Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
Results 421 to 428 of 428

Thread: Iran's Khamenei says could accept fair nuclear compromise

  1. #421
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Iran's Khamenei says could accept fair nuclear compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Ok. So you're arguing that the US does, or doesn't have the authority to decide whether Iran has a military nuclear capability? Never mind the fact that Iran has maintained the civilian nature of the program all along!
    A civilian nuclear program is like 90% of a nuclear weapons program, and they could go the last 10% in secret and announce it after the fact. That, or let it be an open secret, like Israel does its nuclear weapons arsenal. Given Iran's ambitions in the region, there's no particular reason to believe them when they say they have no intention of going that last 10%.

    My main point is that all authority is self appointed. Even in democracies, the electorate has collectively self appointed itself the right to decide who their leader will be. Iran's nuclear ambitions are self appointed, and the United States' intention to stop them is self appointed.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 02-14-15 at 12:47 AM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  2. #422
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Iran's Khamenei says could accept fair nuclear compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    A civilian nuclear program is like 90% of a nuclear weapons program, and they could go the last 10% in secret and announce it after the fact. That, or let it be an open secret, like Israel does its nuclear weapons arsenal. Given Iran's ambitions in the region, there's no particular reason to believe them when they say they have no intention of going that last 10%.

    My main point is that all authority is self appointed. Even in democracies, the electorate has collectively self appointed itself the right to decide who their leader will be. Iran's nuclear ambitions are self appointed, and the United States' intention to stop them is self appointed.
    So your arguing that there are no authorities, and as such it's silly that America might be thinking its their business. I think I understand your point.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #423
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Iran's Khamenei says could accept fair nuclear compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    So your arguing that there are no authorities, and as such it's silly that America might be thinking its their business. I think I understand your point.
    No. I'm saying that you accusing America's authority of being self appointed is unmeaningful because all authority is self appointed.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  4. #424
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Iran's Khamenei says could accept fair nuclear compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    No. I'm saying that you accusing America's authority of being self appointed is unmeaningful because all authority is self appointed.
    Right, so then there is no authority, I think I have your opinion.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #425
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Iran's Khamenei says could accept fair nuclear compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Right, so then there is no authority, I think I have your opinion.
    Self-appointed authority is still authority.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  6. #426
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Iran's Khamenei says could accept fair nuclear compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Self-appointed authority is still authority.
    Ok, I'm sorry that your point escapes me. And has pulled me far from what's important to me, which is that I don't consider what Iran does to be decided by Washington.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #427
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Iran's Khamenei says could accept fair nuclear compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Ok, I'm sorry that your point escapes me. And has pulled me far from what's important to me, which is that I don't consider what Iran does to be decided by Washington.
    That's not plausible in a world where techno-sorcery enables the development of bombs that destroy entire cities. International relations are dog eat dog or socially Darwinistic because humans aren't total monsters, but they aren't strictly egalitarian either.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #428
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Iran's Khamenei says could accept fair nuclear compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    That's not plausible in a world where techno-sorcery enables the development of bombs that destroy entire cities. International relations are dog eat dog or socially Darwinistic because humans aren't total monsters, but they aren't strictly egalitarian either.
    Actually, I'll somewhat agree with you on that. It's one reason I believe in a balance of power, as opposed to a single superpower.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •