Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 70

Thread: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

  1. #11
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,098

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    The labor force participation rate increased. Many conservatives claim that is more important than the U3.
    ...which is where most conservatives have run and hid knowing the unemployment rates that are approaching full employment would otherwise mean they were completely wrong about the economic track of the country.

    The Cons find solace in the Labor participation rate based on the fact very few people under stand its components. However, those of us the know the components of this, particularly the Not in the WorkForce component, realize it is almost entirely made up of retired persons, stay-at-home moms, students and disabled. The fact these people do not have to work is a sign of strength in the economy, not weakness.

    In short, as to unemployment, the Cons can run, but they can not hide. The Cons will have to shift their criticism to income disparity, where they do have a case... as long as they are honest that income disparity is a 30 year problem, not something created by Obama.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,981

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    That's right. Sorry, I forget the rules sometimes. Maybe because they change on a month by month bases.
    I think that's the biggest complaint I have with those who call themselves conservative...they have no convictions, no standards. Their only conviction, their only standard, is to criticize President Obama.

    It just makes them look so damn stupid. A real conservative would be happy the economy is gaining so many private sector jobs. It just seems like most of those who call themselves "conservative" (at least those who shout the loudest) are actually upset when good news come from the jobs report, because all they can see is how it affects their team.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    How is smoothing out the curve to see the actual trend instead of regular seasonal changes moving goalposts? Which of the lines below better depicts the trend in Employment?

    When I want an opinion about the BLS from an ex-BLS bureaucrat (like you claim to be) who is INCREDIBLY biased and has shown time and time and time and time and time again to be GIGANTICALLY pro-BLS to the point of creepy (imo)...I will let you know.

    P.S. I would not hold my breath.


    Btw...I don't want the BLS 'smoothing' anything out. I want them to collect the data and post the raw data and keep their creative math and models to themselves.
    But since, as the Head of Gallup stated, the U-3 is a 'big lie'...I am not holding my breath on that one either.
    Last edited by DA60; 02-06-15 at 11:02 AM.

  4. #14
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    When I want an opinion about the BLS from an ex-BLS bureaucrat (like you claim to be) who is INCREDIBLY biased and has shown time and time and time and time and time again to be GIGANTICALLY pro-BLS to the point of creepy (imo)...I will let you know.

    P.S. I would not hold my breath.
    I wasn't giving an opinion, I was asking a question. One you chose not to answer.

    And yet you have never actually pointed out one single thing I've ever written that is biased.

    And I note that you cannot actually back up your claim.

    So let's try again....give us unbiased factual link that shows that seasonal adjustment is moving the goal posts rather than an acceptable statistical practice OR that is distorts the true picture.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  5. #15
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Btw...I don't want the BLS 'smoothing' anything out. I want them to collect the data and post the raw data and keep their creative math and models to themselves.
    But since, as the Head of Gallup stated, the U-3 is a 'big lie'...I am not holding my breath on that one either.
    You couldn't make sense of the raw data. Besides, it would be illegal as a violation of privacy rights and confidentiality agreements with respondents to release raw data.

    But, luckily, you don't make policy, because most people aren't trained statisticians, as you apparently are, who can tell at a glance what is a seasonal component and what is an underlying change. I'm impressed...I don't know any other statisticians who could do that.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    I wasn't giving an opinion, I was asking a question. One you chose not to answer.

    And yet you have never actually pointed out one single thing I've ever written that is biased.

    And I note that you cannot actually back up your claim.

    So let's try again....give us unbiased factual link that shows that seasonal adjustment is moving the goal posts rather than an acceptable statistical practice OR that is distorts the true picture.
    One) I did answer your question.

    And Two) I already showed you the evidence - from the BLS themselves - that they are moving the goalposts again.

    That is not good enough for you - and of course it won't be, no one can dare post negative about your precious BLS - I don't care.


    Once again, and I have asked you this umpteen times, please stop wasting my time with your opinions (or questions) as I have no respect for your opinion on this subject. NONE.
    Either post data/facts directly from the BLS or please leave me alone.
    You are good for one thing to me...understanding how to find data on the BLS website.
    You are otherwise just a useless ex-bureaucrat from a semi-treasonous part of the government that (Imo - and I cannot factually prove this) deliberately distorts the truth for the benefit of the government.

    That you claim to have worked for this pathetic group AND you obsessively defend them makes you nothing more in my eyes then a little, trained, government minion who is contributing to the continued decline of this once great country called America through (in this case) the lies and disinformation the BLS continues to post.


    Now please leave me alone before I get so animated that I get banned.
    Last edited by DA60; 02-06-15 at 11:24 AM.

  7. #17
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    One) I did answer your question.
    No you didn't. I asked HOW it was moving the goal posts and which line better depicted the trend. You did not answer either question.

    And Two) I already showed you the evidence - from the BLS themselves - that they are moving the goalposts again.
    No you did not.

    That is not good enough for you - and of course it won't be, no one can dare post negative about your precious BLS - I don't care.
    I find it interesting that you are completely incapable of even considering that you might be wrong. If I correct you, then it can't be that I'm right...I'm just biased and partisan. This is like you presenting your opinions or others' opinions, but demanding everyone else give unbiased facts (and of course anything that disagrees with you is biased).

    Once again, and I have asked you this umpteen times, please stop wasting my time with your opinions (or questions) as I have no respect for your opinion on this subject. NONE.
    You're under no obligation to reply, so I'm not wasting your time. You can always put me on ignore.


    Now leave me alone before I get so animated that I get banned.
    You're funny.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    You couldn't make sense of the raw data. Besides, it would be illegal as a violation of privacy rights and confidentiality agreements with respondents to release raw data.

    But, luckily, you don't make policy, because most people aren't trained statisticians, as you apparently are, who can tell at a glance what is a seasonal component and what is an underlying change. I'm impressed...I don't know any other statisticians who could do that.
    Ahhh...there it is.

    We the public should not be shown the raw data because we could not make sense of it.

    Therefore, we should trust bureaucrats like you to mold the data and turn it into a form that we the ignorant masses can understand.

    There we have it...the arrogance of the bureaucracy. Telling us what we can and cannot understand. Treating us like children.

    Only the BLS is righteous enough to have access to the raw data. For if we the public were to gaze upon it...we would surely turn to dust.


    Whatever Mr. Minion.

  9. #19
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    I wasn't giving an opinion, I was asking a question. One you chose not to answer.

    And yet you have never actually pointed out one single thing I've ever written that is biased.

    And I note that you cannot actually back up your claim.

    So let's try again....give us unbiased factual link that shows that seasonal adjustment is moving the goal posts rather than an acceptable statistical practice OR that is distorts the true picture.
    The seasonal adjustments likely distorted the numbers some for the first three years after the recession because it hit in winter and would have been carried through for the lookback in the models upon which those seasonal adjustments are made. We are beyond that window now though, Now your trend argument is a valid one, but unfortunately, the fed makes its related monetary policy decisions mostly on a month to month basis I think.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    No you didn't. I asked HOW it was moving the goal posts and which line better depicted the trend. You did not answer either question.

    No you did not.

    I find it interesting that you are completely incapable of even considering that you might be wrong. If I correct you, then it can't be that I'm right...I'm just biased and partisan. This is like you presenting your opinions or others' opinions, but demanding everyone else give unbiased facts (and of course anything that disagrees with you is biased).


    You're under no obligation to reply, so I'm not wasting your time. You can always put me on ignore.



    You're funny.

    So, I am asking you to leave me alone and you refuse to stop harassing me?

    fine...then I will put you on my Ignore list.


    Good day.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •