Page 56 of 87 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 869

Thread: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses[W:344,535,718]

  1. #551
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    With this "living constitution," they're only someone's rights until someone decides that they're not.
    This is true in either case once it gets to the point where the people are not willing to fight for their rights.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #552
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    John Marshall was the one who gave the judicial branch the power you despise.

    And since John Marshall was a distant relative of Thomas Jefferson, I can safely say that he was a founding father.
    No, he wasn't. And Thomas Jefferson was the major voice telling the court they did NOT have the power they assumed. Also against the court's decision to grab power was Madison, the father of the constitution.

  3. #553
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, he wasn't. And Thomas Jefferson was the major voice telling the court they did NOT have the power they assumed. Also against the court's decision to grab power was Madison, the father of the constitution.
    John Marshall made the judicial branch into an equal player in government.

    That is why he is a founding father.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  4. #554
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    That's not what I was asked. Go back and look. You didn't reference the 19th, and some of those others had nothing to do with gender. Plenty of other decisions have been made based using the 14th that had to do with other characteristics, including citizenship or noncitizenship, blood relation vs adopted relation, ability to pay for defense, and others. The 14th extended the US Constitution as being applicable in whole to the states, meaning that if the federal government could not infringe upon a person's right due to the Constitution, then neither could the state government, whether this was religion, speech, due process, unreasonable search and seizure, cruel and unusual punishment, etc.
    Nope. I think you need to bone up on when and why the 14th was proposed and then ratified. Again, the decisions you posted are decisions AFTER another amendment addressing gender was in place. Otherwise women would have had the vote federally before the 19th was passed using the 14th.

  5. #555
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Nope, entirely wrong on wording. There is no "right" here to suppress.
    Individual liberty is the default. You want to restrict the action.

    But tell me more about this "I can't suppress a right because I say they don't have it," mr small-government type. That certainly seems consistent with your supposed worldview.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #556
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    With this "living constitution," they're only someone's rights until someone decides that they're not.
    This another "statement of facts" that isn't actually a reason to ban same-sex marriage? Because it sure sounds like that.

    Inability to provide a reason to ban same-sex marriage seems like an awfully common phenomenon!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #557
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Individual liberty is the default. You want to restrict the action.

    But tell me more about this "I can't suppress a right because I say they don't have it," mr small-government type. That certainly seems consistent with your supposed worldview.
    Get it right, I'm for small FEDERAL government, restricted by the grants of power given it by Constitution only. You large government types always fail to recognize there is more than the federal government.

    And yes, no one can suppress something that does not exist.

  8. #558
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Certainly don't hold your breath for me, I don't believe same-sex marriages are being "banned."
    Arguing semantics. Compelling.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #559
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Nope. I think you need to bone up on when and why the 14th was proposed and then ratified. Again, the decisions you posted are decisions AFTER another amendment addressing gender was in place. Otherwise women would have had the vote federally before the 19th was passed using the 14th.
    Except not all the decisions made where the 14th was used were based off of gender. Plus, that was not what was asked, so you are correcting yourself because you know you're wrong.

    Plus, last I looked, the 19th says absolutely nothing about application of the 14th Amendment. That would indicate that what I said to begin with was absolutely correct. It merely brought women up to the level where Equal Protection applied to them, even though it is not actually stated in any part of the Constitution.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #560
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Except not all the decisions made where the 14th was used were based off of gender. Plus, that was not what was asked, so you are correcting yourself because you know you're wrong.

    Plus, last I looked, the 19th says absolutely nothing about application of the 14th Amendment. That would indicate that what I said to begin with was absolutely correct. It merely brought women up to the level where Equal Protection applied to them, even though it is not actually stated in any part of the Constitution.
    You're not paying attention. The 14th wasn't applied to women until the 19th gave them equal constitutional footing.

Page 56 of 87 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •