Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 869

Thread: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses[W:344,535,718]

  1. #1
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses[W:344,535,718]

    Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses - ABC News


    Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses
    Alabama appeared set within hours to become the 37th state where gays can legally wed, prompting one couple to pitch a tent outside a courthouse even as the state's chief justice made an 11th hour bid to keep the weddings on hold Monday.Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore sent a letter Sunday evening to probate judges ordering them to refuse to issue same-sex marriage licenses when the courts opened Monday morning. Moore wrote that the judges weren't bound by a federal judge's ruling Jan. 23 that the marriage ban was unconstitutional."Effective immediately, no probate judge of the state of Alabama nor any agent or employee of any Alabama probate judge shall issue or recognize a marriage license that is inconsistent with (the Alabama Constitution)," Moore wrote.
    Susan Watson, executive director The American Civil Liberties Union of Alabama, called the move by the conservative chief justice "grandstanding" and predicted licenses would be issued shortly."We will see marriage equality in Alabama tomorrow. I don't think the probate judges in Alabama are going to defy a federal court judge's order," Watson said late Sunday. The 7th Circuit in September issued a unanimous ruling overturning the gay marriage bans in Indiana and Wisconsin, legalizing gay marriage in those states.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/09/us...test.html?_r=0
    Alabama's Top Judge: Same-Sex Marriage Is Illegal in State - NBC News

    awwwwwww poor judge has his fweelings hwurt and thinks he has the power to disregard the fed and constitution . . .

    Way to keep it classy Roy! lol

    I hope he is removed from office and he is banned from every participating in government law again.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    What an incredibly effective way to waste taxpayer dollars.

    I feel for those lower judges who will probably lose their jobs.

  3. #3
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    It's the same RR extremist who got ****canned after putting the "10 commandments" statue in the courthouse way back in 2001. Despite that, alabama voters elected him to the *same position* in 2013, and he will be ****canned yet again for this.

    Any probate judge who doesn't follow the federal court order will be sued personally and quite possibly disbarred. So i hope they do try to refuse.

    Comparisons are being made to the george wallace fiasco, when the governor stood in front of the alabama college doors trying to prevent a few black students from entering, and the national guard had to be called out. This is the same kind of hatred. Alabama and oklahoma and michigan are determined to be vilified in history. Now who wants to join them before june, when SCOTUS puts them in their place?

  4. #4
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    1.)What an incredibly effective way to waste taxpayer dollars.[/B]
    2.)I feel for those lower judges who will probably lose their jobs.
    1.) you can say that again
    2.) nah they don't have to listen to that nutter
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #5
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    It's the same RR extremist who got ****canned after putting the "10 commandments" statue in the courthouse way back in 2001. Despite that, alabama voters elected him to the *same position* in 2013, and he will be ****canned yet again for this.

    Any probate judge who doesn't follow the federal court order will be sued personally and quite possibly disbarred. So i hope they do try to refuse.

    Comparisons are being made to the george wallace fiasco, when the governor stood in front of the alabama college doors trying to prevent a few black students from entering, and the national guard had to be called out. This is the same kind of hatred. Alabama and oklahoma and michigan are determined to be vilified in history. Now who wants to join them before june, when SCOTUS puts them in their place?
    yep just pure hatred and bigotry
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #6
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    What an incredibly effective way to waste taxpayer dollars.

    I feel for those lower judges who will probably lose their jobs.
    why would you pity them at all? Doing their job entails following the *federal* court order. The Equality Alabama group is also giving them fair warning they will sue the judges personally and report them to the bar if they deny any marriage licenses.

    Here is the one county judge who seems to get it: "With all due respect to Chief Justice Moore, he’s on the Alabama Supreme Court, and he’s not a federal judge,” - Alan King of Jefferson County

    Except i would contend that moore deserves no respect

    So what's stopping the others from *following the federal court order and the appeals court rejection for a stay and the constitution?* Oh yeah, bigotry

    Maybe if you saw their comments indicating how freely they're deciding this, you'd change your mind. Here's a sampling, many of them coming before this chief justice tard opened his mouth:

    "“Marriage licenses and ceremonies are no longer available at the Pike County Probate Office”

    Washington County Probate Judge Nick Williams released a “declaration in support of marriage” in which he said he would “only issue marriage licenses and solemnize ceremonies consistent with Alabama law and the U.S. Constitution; namely, between one man and one woman only, so help me God.”

    "repugnant and repulsive to God. In other words, I believe Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for just such unnatural conduct between the same sexes" - a supposed brilliant legal mind sitting as a judge who i will not name

    “I’m not going to be a party to it. "I was raised in a Christian home, and I was taught that it is a sin.” - geneva county probate judge

    10 other county judges say they'll end marriage licenses for all couples. That is how deep their bigotry extends

    I wonder how many prisoners and even murderers have married in alabama, yet they gleefully continue their heinous legacy of ****ting on minorities at every turn

  7. #7
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Have fun in line at the unemployment office, your dishonor.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    why would you pity them at all? Doing their job entails following the *federal* court order. The Equality Alabama group is also giving them fair warning they will sue the judges personally and report them to the bar if they deny any marriage licenses.

    Here is the one county judge who seems to get it: "With all due respect to Chief Justice Moore, he’s on the Alabama Supreme Court, and he’s not a federal judge,” - Alan King of Jefferson County

    Except i would contend that moore deserves no respect

    So what's stopping the others from *following the federal court order and the appeals court rejection for a stay and the constitution?* Oh yeah, bigotry

    Maybe if you saw their comments indicating how freely they're deciding this, you'd change your mind. Here's a sampling, many of them coming before this chief justice tard opened his mouth:

    "“Marriage licenses and ceremonies are no longer available at the Pike County Probate Office”

    Washington County Probate Judge Nick Williams released a “declaration in support of marriage” in which he said he would “only issue marriage licenses and solemnize ceremonies consistent with Alabama law and the U.S. Constitution; namely, between one man and one woman only, so help me God.”

    "repugnant and repulsive to God. In other words, I believe Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for just such unnatural conduct between the same sexes" - a supposed brilliant legal mind sitting as a judge who i will not name

    “I’m not going to be a party to it. "I was raised in a Christian home, and I was taught that it is a sin.” - geneva county probate judge

    10 other county judges say they'll end marriage licenses for all couples. That is how deep their bigotry extends

    I wonder how many prisoners and even murderers have married in alabama, yet they gleefully continue their heinous legacy of ****ting on minorities at every turn

    My point was I *perhaps erroneously* assumed those lower judges are elected on a local level. And by doing their job, they would be voted out by the bigots that put this guy in power to begin with.

  9. #9
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    why would you pity them at all? Doing their job entails following the *federal* court order. The Equality Alabama group is also giving them fair warning they will sue the judges personally and report them to the bar if they deny any marriage licenses.

    Here is the one county judge who seems to get it: "With all due respect to Chief Justice Moore, he’s on the Alabama Supreme Court, and he’s not a federal judge,” - Alan King of Jefferson County

    Except i would contend that moore deserves no respect

    So what's stopping the others from *following the federal court order and the appeals court rejection for a stay and the constitution?* Oh yeah, bigotry

    Maybe if you saw their comments indicating how freely they're deciding this, you'd change your mind. Here's a sampling, many of them coming before this chief justice tard opened his mouth:

    "“Marriage licenses and ceremonies are no longer available at the Pike County Probate Office”

    Washington County Probate Judge Nick Williams released a “declaration in support of marriage” in which he said he would “only issue marriage licenses and solemnize ceremonies consistent with Alabama law and the U.S. Constitution; namely, between one man and one woman only, so help me God.”

    "repugnant and repulsive to God. In other words, I believe Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for just such unnatural conduct between the same sexes" - a supposed brilliant legal mind sitting as a judge who i will not name

    “I’m not going to be a party to it. "I was raised in a Christian home, and I was taught that it is a sin.” - geneva county probate judge

    10 other county judges say they'll end marriage licenses for all couples. That is how deep their bigotry extends

    I wonder how many prisoners and even murderers have married in alabama, yet they gleefully continue their heinous legacy of ****ting on minorities at every turn

    Pretty sad, isn't it? Do your jobs, judges, and issue marriage licenses to all couples.

    And yeah, defying the federal court - stupid!

  10. #10
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    My point was I *perhaps erroneously* assumed those lower judges are elected on a local level. And by doing their job, they would be voted out by the bigots that put this guy in power to begin with.
    I don't know if, in most cases, voters pay that much attention to judges. But if someone decides to put a lot of publicity around it then yes, it's possible they'd be voted out. For following the federal constitution...that would suck

Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •