Page 59 of 131 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 1307

Thread: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

  1. #581
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That doesn't open up Pandora's Box or anything... mandatory sterilization of anybody with an IQ under 90 and half of the people living in the South is best for our nation too, does that work for you?
    Great minds think alike.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #582
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Yikes! That was extreme. Mandatory vaccinations is not comparable to eugenics.
    It could be...when you give society or it's govt the right to decide for you what medical avenues to take.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #583
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That logic is a pandora's box. Where are it's limits?
    She is yet another one that will struggle to argue against the patriot act.

  4. #584
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,923

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That logic is a pandora's box. Where are it's limits?
    In answer to your slippery slope, I think we can safely say that mandatory vaccinations are not blazing a trail for the practice of eugenics.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  5. #585
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,923

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It could be...when you give society or it's govt the right to decide for you what medical avenues to take.
    Lots of things could lead to others, but it's highly unlikely mandatory vaccinations could lead the government from practicing eugenics.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  6. #586
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It could be...when you give society or it's govt the right to decide for you what medical avenues to take.
    The government restricts your ability to endanger society in a lot of ways. Sorry this bothers you.

    Tell us more about how vaccinations are similar to sterilizing the genetically inferior.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #587
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Yikes! That was extreme. Mandatory vaccinations is not comparable to eugenics.
    The argument has been for the greater good and what the government should do... should unvaccinated kids be allowed in parks, the DMV, the post office?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #588
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,923

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The argument has been for the greater good and what the government should do... should unvaccinated kids be allowed in parks, the DMV, the post office?
    Where kids are likely to pass highly communicable diseases, it's good policy. No one is mandating flu vaccinations, no matter that yearly, millions of children catch that.

    Personally, I would prefer to have the opportunity to avoid unvaccinated people in public spaces (see Disneyland measles outbreak for a good reason), but disallowing them at school, where kids are compelled to go daily, is more important to me.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  9. #589
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The argument has been for the greater good and what the government should do... should unvaccinated kids be allowed in parks, the DMV, the post office?
    And to take your argument to it's logical extent, we should disband the United States as an entity. Smaller government is better, right?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #590
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    If the chances are 'infinitesmally low", why vaccinate at all?

    Or can you not connect the dots to see that the vaccinations themselves are what lower the chances of infection (which I also spelled out for you in my original post)
    Huh?

    This really has no relevance to the original point that was made, which was that there's no reason to be fearful that your infant grandchild might die, or that they are at any real greater risk of dying, due to a tiny outbreak of measles. Its nonsense, as are all these news stories that aim to scare people about this "deadly disease" by trying to pass off third world statistics as being somehow relevant to care here in the US.

    Fifty years ago, before there was a vaccine, we had millions of people infected with measles, and something like 65 infant deaths per year. Now we should worry, because 200 people got measles at Disneyland?

    Give me a break.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •