Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 746

Thread: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

  1. #731
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Comparing stories from centuries before Christ, to today, is false equivalency at its best.
    How so? Obviously Christianity is different now, but the religious texts aren't any different. What is different is the aspect of the texts that people focus on. Religions change. That's why I said that Islam is like a knife, you can use it to be productive or you can use it to kill. Like conservatives say, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

    That's the lesson we need to take from this. Our actions help direct the focus of Islam. If we attack Islam, Islam will focus on violence and fight back. If we defend Islam from those who'd pervert it, then Islam will moderate. As far as actions go, we're still doing the same thing; ie fighting ISIS. But this is one case where our global rhetoric can help or hurt our cause.

  2. #732
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    18

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    How so? Obviously Christianity is different now, but the religious texts aren't any different. What is different is the aspect of the texts that people focus on. Religions change. That's why I said that Islam is like a knife, you can use it to be productive or you can use it to kill. Like conservatives say, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

    That's the lesson we need to take from this. Our actions help direct the focus of Islam. If we attack Islam, Islam will focus on violence and fight back. If we defend Islam from those who'd pervert it, then Islam will moderate. As far as actions go, we're still doing the same thing; ie fighting ISIS. But this is one case where our global rhetoric can help or hurt our cause.
    The idea that modifying our foreign policy will quell the jihadi threat is nonsense. Even if we were to never intervene in an international conflict the mujahideen would still find some justification to try and kill us, and probably point to some "Zionist conspiracy" while doing it

  3. #733
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    How so? Obviously Christianity is different now, but the religious texts aren't any different. What is different is the aspect of the texts that people focus on. Religions change. That's why I said that Islam is like a knife, you can use it to be productive or you can use it to kill. Like conservatives say, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

    That's the lesson we need to take from this. Our actions help direct the focus of Islam. If we attack Islam, Islam will focus on violence and fight back. If we defend Islam from those who'd pervert it, then Islam will moderate. As far as actions go, we're still doing the same thing; ie fighting ISIS. But this is one case where our global rhetoric can help or hurt our cause.
    Islam has been focused on violence since its founding...Our actions are irrelevant in their quest.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #734
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Islam has been focused on violence since its founding...Our actions are irrelevant in their quest.
    Grant, see what I mean. 1.6 billion get lumped in with a small minority.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #735
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Grant, see what I mean. 1.6 billion get lumped in with a small minority.
    Tough ****....So when the Islamist rail against the "great Satan" in speaking about us, I suppose you think that is our fault too.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #736
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Tough ****....So when the Islamist rail against the "great Satan" in speaking about us, I suppose you think that is our fault too.
    Hardly, but that doesn't mean ****. They are here making a false argument that we can respond to.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #737
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Hardly, but that doesn't mean ****. They are here making a false argument that we can respond to.
    Oh, so when they lump us all in together then to you "that doesn't mean ****"....And you don't respond to a false argument by trying to kiss their asses.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #738
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh, so when they lump us all in together then to you "that doesn't mean ****"....And you don't respond to a false argument by trying to kiss their asses.
    There's no one here to respond to. Show me one person making that silly argument and I'll talk to them as well. Silly is silly no matter who does it. And it's silly to think we should just throw out random arguments to people not here to respond. It doesn't change the falsehood of your argument.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #739
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There's no one here to respond to. Show me one person making that silly argument and I'll talk to them as well. Silly is silly no matter who does it. And it's silly to think we should just throw out random arguments to people not here to respond. It doesn't change the falsehood of your argument.
    Oh please, buy a ticket to Tehran then....One way preferably
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #740
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh please, buy a ticket to Tehran then....One way preferably
    Once again, you make no sense at all. Either present evidence of your false claim or admit the error.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •