Page 26 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 869

Thread: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses[W:344,535,718]

  1. #251
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    My complaint is to do with judicial activism. Doesn't matter the subject.
    Except your definition of "judicial activism" is "any judge who rules in a way I disagree with."

    You haven't responded to any of the actual constitutional arguments the judges are making. You're just declaring them to be wrong. When people point out that literally dozens of judges agree the constitution requires this, you just handwave it. You say it's an appeal to authority but don't provide any rebuttal.

    What state interest is served by denying homosexuals the right to marriage? Because that's the test the 14th amendment requires. You might wish it didn't, but that's the deal.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #252
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    If judges are determining the law of hte land, one's vote doesn't count for much.
    We're not a direct democracy so I really don't give a crap how many people vote against freedom. Judges don't get to change the law because 53% of the population wants them to. You are the one who wants judicial activism. You want judges to change their interpretation of the law and of the constitution based on the will of the people.
    Last edited by Deuce; 02-10-15 at 08:35 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    because alabama is still in the middle ages, something most of europe left behind centuries ago

    btw, how's that "segregation forever" going for you?
    I live in Texas.

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Except your definition of "judicial activism" is "any judge who rules in a way I disagree with."

    You haven't responded to any of the actual constitutional arguments the judges are making. You're just declaring them to be wrong. When people point out that literally dozens of judges agree the constitution requires this, you just handwave it. You say it's an appeal to authority but don't provide any rebuttal.

    What state interest is served by denying homosexuals the right to marriage? Because that's the test the 14th amendment requires. You might wish it didn't, but that's the deal.
    Judicial activism is where a judge overrides the will of the people.

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    We're not a direct democracy so I really don't give a crap how many people vote against freedom. Judges don't get to change the law because 53% of the population wants them to. You are the one who wants judicial activism. You want judges to change their interpretation of the law and of the constitution based on the will of the people.
    That's quite a stretch. Hmm.

  6. #256
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Judicial activism is where a judge overrides the will of the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    We're not a direct democracy so I really don't give a crap how many people vote against freedom. Judges don't get to change the law because 53% of the population wants them to. You are the one who wants judicial activism. You want judges to change their interpretation of the law and of the constitution based on the will of the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    That's quite a stretch. Hmm.
    Disproving yourself in the previous post is hilarious.

    The constitution is the supreme law of the land, not the "will of the people." Not sure what else to tell you. If the will of the people conflicts with the constitution, the constitution wins. Your remedy is to amend the constitution, I suggest you get working on that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #257
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,238

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    This isn't a gay marriage issue, it's a public accommodation law issue. It was already the law that you can't discriminate against a customer on the basis of sexuality. (in many states, anyway)

    The baker was already prevented from denying service to homosexuals.

    Do you want all public accommodation laws repealed or just the ones that protect homosexuals? Religion, race, gender, should we continue to protect those?
    What I want is for people to stop saying "it doesn't affect you".

  8. #258
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,238

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    That's the bigotry we're working on purging.
    Maybe you should start with your own bigotry. The world would be a better place.

  9. #259
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by it's just me View Post
    What I want is for people to stop saying "it doesn't affect you".
    Is there a reason you didn't answer the question about other public accommodation laws? Do you actually have an opinion on them, regarding sexuality or any other classification?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Disproving yourself in the previous post is hilarious.

    The constitution is the supreme law of the land, not the "will of the people." Not sure what else to tell you. If the will of the people conflicts with the constitution, the constitution wins. Your remedy is to amend the constitution, I suggest you get working on that.
    The constitution never mentions your pet issue here. Judges "interpret" the constitution in a way that suits their agenda and, in so doing, they actually determine what the law is.

    So the judge's interpretation, not the actual constitution, defines the law of the land.

    Also, you fall in a common fallacy I see alot on this message board. Just because something happens to be the law of the land doesnt make that right, and it doesn't close the topic for discussion.

Page 26 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •