Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 70

Thread: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

  1. #31
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The truth? Yeah, I do. And those folks aren't even counted in the unemployment rate.
    Why should they be? I often hear people complain that "people who stopped looking are no longer counted as unemployed," but no one ever tries to explain WHY they should be considered unemployed.

    Ok, so why should someone who is not trying to get a job be classified as unemployed? And if you don't want to include all not trying to work (such as retirees, housewives, students, disabled etc) then why do you want to include whatever group you do want to include?
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  2. #32
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ...Cons will have to shift their criticism to income disparity, where they do have a case... as long as they are honest that income disparity is a 30 year problem, not something created by Obama.
    How ironic that cons are taking up an issue that is usually reserved for liberals, and ones that they often claim they don't care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  3. #33
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    When I want an opinion...
    ...you will give it to us.

    At least thats what I tell my wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,986

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The harsher reality is.....
    "Obama unemployment rate?" lol

    You do know how to read that chart, right? In 2002-2004, the U6 unemployment rate was ALSO at 10%.

    Participation in the labor force also flattened out in 2014. While it is low by recent standards (it was last at its current rates in the 1980s), and 1 year does not indicate a trend, it is certainly not the case that we are at the lowest LFPR in US history. In the 1950s, LFPR was below 60%; between 1960 and 1980, it was below 62%.

    Its peak was 66%. We should also note the reasons for this: From the 1960s to 2001, women were steadily joining the workforce (a change conservatives protested for decades), as men were gradually exiting it. Women's participation peaked in 2001, and has slowly dropped.

    LFPR is not just a function of people working. It also reflects people retiring, and people staying in school longer.

  5. #35
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    The topic that I find most interesting is "what do we do when technology has replaced the need for human labor to the point that there are not enough 40 hour a week jobs for every family to have one". My favorite answer for the solution to the problem is shorter working hours to spread the available work in such a way that we have more jobs.

    This fact is evidence that our economy is moving exactly in this direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  6. #36
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Here is a link to the jobs report: Employment Situation Summary


    " The labor force participation rate rose by 0.2 percentage point to 62.9 percent, following a decline of equal magnitude in the prior month." So really, there isn't a change in the LFPR as we were at 62.9 back in December. So that really doesn't mean much.

    "Job gains occurred in retail trade, construction, health care, financial activities, and manufacturing." The largest industry in which new jobs occur is retail, jobs which we know are low-paying.
    The labor force participation rate pretty much leveled off about 14 mths ago. I suspect that's a sign that our economy started a "for real" recovery around that time. I suspect that ultimately the lfpr will continue to fall, as we become a more wealthy nation, and as our society ages and chooses to retire.

    Retail jobs may be low paying, but the other three categories are generally considered high paying. So what's your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  7. #37
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    And he's wrong:


    Low? Yes. Lowest it's ever been? Nope.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  8. #38
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The truth? Yeah, I do. And those folks aren't even counted in the unemployment rate.
    Why would employed people be counted as unemployed?

    Also, the percent of people who are employed part time by choice is increasing, while the percent who are employed part time for economic reasons is declining.

    Seems that for the most part, we are CHOOSING to work shorter hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #39
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Why would employed people be caused as unemployed?

    Also, the percent of people who are employed part time by choice is increasing, while the percent who are employed part time for economic reasons is declining.

    Seems that for the most part, we are CHOOSING to work shorter hours.
    The thing that makes least sense is that Part time for Economic reasosns is subjective and would make things very confiusing.

    For example: Person A and Person B are both servers as the same restaurant. A only wants a part time job in order to look after the kids before and after school, so works 20 hours/week. B works a full time schedule of 40 hours/week. Then business gets a litle slow and B and has a couple of shifts cut short so only works 34 hours that week, which happens to be the reference week for the Household Survey. A is Employed, Usually Works Part Time, and B is Employed, Part Time for Economic Reasons.

    So some people want B to be called Unemployed in which we would have the case where B usually works twice the number of hours as A, still has a job and makes more money than A, but B is unemployed and A is employed. That's nonsensical.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  10. #40
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    The labor force participation rate pretty much leveled off about 14 mths ago. I suspect that's a sign that our economy started a "for real" recovery around that time. I suspect that ultimately the lfpr will continue to fall, as we become a more wealthy nation, and as our society ages and chooses to retire.

    Retail jobs may be low paying, but the other three categories are generally considered high paying. So what's your point?
    Yes retail jobs are low-paying, however when you compound that with previous economic data, such as in November 2014 with retail being the one of the two largest growers (Employment Situation Summary) the situation doesn't look well.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •