Page 68 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 869

Thread: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses[W:344,535,718]

  1. #671
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses[W:344,535,718]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    You need to quote what he said, and was it a case before the court?

    Ginsberg said, "I think it's doubtful that it wouldn't be accepted" about a case that is before het right now.
    What is she doing, drumming up support for a decision that she supposedly hasn't made yet? She is supposed to be applying the Constitution in her decisions, not saying, "I think that it would not take a large adjustment". WTF??? What the hell does that have to do with it? This woman does not even know what her job is, but that's nothing new.
    First of all, she isn't commenting on a specific case. There is nothing in her statement that is "drumming up support" or indicates that she isn't applying the Constitution to her decision.
    Scalia's comment was no different. In his vitriolic dissent, he lashed out against the other justices, while clearly anticipating a case coming down the pipes that the "Writing is on the wall", saying that the current make-up of the court is going to vote in favor of marriage equality.

    What is sounds like to me is that you don't like the fact that the SCOTUS is going to rule in favor of marriage equality and are stomping your feet in the same manner as Scalia.

    As Justice Kennedy wisely wrote in the DOMA case....while States are free to set rules/requlations governing the granting of marriage licenses, they must do so in a manner that does not violate the rights and privileges guaranteed by the United States Constitution. This was the line that set Scalia off. This doesn't indicate that Kennedy or Ginsburg or any of the other Justices for the matter have "prejudged" the case (any more than they pre-judge ANY case). The reality is that they are saying that they will look at the case to determine whether the state rules run afoul of the USSC. If they do, it will not be upheld. Sorry....but that IS following the Constitution.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #672
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,237

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    No idea what you are talking about.



    Why do you need that? You seem unable to make your case, just able to make irrelevant wise cracks.



    Nobody is saying those rights began with American, that would be dumb.



    As I said before, leave God out of it. Not everyone believes in God. But everyone has those rights.
    If you don't have proof from god, that he has granted us our rights, how do you know that our rights come from god?

    Makes perfect sense.
    Does god only grant rights to Americans?

    Not being irreverent, but where is the proof that our rights come from a supreme being?

    Very simple question.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  3. #673
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Its interesting how conservatives and libertarians seem to turn any policy debate into a states rights issue. The reason that they love state's rights is because they know it is easier to implement and maintain discriminatory laws at the state level.

  4. #674
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,441

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Its interesting how conservatives and libertarians seem to turn any policy debate into a states rights issue. The reason that they love state's rights is because they know it is easier to implement and maintain discriminatory laws at the state level.
    Actually the reason libertarians like states' rights is because it pushes the decision making closer to those who have to live with the consequences of those decisions and allows people to set up communities that accord with their beliefs and desires - within the bounds of the Constitution.

    Additionally we like states rights because it allows for variability and allows us to "vote with our feet" if we happen to not like the society that the laws of the state we're living in create. It essentially fosters competition.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  5. #675
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,521

    re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses[W:344,535,718]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    First of all, she isn't commenting on a specific case.
    LOL! Gee, what case was she talking about? Nah, no specific case. Please, don't insult us.

    There is nothing in her statement that is "drumming up support" or indicates that she isn't applying the Constitution to her decision.
    It's about as obvious as the nose on her face. Really, then what is she doing?

    Scalia's comment was no different. In his vitriolic dissent, he lashed out against the other justices, while clearly anticipating a case coming down the pipes that the "Writing is on the wall", saying that the current make-up of the court is going to vote in favor of marriage equality.
    Wait, Scalia's comment is no different? Then you say it was part of a dissent, which is completely different. He wasn't out doing interviews trying to get support for an unconstitutional action. Furthermore, he describes the current makeup of the court may continue to ignore the Constitution. Excuse me, but that is perfectly permissible.

    What is sounds like to me is that you don't like the fact that the SCOTUS is going to rule in favor of marriage equality and are stomping your feet in the same manner as Scalia.
    I guess you haven't been listening. First of all, it's not really a fact, they haven't made a ruling yet. And Scalia, and every American should be stomping their feet when the court ignores their responsibilities and the Constitution.

    As Justice Kennedy wisely wrote in the DOMA case....while States are free to set rules/regulations governing the granting of marriage licenses, they must do so in a manner that does not violate the rights and privileges guaranteed by the United States Constitution. This was the line that set Scalia off.
    You know why that set him off? Because Kennedy, a Supreme Court Justice, either is ignorant, just plain stupid, or has decided that he doesn't care what the Constitution says, he's going to ignore his responsibility and just make and ends-justifies-the-means decision.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  6. #676
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,521

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    If you don't have proof from god, that he has granted us our rights, how do you know that our rights come from god?

    Makes perfect sense.
    Does god only grant rights to Americans?

    Not being irreverent, but where is the proof that our rights come from a supreme being?

    Very simple question.
    Well, let's cut to the chase. Why do you need proof, and what would this proof be?

    And why don't you try and support your position, in some small way, by clarifying where my rights come from? Who is giving me my rights, why do they have them, and do I get to give them rights too?

    I guess you disagree with this quote...

    “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed…”

    Is that familiar to you? Please go ahead and tell us why these people were wrong.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  7. #677
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses[W:344,535,718]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    LOL! Gee, what case was she talking about? Nah, no specific case. Please, don't insult us.



    It's about as obvious as the nose on her face. Really, then what is she doing?



    Wait, Scalia's comment is no different? Then you say it was part of a dissent, which is completely different. He wasn't out doing interviews trying to get support for an unconstitutional action. Furthermore, he describes the current makeup of the court may continue to ignore the Constitution. Excuse me, but that is perfectly permissible.



    I guess you haven't been listening. First of all, it's not really a fact, they haven't made a ruling yet. And Scalia, and every American should be stomping their feet when the court ignores their responsibilities and the Constitution.



    You know why that set him off? Because Kennedy, a Supreme Court Justice, either is ignorant, just plain stupid, or has decided that he doesn't care what the Constitution says, he's going to ignore his responsibility and just make and ends-justifies-the-means decision.
    LOL...seriously? Kennedy is ignorant or stupid because he points out that State laws are not absolute and must comport with guarantees of the US Constitution? Wow....that's a new one I haven't heard.
    As far as the rest of your "contentions"... I have been listening quite well, thank you. The reality is that the Justices who will rule in the majority will do so because they ARE following and enforcing the Constitution, much to the chagrin of the bigots who want to keep state sponsored discrimination alive and well.

    Oh...and it pretty much IS over. This decision will most likely be a 6-3 decision, maybe even a 7-2 after the last action of the court signaled that possibility (albeit unlikely). Be prepared, no amount of foot stomping and whining is going to stop it.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #678
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Interesting, and I agree, however, who gets to recognize them, and why do they get to do so? It's hard, given your position on gay rights, to deny that in every state that has voted on gay rights specifically, they have been denied the privilege of equal marriage. Yet, it puzzles me how you reconcile the decision of one, or maybe a three person panel of other opinions, over that of an entire collective people? What we have here in Alabama, and in every other state where SSM is now recognized, when it all comes down to it, is a small percentage of people deciding the fate of a very large number of people that oppose their opinions. Doesn't sound like compromise to me, does it to you? Some say, well the will of the majority should not oppress the will of the minority, however, we both know that this really is a play-on-words for the mostly uneducated among us. We have a foundation ingrained in our society we call the constitution which affords states the right, and responsibility to govern themselves. We have a challenge by a small minority to attain special, otherwise previously unrealized rights that are not specifically enumerated within the context of the constitution. It appears we have contradicting amendments, and a disagreement about the kind of rights being sought and how they apply.

    Seems one Federal judge is telling everyone what their rights now are.

    Again, how do YOU, Rogue reconcile what you just said quoted above, with this current brush up?

    Tim-
    In our country the US Constitution is the. Main law of the land. It limits government from being able to limit what we can do by requiring that laws that are challenged claiming a violation of our rights for the most part have to be shown by the government to further some state interest.

    Plus, you need to recheck your information. Four states voted on same sex marriage with different results, three voting it in, and the fourth voting down a state amendment, which allowed the states legislature to enact it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #679
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    So in your view, most gay people in Alabama don't truly have a right to get married, because they're not being recognized?
    They should have the right to get married recognized because they have a right to equal protection of the laws.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #680
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses[W:344,535,718]

    Thought everyone might be interested in this
    NRO Forgets Its Defense Of Scalia Speeches As It Continues To Attack Ginsburg | Blog | Media Matters for America

    National Review Online's foremost legal analyst is continuing his colleagues' attacks on Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg by criticizing her for "speaking publicly on abortion policy," despite previously defending Justice Antonin Scalia's penchant for similar public comments and interviews.

    Whelan's condemnation of Ginsburg and her discussion of general "abortion policy" appears inconsistent with his defense of his former boss, Justice Antonin Scalia, who also frequently speaks on contentious public policy. For example, in 2011, when Scalia spoke at a "closed-door session with a group of conservative lawmakers," Whelan balked at the suggestion that Scalia's attendance at a Tea Party function was inappropriate

    And Whelan registered no objections to Scalia's "long and interesting" interview with New York magazine in 2013, where Scalia discussed his judicial philosophy and how he would decide a constitutional challenge to a hypothetical "flogging" statute, among other ruminations. When asked about his dissent in Lawrence v. Texas where he wrote that Americans had a right to "protect themselves and their families from a lifestyle that they believe to be immoral and destructive," Scalia said, "I would write that again. ... Maybe the world is spinning toward a wider acceptance of homosexual rights, and here's Scalia, standing athwart it. At least standing athwart it as a constitutional entitlement." Scalia also addressed his opinion on equal protection and marriage equality, both public policy topics of past and current interest to the Supreme Court.

Page 68 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •