Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 98

Thread: Civil Rights Attorneys Sue Ferguson Over 'Debtors Prisons'

  1. #41
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,101

    Re: Civil Rights Attorneys Sue Ferguson Over 'Debtors Prisons'

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    the person in the other lane that didn't know you were going to change lanes in front of them and had to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting you.
    there is a reason that they put blinkers on a car.

    or they had to swerve out of the way because you just decided to change lanes without signaling.
    you put other people at risk.

    there is a reason that it is a traffic violation for failure to signal.
    None of those things happened. I changed lanes without signaling and nobody else was effected. So who's the victim?

    Right now it's clear that you are arguing just for the sake of arguing just like always.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  2. #42
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,101

    Re: Civil Rights Attorneys Sue Ferguson Over 'Debtors Prisons'

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    Which have no bearing on this case.
    not paying a traffic ticket gets you a warrant for a possible arrest.
    having to many parking tickets and or driving on a suspended license or without insurance gets you taken to jail.

    it has nothing to do with debtors prison. it has to do with breaking the law.
    All 3 have a bearing on debtor's prison. Anyone who can read knows that.

    to bad that is what happens when you drive without insurance or a license you spend a night in jail and get your car impounded.
    same goes for not paying traffic tickets.
    This is the argument in the OP. These are victimless crimes and incarcerating them based on their inability to pay violates their right to equal protection as outlined in the 14th amendment.

    So without that you are a danger to the rest of us because you can't protect us against you for your recklessness. you are being an irresponsible driver.



    No it isn't victimless. you have no idea what you are talking about.
    I'm not arguing that's it's irresponsible to not have insurance. I have insurance. The argument is about incarcerating people because they are poor, and it's clear that you don't like them.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: Civil Rights Attorneys Sue Ferguson Over 'Debtors Prisons'

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    None of those things happened. I changed lanes without signaling and nobody else was effected. So who's the victim?

    Right now it's clear that you are arguing just for the sake of arguing just like always.
    doesn't matter they didn't happen that time. there is a reason that changing lanes without signaling is a moving violation.
    nope not at all.

    it proves that you are wrong. there is a law that says failure to signal is against the law? why? to protect other drivers from your recklessness.

    the fine for a failure to signal depending on the states is 150 dollars and up to 13 days in jail (not usually for first offense).
    multiple fine can range from 250-400.

    use your blinkering it takes 2 seconds to turn it on and depending on the situation you don't even have to turn it off.
    you got lucky it didn't happen that time. that doesn't mean it won't happen next time.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: Civil Rights Attorneys Sue Ferguson Over 'Debtors Prisons'

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    All 3 have a bearing on debtor's prison. Anyone who can read knows that.
    that has no bearing on the case because you aren't being taken to jail for that. you are being taken to jail for breaking the law multiple times.
    failure to pay is a contempt charge for failure to appear.

    on the ticket you have I think 60-90 days depending on the state to either fight the ticket or pay the ticket.
    to do neither is what gets you in trouble and sent to jail.


    This is the argument in the OP. These are victimless crimes and incarcerating them based on their inability to pay violates their right to equal protection as outlined in the 14th amendment.
    no it doesn't. it is perfectly clear written on the ticket that you accept the penalty for not paying or showing up in court. not paying is the same as not showing up for court.
    you are taken to jail for contempt of court.

    I'm not arguing that's it's irresponsible to not have insurance. I have insurance. The argument is about incarcerating people because they are poor, and it's clear that you don't like them.
    they aren't going to jail because they are poor. appeal to emotion. they are going to jail for breaking the law.

    the law says that in order to drive you must:
    1. have a valid drivers license
    2. have valid proof of registration
    3. have valid proof of insurance.

    You don't like the fact that the law applies to everyone equally. it has nothing to do with being poor.

  5. #45
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,101

    Re: Civil Rights Attorneys Sue Ferguson Over 'Debtors Prisons'

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    that has no bearing on the case because you aren't being taken to jail for that. you are being taken to jail for breaking the law multiple times.
    failure to pay is a contempt charge for failure to appear.

    on the ticket you have I think 60-90 days depending on the state to either fight the ticket or pay the ticket.
    to do neither is what gets you in trouble and sent to jail.




    no it doesn't. it is perfectly clear written on the ticket that you accept the penalty for not paying or showing up in court. not paying is the same as not showing up for court.
    you are taken to jail for contempt of court.



    they aren't going to jail because they are poor. appeal to emotion. they are going to jail for breaking the law.

    the law says that in order to drive you must:
    1. have a valid drivers license
    2. have valid proof of registration
    3. have valid proof of insurance.

    You don't like the fact that the law applies to everyone equally. it has nothing to do with being poor.
    You need to read the OP again. It's clear you have no idea what's being discussed. I'm guilty as well of taking this slightly off topic. The article being discussed in the article is about jailing people for the simple reason that they don't have the means to pay the fine and/or fees. It's clear thought that you want to incarcerate everyone for the slightest of transgressions.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  6. #46
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: Civil Rights Attorneys Sue Ferguson Over 'Debtors Prisons'

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    You need to read the OP again. It's clear you have no idea what's being discussed. I'm guilty as well of taking this slightly off topic. The article being discussed in the article is about jailing people for the simple reason that they don't have the means to pay the fine and/or fees. It's clear thought that you want to incarcerate everyone for the slightest of transgressions.
    they arent being jailed for being poor

    they are being jailed for a failure to comply with the laws first, and then failure to live up to the penalties decreed by the state second

    they wouldnt be in jail if they hadnt broken ordinances, or laws......period!
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #47
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,101

    Re: Civil Rights Attorneys Sue Ferguson Over 'Debtors Prisons'

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    they arent being jailed for being poor

    they are being jailed for a failure to comply with the laws first, and then failure to live up to the penalties decreed by the state second

    they wouldnt be in jail if they hadnt broken ordinances, or laws......period!
    They are being jailed because they can't pay the fine. There are also many being incarcerated because they can't pay the additional court fees.

    As Court Fees Rise, The Poor Are Paying The Price : NPR

    In Augusta, Ga., a judge sentenced Tom Barrett to 12 months after he stole a can of beer worth less than $2.

    In Ionia, Mich., 19-year-old Kyle Dewitt caught a fish out of season; then a judge sentenced him to three days in jail.

    In Grand Rapids, Mich., Stephen Papa, a homeless Iraq War veteran, spent 22 days in jail, not for what he calls his "embarrassing behavior" after he got drunk with friends and climbed into an abandoned building, but because he had only $25 the day he went to court.

    The common thread in these cases, and scores more like them, is the jail time wasn't punishment for the crime, but for the failure to pay the increasing fines and fees associated with the criminal justice system.

    A yearlong NPR investigation found that the costs of the criminal justice system in the United States are paid increasingly by the defendants and offenders. It's a practice that causes the poor to face harsher treatment than others who commit identical crimes and can afford to pay. Some judges and politicians fear the trend has gone too far.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  8. #48
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: Civil Rights Attorneys Sue Ferguson Over 'Debtors Prisons'

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    They are being jailed because they can't pay the fine. There are also many being incarcerated because they can't pay the additional court fees.

    As Court Fees Rise, The Poor Are Paying The Price : NPR

    would there be a fine without the infractions?

    would there be tickets if they had kept their car properly licensed?

    when does their personal responsibility play into this?

    like i said earlier.....you stop this, and it gives anyone who is poor the right to totally disregard the laws of society

    insurance? not for me...i'm poor

    change in the parking meter? not for me, i'm poor

    updated tags on their car, and a safety inspection....not for me, i'm poor

    give me a freaking break.....
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. #49
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,101

    Re: Civil Rights Attorneys Sue Ferguson Over 'Debtors Prisons'

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    would there be a fine without the infractions?

    would there be tickets if they had kept their car properly licensed?

    when does their personal responsibility play into this?

    like i said earlier.....you stop this, and it gives anyone who is poor the right to totally disregard the laws of society

    insurance? not for me...i'm poor

    change in the parking meter? not for me, i'm poor

    updated tags on their car, and a safety inspection....not for me, i'm poor

    give me a freaking break.....
    Screw it then. Let's just gas everybody.

    Hey you! Jaywalker! Get against the wall and put your hands up! Do you have any last words?
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  10. #50
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,244

    Re: Civil Rights Attorneys Sue Ferguson Over 'Debtors Prisons'

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    Sure laws are in place for a reason, and some of those reasons are good ones. A traffic violation and failing to pay a fee or fine are victimless. Now if someone commits a traffic violation and it involves damage or injuries to someone else then it no longer is victimless is it. You and ludin need to re-read the OP. You guys are defending an argument that isn't there.
    I don't think you get the point. Failure to pay these tickets for not having the proper paperwork may be "victimless." But in reality one of these dumbasses could hit someone and then their victim is up **** creek. The point is they failed to have the proper documentation, and that documentation is there to protect people from being victims.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •