Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 155

Thread: NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

    Looks like the war drums are starting. The pieces are coming into place on the board.

    NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

    NATO is set to agree on a major boost to its defences in eastern Europe including six bases and a "spearhead" force of 5000 troops in response to what it called Russian aggression in Ukraine.

    Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg insisted that the moves likely to be approved by defence ministers meeting in Brussels were purely defensive, but the increased presence on Russia's borders is likely to rile Moscow.

    With Eastern European states concerned by the worst tensions with Russia since the Cold War, the bases will be in the alliance's three Baltic states -- Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, where the alliance has had little presence until now -- plus Poland, Romania and Bulgaria.

  2. #2
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,076

    Re: NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

    The war drums started back in February 2014 with the Russian invasion of Crimea.

    Russia's neighbors, including fellow EEU members Belarus and Kazakhstan, are nervous and rightfully so.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

    Yep. That's all part of it. The world appears to be marching to a nuclear war.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,079

    Re: NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Yep. That's all part of it. The world appears to be marching to a nuclear war.
    why not just a conventional war hear and there along Russia's border unless it looks like a nuclear state is going to be crushed and occupied it doesn't make sense to end the world...not sure it makes sense to do that in any case

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    why not just a conventional war hear and there along Russia's border unless it looks like a nuclear state is going to be crushed and occupied it doesn't make sense to end the world...not sure it makes sense to do that in any case
    No it doesn't make any sense at all.

    My worry is that there appears to be an element here in the US that feels that the US needs to be giving a significant amount of military support to Ukraine in it's efforts. They will accuse the President of being weak if he does not do so. Such charges of weakness could lead to U.S. involvement to the extent that it becomes our war. At that point, it will result in a nuclear war because Russia simply cannot compete with U.S. conventional forces. At a certain point, neither side can afford to lose. That is my worry.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    The war drums started back in February 2014 with the Russian invasion of Crimea.

    Russia's neighbors, including fellow EEU members Belarus and Kazakhstan, are nervous and rightfully so.
    But but but, NATO is bolstering its forces. Putin only invaded Crimea because he was trying to stop NATO agression!!!!! It was a pre-emptive strike, done for all the most humane reasons in order to preserve peace.
    I mean If NATO had its way Ukraine would be free to decide it`s own policies, this could lead to other countries thinking that they were free and not obliged to do as Putin said. That could only lead to disaster and must be stomped out quickly and violently.
    Russia only has the interest of those poor people in mind when attacking them you know.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  7. #7
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No it doesn't make any sense at all.

    My worry is that there appears to be an element here in the US that feels that the US needs to be giving a significant amount of military support to Ukraine in it's efforts. They will accuse the President of being weak if he does not do so. Such charges of weakness could lead to U.S. involvement to the extent that it becomes our war. At that point, it will result in a nuclear war because Russia simply cannot compete with U.S. conventional forces. At a certain point, neither side can afford to lose. That is my worry.
    Or Putin could just stop backing the rebels....
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,079

    Re: NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No it doesn't make any sense at all.

    My worry is that there appears to be an element here in the US that feels that the US needs to be giving a significant amount of military support to Ukraine in it's efforts. They will accuse the President of being weak if he does not do so. Such charges of weakness could lead to U.S. involvement to the extent that it becomes our war. At that point, it will result in a nuclear war because Russia simply cannot compete with U.S. conventional forces. At a certain point, neither side can afford to lose. That is my worry.
    so even if they cant compete as long as we don't try to take over Russia and topple Putin theirs no need for Russia to brake out the nukes us intervention should not cause a nuclear war

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Or Putin could just stop backing the rebels....
    He could but he's not.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: NATO to bolster forces in eastern Europe against threat from Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    so even if they cant compete as long as we don't try to take over Russia and topple Putin theirs no need for Russia to brake out the nukes us intervention should not cause a nuclear war
    Yes there is a need for them to. It's right on their border.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •