Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: NBC News: Brian Williams suspended for 6 months without pay

  1. #31
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Williams Out. Holt In.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I hadn't heard that part. Did he also say his unit crash landed.
    Williams, the most-watched network anchor in the US, often spoke of being shot down in a helicopter in Iraq.

    However, after veterans disputed his account, he admitted getting the story wrong and blamed the "fog of memory".

    Last week, he apologised on air for the lapse.

    "I made a mistake in recalling the events of 12 years ago," he said. "I want to apologise. I said I was travelling in an aircraft that was hit by RPG [rocket-propelled grenade] fire. I was instead in a following aircraft."

    NBC News President Deborah Turness said that Williams had "misrepresented" events from the Iraq war.

    "It then became clear that on other occasions Brian had done the same while telling that story in other venues," Turness said.

    "This was wrong and completely inappropriate for someone in Brian's position." Link.
    He lied and made himself a story for personal gain. Seems his lies have caught up with him.

    6 months without pay - ouch.

  2. #32
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Brian Williams Suspended Six Months in Wake of Investigation

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Good. Now they can get some fresh talent on MSNBC when they do the sort shakeup, people get mad they didn't get the bump up, and leave the network.
    I hear Jay Carney's available
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #33
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Williams Out. Holt In.

    NBC did the right thing for their brand and their shareholders making some sort of statement.

    He won't be back. He'll take a settlement. I think the only reason they didn't fire him is because he had some goods on them.

    I hope they give a serious look at Holt as a serious replacement.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Williams Out. Holt In.

    "...reason they didn't fire him is because he had some goods on them."
    I've read this claim made by several, and unless I missed it, nobody has suggested what this could possibly be. Does anyone have an idea? Even a guess?

    Not attributing to any one poster because I have seen several make the same suggestion.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: NBC News: Brian Williams suspended for 6 months without pay

    Moderator's Warning:
    NBC News: Brian Williams suspended for 6 months without payThreads merged

  6. #36
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: NBC News: Brian Williams suspended for 6 months without pay

    The lingering question to me is, will this change journalism at all? What Williams did (repeatedly) is reprehensible for a so-called journalist, but let's be honest, it's hardly uncommon.

    NBC, like others, routinely decides on what the narrative will be to their stories ahead of time, then they get their journalists and anchors to feed that narrative. If a story arises that conflicts with it, they simply ignore it if they can't spin it toward the narrative. They know the answers to the questions they want going in.

    This happens every day to almost every story.

  7. #37
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: NBC News: Brian Williams suspended for 6 months without pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The lingering question to me is, will this change journalism at all? What Williams did (repeatedly) is reprehensible for a so-called journalist, but let's be honest, it's hardly uncommon.

    NBC, like others, routinely decides on what the narrative will be to their stories ahead of time, then they get their journalists and anchors to feed that narrative. If a story arises that conflicts with it, they simply ignore it if they can't spin it toward the narrative. They know the answers to the questions they want going in.

    This happens every day to almost every story.
    No. This is what the human species does, push the envelope.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Roadvirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,156

    Re: NBC News: Brian Williams suspended for 6 months without pay

    Quote Originally Posted by ModerateGOP View Post
    Brian Williams the disgraced lying scumbag has been removed as the Anchor of NBC Nightly News for the next six months effective as of today. Lester Holt will replace him. Developing...

    NBC News: Brian Williams suspended for 6 months without pay - POLITICO.com
    A suspension? Apparently NBC isn't too concerned about it's credibility.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Williams Out. Holt In.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I've read this claim made by several, and unless I missed it, nobody has suggested what this could possibly be. Does anyone have an idea? Even a guess?

    Not attributing to any one poster because I have seen several make the same suggestion.
    NBC management has heard this lie for years and did nothing to stop it because they didn't want to rock the boat.

    Yes, they have some culpability in this.

  10. #40
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,012

    Re: Brian Williams Suspended Six Months in Wake of Investigation

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    But Clinton will get elected after doing the same thing.
    She thought so in 2008.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •