Page 70 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 1307

Thread: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

  1. #691
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,388

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Because vaccines are injected, they bypass the normal system of immune response. This is why many vaccines wear off far earlier than simply getting the virus.

    Immunity: Natural and Acquired | Vaccines.gov
    "Natural immunity?" You realize that things like smallpox and measles were killing people by the hundreds and thousands? Your "natural immunity" is a joke. The freakin virus found a way around that. Good lord. This is sad.

    There is no logical reason to not get vaccines.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  2. #692
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    So did I. My mother was an RN...ob/gyn...at the time and had to take off work when her daughter...me...had measles. Then mumps, then German measles, then chicken pox....no vaccines. Her grasp of the realities...and her memory...are just fine. As is mine.

    Now....where's a source for your claim about 65 infants/yr?
    You got it right there, cousin. Our mothers took time off for us as children and took care of us. My mother didn't go to work until I finished high school. Today's mothers don't have time for their children because they are too busy working along with their husbands to pay for lifestyles they don't need, while their children die of diseases due to their neglect. Instead, these parents expect the government to take care of their children because they don't have time. There's that, "it takes a village" concept all over again. If parents don't have time to care for their children, they should never have had them. The "village", the government has no place in raising your child.

  3. #693
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    "Natural immunity?" You realize that things like smallpox and measles were killing people by the hundreds and thousands? Your "natural immunity" is a joke. The freakin virus found a way around that. Good lord. This is sad.

    There is no logical reason to not get vaccines.
    Smallpox was long controlled even in the 50's. Comparing smallpox to measles is an apples to oranges comparison. Measles shouldn't even be a problem. This so-called measles dilemma is a made up concept so today's new liberal youth can have another cause to support.

  4. #694
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    I was there during the measles outbreaks too.

    My children were born in the 70s and the 80s and I had them vaccinated.
    I never had rubella as a child so I had my blood tested and got the rubella shot to protect my pregnancies.
    I grew up in the 50's and measles vaccines were unheard of. It was a typical childhood disease that children got. We weathered it and moved on. Now, someone is carrying a torch for a disease that is just what it is, a typical childhood disease. Get the disease, and you're immune for life. It is not the end of the world.

  5. #695
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Oh my... I can see that your failed argument is protected by a moral superiority complex. Cute but pathetic. I was not flippant. You just failed to comprehend my meaning, apparently.

    Not vaccinating is not, not taking proper care because a disease is not an assured thing.
    Not vaccinating is intentional neglect, it is choosing to not prevent very serious diseases by cheap/free/safe immunization. There are no rational reasons for not taking the simple step of immunization of a normal child, it is pure crackpotism to not immunize.
    The chances of getting it, even pre-vaccines, was not large. Injury and death due to not wearing a seat belt was a large chance of occurring though. Many people will never get the measles.
    Bullchit, the chances of infection is VERY high when a non-immunized person is EXPOSED. The reason the risk of exposure is low in the US is because so many are IMMUNIZED. You are arguing to "not wear a safety belt" of immunization.

    Some people don't like playing Russian Roulette with their kids lives..
    I say that you are blind to your own irony.
    stick that in your moral pipe, twist it and cast another insult. Please...
    Sniff...I hurt your argument....so sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #696
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Not sure you understand how herd immunity works then...because when we see more and more unvaccinated people and the disease starts circulating......
    Not sure you understand how statistics works then. Places like Colorado have had immunization levels near 80% for years, and there's not a stack of dead bodies.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #697
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,057

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    I grew up in the 50's and measles vaccines were unheard of. It was a typical childhood disease that children got. We weathered it and moved on. Now, someone is carrying a torch for a disease that is just what it is, a typical childhood disease. Get the disease, and you're immune for life. It is not the end of the world.
    Except for of course those who died or suffered other long term effects such as deafness or mental retardation. They couldn't really move on so easily
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  8. #698
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,952

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    I grew up in the 50's and measles vaccines were unheard of. It was a typical childhood disease that children got. We weathered it and moved on. Now, someone is carrying a torch for a disease that is just what it is, a typical childhood disease. Get the disease, and you're immune for life. It is not the end of the world.
    I grew up in the 50s also.

    It was the end of world for the approximately 500 who died annually in the US before the measles vaccine in 1963.


    Before 1963, approximately 500,000 cases and 500 deaths were reported annually, with epidemic cycles every 2–3 years. However, the actual number of cases was estimated at 3–4 million annually.
    CDC - Pinkbook: Measles Chapter - Epidemiology of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  9. #699
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And we are talking about best practices for keeping kids safe.

    Everyone is at risk in a car. So we shouldnt bother wearing seat belts? Just not put kids in safety seats because hey, they could die in a wreck anyway.

    Your argument fails. I havent made any black and white statements regarding vaccines and their usage....and there are no foolproof methods to prevent disease. What we are discussing here are reasonable precautions for public health.

    And if you choose to place others at additional risk, then the school/govt has the right to decide your kids can stay home and be homeschooled.
    Yes, children with compromised immune systems should not be in general public school.

  10. #700
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,884

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Except for of course those who died or suffered other long term effects such as deafness or mental retardation. They couldn't really move on so easily
    Insignificant number, at best.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •