Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 456

Thread: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I agree with most of this. Personally, I'm more interested in process and protection of the constitution than anything else. There is a process to deal with gay marriage which is constitutional. It's proponents however have chosen the easy road to get what they want which is to treat the constitution as a living document which can be changed on the fly by opinion.
    You oppose the Supreme Courts "Loving" decision?

  2. #102
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    You oppose the Supreme Courts "Loving" decision?
    It's not my place to oppose SCOTUS however all of this should have been handled by legislation. States have the right to regulate marriage until the Feds amend the constitution. Both of those situations I'm ok with.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  3. #103
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,813

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    It's not my place to oppose SCOTUS however all of this should have been handled by legislation. States have the right to regulate marriage until the Feds amend the constitution. Both of those situations I'm ok with.
    But they do not have the right to deny equal rights. And that is what some States has continued to do.
    Under your Constitution, are Rights not a Federal area?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    The whole concept of states' rights is riiculous to me. States don't have rights, people do. Like the right to enter into contract and the freedom of association.
    People can, depending on how they are defined. I never get people who act like the federal government is inherently evil, but somehow, the state governments are good. Why isn't *ALL* government evil? What's next, when the states refuse to do what they want, start insisting that only city government is valid? It's absurd.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    It's not my place to oppose SCOTUS however all of this should have been handled by legislation. States have the right to regulate marriage until the Feds amend the constitution. Both of those situations I'm ok with.
    With the Loving decision, which legalized interracial marriage in several states, the SCOTUS ruled that irrational discriminatory marriage laws are unconstitutional because they violate both the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    With the Loving decision, which legalized interracial marriage in several states, the SCOTUS ruled that irrational discriminatory marriage laws are unconstitutional because they violate both the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
    That's exactly the point. Once you have a couple of states where gay marriage is legal, it is fundamental that it be legal in all states because of the Equal Protection Clause. It's funny how these people only pay attention to the Constitution when it does what they want, then they become deaf, dumb and blind when it doesn't.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    People can, depending on how they are defined. I never get people who act like the federal government is inherently evil, but somehow, the state governments are good. Why isn't *ALL* government evil? What's next, when the states refuse to do what they want, start insisting that only city government is valid? It's absurd.
    The obsession with state's rights seems to be primarilly based on the fact that states are more willing to pass and uphold (in the courts) discriminatory laws that would not be upheld by federal courts.

  8. #108
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    The obsession with state's rights seems to be primarilly based on the fact that states are more willing to pass and uphold (in the courts) discriminatory laws that would not be upheld by federal courts.
    The smaller the venue, the less supporters you have to seize control of it. I'm surprised they haven't started pushing for block patrol rights. That's about all the libertarians can muster.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #109
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    1.)You haven't cleared up anything.
    2.) I think you are wrong about most of what you've written and because I don't respect your opinion I don't want or need your help.
    3.) Your condesention is outstanding however.
    1.) sorry you are still confused but the facts wont change
    2.) I havent offered you any opinion, i told you facts
    3.) thanks but that is yet again another false assumption on your part
    I have law, facts, rights and court cases on my side, remind me what you have stated besides your opinions and feelings?
    your opinions and feelings JUST LIKE MINE dont matter
    I accept your concession though, like i said its a good idea to try to study up about this particular topic.

    Fact remains:
    action is NOT needed to be gay
    there are no protected minority groups



    this fact wont change whether you understand them or not. Good luck
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #110
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: Cruz introduces bill defending states' rights on marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I agree with most of this. Personally, I'm more interested in process and protection of the constitution than anything else. There is a process to deal with gay marriage which is constitutional. It's proponents however have chosen the easy road to get what they want which is to treat the constitution as a living document which can be changed on the fly by opinion.
    so you are claiming history, the constitution, rights and over 25+ cases and 45+ judges got it wrong?
    I would love to hear the facts supporting that
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •