Page 54 of 75 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 746

Thread: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

  1. #531
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You tell me what the connection is and if I disagree, I'll tell you why.
    Nah. How 'bout you look over the time frames, give it your best guess and I'll tell you if you're right or not.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  2. #532
    Professor
    jpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,482

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He called homosexuality a sin, too. You gonna keep bragging on him?
    Jesus never said a word about homosexuality. Gee, it sure get old teaching "Christians" what is and is not in the New Testament. Go on. Show me a direct attribution from Jesus that mentions homosexuality--not quotes by a guy who never met him--Jesus himself (if they existed, they'd be found in the Gospels, by the way. There are lots of quotes in the Gospels about being rich, and about being hypocrites, and about judging other people, but nothing about homosexuality).

    Hypocrite.
    Last edited by jpn; 02-11-15 at 10:56 PM.

  3. #533
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Nah. How 'bout you look over the time frames, give it your best guess and I'll tell you if you're right or not.
    You're the judge of what's right, or not? Sorry, dude, I'm taking the bait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #534
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by jpn View Post
    Jesus never said a word about homosexuality. Gee, it sure get old teaching "Christians" what is and is not in the New Testament. Go on. Show me a direct attribution from Jesus that mentions homosexuality--not quotes by a guy who never met him--Jesus himself (if they existed, they'd be found in the Gospels, by the way. There are lots of quotes in the Gospels about being rich, and about being hypocrites, and about judging other people, but nothing about homosexuality).

    Hypocrite.
    You do know that Jesus and God are the same. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #535
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're the judge of what's right, or not? Sorry, dude, I'm taking the bait.
    And this is why I won't just tell you what those time frames have in common. You'd probably disagree with me anyway despite the truth they reveal.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  6. #536
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    And this is why I won't just tell you what those time frames have in common. You'd probably disagree with me anyway despite the truth they reveal.
    You won't say, because you're entire premise has been blown out of the water and you feel somewhat sure that your current fall back positiin will get smoked, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #537
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You won't say, because you're entire premise has been blown out of the water and you feel somewhat sure that your current fall back positiion will get smoked, too.
    There's no fall back position. I've never defended the atrocities radical Muslims committed in the past whether it was to gain larger swaths of territory, for personal glory, for riches akin to the Vikings in their day or just to spread their religious ideology, nor do I defend them now. So, you can come off that kick.

    You're the one who's ducking the question because you know that to state the obvious commonality between each group of people in the time frames I've presented would mean you'd have to acknowledge the truth as the President has acknowledged. So, I'll ask the question again and see if you're brave enough to state the obvious common factor between both religious people - Muslims and Christians - in the time frames mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice
    Pay very close attention to events from the following timeframes: 632, 850, 1026, 1050, 1088, and 1098. What's the connection (common factor) between each event in time according to the timeline presented in posts #520 & 521? Islam and Europe Timeline (355-1291 A.D.)
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  8. #538
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    There's no fall back position. I've never defended the atrocities radical Muslims committed in the past whether it was to gain larger swaths of territory, for personal glory, for riches akin to the Vikings in their day or just to spread their religious ideology, nor do I defend them now. So, you can come off that kick.
    You omitted Muslim atrocities and aggression, colonialism, even. Either because you didn't know about it, or because you knew that the information would destroy you, "the crusaders were evil", meme. It was dishonest, at best.

    You're the one who's ducking the question because you know that to state the obvious commonality between each group of people in the time frames I've presented would mean you'd have to acknowledge the truth as the President has acknowledged. So, I'll ask the question again and see if you're brave enough to state the obvious common factor between both religious people - Muslims and Christians - in the time frames mentioned.
    I'm not ducking anything. If you have a point to make, make it.

    Obama never mentioned Muslim aggression then, either. There's a reason for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #539
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You omitted Muslim atrocities and aggression, colonialism, even. Either because you didn't know about it, or because you knew that the information would destroy you, "the crusaders were evil", meme. It was dishonest, at best.
    That right there tells me you completely misunderstood the argument I was making (perhaps purposely). Mine wasn't a flat out comparison, i.e., "Muslim extremist good, Christian Crusaders evil." You know very well that wasn't the argument I was presenting. I merely pointed out that during the Crusades, Christians committed evil acts in the name of their God on behalf of their Christian faith just as Muslims committed evil acts in the name of their God on behalf of their Islamic faith, too. And that was the point of listing the time frames 632, 850, 1026, 1050, 1088, and 1098 because each makes this point very clear.

    I'm not ducking anything. If you have a point to make, make it.
    Oh, yes you were. But my point is now made. All you had to do was acknowledge the truth of it.

    Obama never mentioned Muslim aggression then, either. There's a reason for that.
    That's not entirely true. From the his National Prayer Breakfast speech, 11th paragraph, 2nd sentence:

    From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it.
    So, while he didn't say "Muslims" in that passage, he made it clear that those who are claiming to be following the teachings of the Islamic faith are, in fact, distorting it. And who follows the teachings of Islam? Muslims. Now, it's true he doesn't outright mention their past aggressive and barbaric acts. That much is true. So, to your point his speech doesn't take both Muslims and Christians to task for their past aggressions. But that wasn't the point of the speech. It wasn't about which religious group committed the worst atrocities moreso than the other. It was about:

    So how do we, as people of faith, reconcile these realities -- the profound good, the strength, the tenacity, the compassion and love that can flow from all of our faiths, operating alongside those who seek to hijack religious for their own murderous ends?
    If you'd cared to just listen to the speech or read it, then you would have known exactly what his point was. But as usual, folks are too busy trying to press their own agenda to see through their own ideological mud slinging that all they can see is the partisan view that they either create or one that is thrust before them as believable truth. I'm with you, however, in that the President should have given a history lesson on the evils Muslim extremist have done in the past as well, but it's disingenuous to suggest he never called out radical Islam or that Christians of the distant and recent past haven't used their faith to do evil as well.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 02-12-15 at 02:16 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  10. #540
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    That right there tells me you completely misunderstood the argument I was making (perhaps purposely). Mine wasn't a flat out comparison, i.e., "Muslim extremist good, Christian Crusaders evil." You know very well that wasn't the argument I was presenting. I merely pointed out that during the Crusades, Christians committed evil acts in the name of their God on behalf of their Christian faith just as Muslims committed evil acts in the name of their God on behalf of their Islamic faith, too. And that was the point of listing the time frames 632, 850, 1026, 1050, 1088, and 1098 because each makes this point very clear.
    This is so trite, so banal, that any President expressing these mundane thoughts should be booed off the stage.

    Of course Christians have acted badly in the past. So have Jews, Chinese, UN workers, the French, Red Cross employees, Hindus, Teachers Unions, and every damned group in the history of mankind. Does this really need explaining? Or mentioning? No, of course not. We all know that, or should. Then, if we all accept this as common knowledge, why did BHO even bother mentioning it? Was this a recent insight of his?

    The dumbing down of the Presidency has now clearly led to the dumbing down of public discourse.

Page 54 of 75 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •