Page 30 of 75 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 746

Thread: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

  1. #291
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,502
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I think nature itself has given all of mankind the idea of god.

    ISIS are fanatics, pure and simple.
    As are other militant Islamic groups or any who do evil in the name of whatever religion or ideology they profess. And the militant Muslims all are dangerous and they all will destroy, murder, maim, torture, kidnap, and terrorize as many 'infidels' or disobedient Muslims as they can all presumably to honor and obey Allah. (I suspect some don't even believe what they profess but do love having the power and ability to commit mayhem.)

    But the truth is that MOST terrorism in the world today is commited by militant Islam. We we downplay or ignore that at our peril.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Did the Islamic kingdom in Spain persucute Christians and Jews?
    How is what happened a thousand years ago is relevant today? Are you realy parroting the historically confused Barrack Obama?

  3. #293
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    How is what happened a thousand years ago is relevant today? Are you realy parroting the historically confused Barrack Obama?
    Why do we have to define ISIS by the religion they claim to represent and not for what they actually are: monsters and power mad individuals using the religion of Islam to justify acts of inhumanity.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  4. #294
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,502
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    They were indifferent to the genocide and mass murders being carried out by Saddam Hussein and indifferent now to the plight of those Muslims and Christians now suffering under ISL, Al Qaeda and Boco Harom. They believe that right is doing nothing to help their fellow man.

    It was the same during the Cold War. They are not worthy of anyone's respect.
    We do have to be careful here though. Sometimes what feels so right at the time turns out to be so very wrong. What truly helps our fellow man? When we look at so many things from the Civil War to Prohibition to insertion of social mores into the courts to anti-poverty programs to Affirmative Action to broadening rights and tolerance, etc., etc., etc., the honest critical thinker looks at the unintended destructive consequences as well as whatever good is accomplished. And those of us who want to be right instead of just appearing to be noble try to be careful that when we intend to do good that we don't make a bad situation worse.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  5. #295
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    As are other militant Islamic groups or any who do evil in the name of whatever religion or ideology they profess. And the militant Muslims all are dangerous and they all will destroy, murder, maim, torture, kidnap, and terrorize as many 'infidels' or disobedient Muslims as they can all presumably to honor and obey Allah. (I suspect some don't even believe what they profess but do love having the power and ability to commit mayhem.)

    But the truth is that MOST terrorism in the world today is commited by militant Islam. We we downplay or ignore that at our peril.
    The only reason you even know about Islam is because 16 madmen flew planes into our buildings and killed 3000 of our citizens.

    I hate the terrorists for what I do, but I will never bring myself to condemn the entire religion.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  6. #296
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,502
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    The only reason you even know about Islam is because 16 madmen flew planes into our buildings and killed 3000 of our citizens.

    I hate the terrorists for what I do, but I will never bring myself to condemn the entire religion.
    Nobody is condemning an entire religion. We are, however, acknowledging the reality of the situation. It isn't mostly Christians or Jews or Buddhists or Hindus who are terrorizing a great portion of the world today. It is mostly Muslims.

    And only those who are ignorant of history were ignorant of Islam prior to 9/11. We remember the six-day-war and other skirmishes that the Israelis had with their Islamic neighbors. We remember the overrunning of our Iranian embassy and a hostage crisis that existed for more than 400 days. We remember the bombing of our barracks in Beirut and we remember the Cole. And we remember the first bombing of the WTC. And many many other incidents as I previously posted in this thread. Did you really think all that happened in a vacuum?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Why do we have to define ISIS by the religion they claim to represent and not for what they actually are: monsters and power mad individuals using the religion of Islam to justify acts of inhumanity.
    They are Muslims. Whether they are confused about the contents of the Koran is up to their spiritual advisers, not me.

    What we do know is that there are Islamic terrorists throughout the world carrying out killings and torture according to their interpretation of their holy book, and that's just a fact. Whether they are 'good' Muslims or 'bad' Muslims seems open to interpretation but, assuredly, they are Muslims.

  8. #298
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Nobody is condemning an entire religion. We are, however, acknowledging the reality of the situation. It isn't mostly Christians or Jews or Buddhists or Hindus who are terrorizing a great portion of the world today. It is mostly Muslims.

    And only those who are ignorant of history were ignorant of Islam prior to 9/11. We remember the six-day-war and other skirmishes that the Israelis had with their Islamic neighbors. We remember the overrunning of our Iranian embassy and a hostage crisis that existed for more than 400 days. We remember the bombing of our barracks in Beirut and we remember the Cole. And we remember the first bombing of the WTC. And many many other incidents as I previously posted in this thread. Did you really think all that happened in a vacuum?
    I will not call ISIS or any group that sympathizes with their views anything other than what I already call them.

    Madmen, fanatics, murderers, sociopaths, terrorists.

    I can identify them without dragging the religion they claim to represent into discusion.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    We do have to be careful here though. Sometimes what feels so right at the time turns out to be so very wrong. What truly helps our fellow man? When we look at so many things from the Civil War to Prohibition to insertion of social mores into the courts to anti-poverty programs to Affirmative Action to broadening rights and tolerance, etc., etc., etc., the honest critical thinker looks at the unintended destructive consequences as well as whatever good is accomplished. And those of us who want to be right instead of just appearing to be noble try to be careful that when we intend to do good that we don't make a bad situation worse.
    I agree absolutely. But that's where good judgement and leadership with long term strategies come in.

    During the Cold War there was largely a continuation of the policies suggested by George Kennan but in the case of the Middle East the policies of one administration, decided on by both political parties (with even Jimmy Carter belatedly catching on), was completely overturned by the succeeding President who didn't seem aware of the consequences of his actions.

    Will the next President overturn this isolationist policy or will the nation be at war again, and another change ensure four years later? There has to be a long term strategy in place and if there is one in the present administration few seem to know what it is.

  10. #300
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Obama condemns those who seek to 'hijack religion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    They are Muslims. Whether they are confused about the contents of the Koran is up to their spiritual advisers, not me.

    What we do know is that there are Islamic terrorists throughout the world carrying out killings and torture according to their interpretation of their holy book, and that's just a fact. Whether they are 'good' Muslims or 'bad' Muslims seems open to interpretation but, assuredly, they are Muslims.
    And if we I idenify them like that, you are giving ISIS the ability to drag 1.5 billion people into a war of self-destruction.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

Page 30 of 75 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •