" though.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #114
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) being against gay marriage doesnt mean people want to infringe on rights though
    I know many people including myself that are against things but that doesnt motivate me to deny people rights
    wanting to deny rights comes from bigotry and ignorance, plan and simple
    2.) I agree but thats not even a valid concern, the constitution (like you mentioned) already protects them as it basically always has. The church has discriminated for years and they still do today based on race, religion, sexual orientation etc etc etc and thats thier right. And its a right i would also protect and fight for but that isnt needed.

    The reality is religion isnt even a factor when discussing LEGAL marriage but many people try to mix them when they are indeed already 100% separate.

    3.) they are doomed to loose more than that, Im not in that crowd and in real life there are very very few that want to "stop" equal rights. There are plenty that may not "like it" though.
    1.) In an ideal world, this is the case. However, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. The fact is that older generations are set in their ways; in what they learned and were taught in their youth while their minds and opinions were forming. They will stray not far from those origins, but fear not because this is a temporary phenom.

    2.) Religious organizations, not just 'churches', will rightly fear government over-reach.

    3.) This is probably true. An arbitrary age cut-off that I made up to reflect my opinion of the general generational line.

  5. #115
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) sorry you are still confused but the facts wont change
    2.) I havent offered you any opinion, i told you facts
    3.) thanks but that is yet again another false assumption on your part
    I have law, facts, rights and court cases on my side, remind me what you have stated besides your opinions and feelings?
    your opinions and feelings JUST LIKE MINE dont matter
    I accept your concession though, like i said its a good idea to try to study up about this particular topic.

    Fact remains:
    action is NOT needed to be gay
    there are no protected minority groups



    this fact wont change whether you understand them or not. Good luck


    I have experience with someone like you. My ex wife. It was impossible to argue with her because she claimed that what she said was fact. Good luck with your facts. Se was cute but her facts were less than believable.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  6. #116
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by SBu View Post
    1.) In an ideal world, this is the case. However, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. The fact is that older generations are set in their ways; in what they learned and were taught in their youth while their minds and opinions were forming. They will stray not far from those origins, but fear not because this is a temporary phenom.

    2.) Religious organizations, not just 'churches', will rightly fear government over-reach.

    3.) This is probably true. An arbitrary age cut-off that I made up to reflect my opinion of the general generational line.
    1.) lol niiiice I dont fear it though because equal rights is winning
    2.) well those are not the same, churches should rest assured and have no fears, there isnt even any evidence that shows they are in danger of government overreach. Unless the constitution changes they are safe as can be.

    "religious institutions" should have any fear either unless they fear breaking the law and getting caught, religious orgs for the most part have to play by the same rules as EVERYBODY, if they dont lie it, tough they can get out of the "non-religious" realm

    3.) im just saying at least in my area the people around my age support equal rights, hell the majority do . . but there are people that dont like it
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #117
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    1.)I have experience with someone like you. My ex wife.
    2.)It was impossible to argue with her because she claimed that what she said was fact.
    3.) Good luck with your facts.
    4.) Se was cute but her facts were less than believable.
    1.) very telling
    2.) this is your mistake, im not trying to argue, there are two things i point out that are in deed fact because the law rights and constitution makes them that way. It has nothing to do with what i "say".

    what i say is meaningless to the fact. You are free to disagree but it only exposes your like of education on this particular subject.

    Also if you disagree all you have to do is bring ONE fact to the table that supports your failed and proven wrong claims . . . one . . . why are you avoiding this?

    I can back up with law and facts what i said, all you have provided so far is "nu-huh"

    3.) another mistake, facts dont need luck they just are
    4.) wow 3 for 3 in mistakes, again your belief doesnt matter to facts. You are free to believe 2 + 2 = 85.74 doenst change the fact you are wrong.

    here are the facts:
    Fact remains:
    action is NOT needed to be gay
    there are no protected minority groups

    I challenge you to present anything that factually proves otherwise

    I bet you cant or you dodge it
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #118
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,880

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    I to believe that marriage is between one man and one woman...What does that have to do with the Constitution? When did America become a Sharia law nation in which religious beliefs trump the US Constitution.
    When I said, "It could be that they are standing up for their sincere belief that marriage is between one man and one woman," I was responding to Kobie's post in which he said, "It amazes me that so many GOPers are willing to hitch their wagon to such a clear losing issue." Neither one of us said about the Constitution.

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,880

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    The whole concept of states' rights is riiculous to me. States don't have rights, people do. Like the right to enter into contract and the freedom of association.
    Here is a blog response that you might find useful: CounterPoint: Yes, Virginia, States Really Do Have Rights - The Liberty Papers

    There has been tension between states rights and federal powers since the beginning.

  10. #120
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    When I said, "It could be that they are standing up for their sincere belief that marriage is between one man and one woman," I was responding to Kobie's post in which he said, "It amazes me that so many GOPers are willing to hitch their wagon to such a clear losing issue." Neither one of us said about the Constitution.
    Sincerity of belief does not make anyone any less of a bigot.

    Racists can sincerly believe that black people are inherently inferior to white people. Their sincerity does not make them any less of a bigot.

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Here is a blog response that you might find useful: CounterPoint: Yes, Virginia, States Really Do Have Rights - The Liberty Papers

    There has been tension between states rights and federal powers since the beginning.
    The fact that some blog on the internet says something only proves that some blog on the internet says something; it doesn't prove that what they say is true

    States do not have rights. State govts have *powers*; they have no rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •