Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes

  1. #21
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    In sync? How do you mean? The President wants the tax in order to reduce US competitiveness?
    yes, he is attempting to repatriate the money held off shore
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #22
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    yes, he is attempting to repatriate the money held off shore
    And rightfully so. Tax dodgers need to pony up.

  3. #23
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    And rightfully so. Tax dodgers need to pony up.
    i take the opposite position in this instance
    only the USA and the world's worst economy, eritrea, tax profits earned outside their national borders
    now, the reason we do it is because the multi-national corporations can and do misrepresent earnings in one country as having been earned in another, for purposes of tax avoidance
    but if we instead imposed a flat tax on ALL revenues, from every transaction, with NO tax deductions/exemptions (a la Milton Friedman), we would not need to be concerned with what was earned or parked off shore
    this is just one of many beneficial aspects of moving our nation to a flat tax system
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,358

    Re: Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    yes, he is attempting to repatriate the money held off shore
    I guess it is important to know ecevery detail of his pla gage the exact impact. But cp this sounds rather s dismally counterproductive way to do that. It will cost the country productivity, wealth and jobs unless there are points undisclosed. Do you have an impact study?

  5. #25
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    I guess it is important to know ecevery detail of his pla gage the exact impact. But cp this sounds rather s dismally counterproductive way to do that. It will cost the country productivity, wealth and jobs unless there are points undisclosed. Do you have an impact study?
    fresh out
    sorry
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #26
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,473

    Re: Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    A very constructive move I think.
    Fair point for starting numbers.
    Though I think he may have to go even lower to get the $2 Trillion hoard. Perhaps 8%-10%.
    We'll see.
    It's time we dealt with the foreign [and shifting of] earnings and 'inversion'/moving offshore issue.
    We also certainly need infrastructure spending.
    I think there's stuff for Both parties here.


    Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes
    Proposes One-Time 14% Tax on Overseas Earnings and Links It to Improving Highways, Transit
    By NICK TIMIRAOS and JOHN D. MCKINNON
    Updated Feb. 1, 2015 9:52 p.m. ET
    Obama Opens Bidding On Taxes - WSJ


    So he is saying you pay us 14% of your overseas earnings and we will do some infrastructure building.

    OK.

    This reminds me of $7 trillion in borrowed $ and those "shovel ready" infrastructure jobs that weren't "as, haw,. haw, not as shovel ready as we, har, har, thought."

    Sounds like a good idea now, but then so did Obamacare when he started talking about it. This ass hole has no end of ideas, NOW that he's a dead issue....

    But there's that record of his and how what he says never seems to be anything like what is....
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  7. #27
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,473

    Re: Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i take the opposite position in this instance
    only the USA and the world's worst economy, eritrea, tax profits earned outside their national borders
    now, the reason we do it is because the multi-national corporations can and do misrepresent earnings in one country as having been earned in another, for purposes of tax avoidance
    but if we instead imposed a flat tax on ALL revenues, from every transaction, with NO tax deductions/exemptions (a la Milton Friedman), we would not need to be concerned with what was earned or parked off shore
    this is just one of many beneficial aspects of moving our nation to a flat tax system
    You will never have a flat tax.....

    But, competing nations, like Canada, Ireland, Australia etc are licking their chops at this news.

    Canada especially where we have landed some large US firms who have come to escape the Obamacare tax that isn't a tax, and now this.

    Go for it Obama....but the chances of Americans actually seeing infrastructure out of this are very thin...you're better off on the slots in Vegas
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  8. #28
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    You will never have a flat tax.....

    But, competing nations, like Canada, Ireland, Australia etc are licking their chops at this news.

    Canada especially where we have landed some large US firms who have come to escape the Obamacare tax that isn't a tax, and now this.

    Go for it Obama....but the chances of Americans actually seeing infrastructure out of this are very thin...you're better off on the slots in Vegas
    and that's the point
    they are NOT US corporations
    they have no allegiance except to their shareholders
    why should we expect any corporation to act in the best interests of the USA
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #29
    Student Monte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    216

    Re: Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    yes, he is attempting to repatriate the money held off shore
    Exactly!

    The reason that companies are allowed to defer paying taxes on overseas revenues is to help these companies to compete against the existing, foreign companies who, oftentimes, have substantial advantages over American companies.
    These foreign companies could have access to natural resources, man power, legislative benefits, etc.

    It is essentially a break to our companies so that they can acquire a "foothold" in foreign lands and compete effectively.
    A globalized economy is here and it is not going anywhere. Successful companies know this.

  10. #30
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,473

    Re: Obama Opens Bidding on Corporate Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    and that's the point
    they are NOT US corporations
    they have no allegiance except to their shareholders
    why should we expect any corporation to act in the best interests of the USA


    The man thinks parochially.....that he and the white house are the only reason for existence. I once, years ago, read a speech of his from his Senate run where he seemed unaware that other countries have treaties and trad with each other....

    Since taking office, when the 50 plus small companies started looking for a safe haven in Canada, the White House could only at first deny it, then down play it.

    There is no such thing as a Canadian company, or an American company beyond the banks, they only have real estate where they need to have an address.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •