Page 49 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 1307

Thread: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

  1. #481
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,299

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    You do know that you can get the polio virus and get over it with no lasting or even traumatic effects, right? In fact, the vast majority of people that contracted polio didn't really have any issues getting over the disease, much like measles (specifically in developed countries).
    Oh? So maybe we should just let it run rampant again? Right? All it is is a bad flu! Right? There were 416 cases in 2013. Down from 335000 in 1985. Given that there are NO specific treatment. What does that mean? GET THE VACCINE! There is no logical reason to NOT get it. You have more of a reason to not to aspirin for a headache.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  2. #482
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,299

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Do you think then, that if your child is not vaccinated, that schools should be able to refuse them entry? Because realistically they are endangering other kids. (Again, no vaccine is 100% and there are also those kids that cannot be vaccinated.)
    Ignoring that some cannot be vaccinated; and that the dummies that don't vaccinate their kids put infants and the elderly at risk.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  3. #483
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,781

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Risk of death from measles is quite small. An infant is at least 100 times more likely to die of SIDS and that's already fairly rare.
    The risk of death from measles for infants is small because until recently, infants no longer came into contact with measles...it was almost eradicated from the US. Now it has been re-introduced and is circulating. So there is a much higher chance of them contracting it. And it is very dangerous for infants and can lead to blindness and other harm even if they dont die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #484
    Lurker
    iangb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Nonsense.

    I stated a fact. I thought the pro-vaccine crew liked facts. I guess not.
    Whether you stated a fact or not is irrelevant, and was not what I posted. Your method for giving people 'natural immunity' is to expose them to a potentially life-threatening disease. This means that even if the survivors are 100% immune for the rest of their lives, the fact that some will not survive shows that your method is hardly the best.

    Another fact that being ignored is vaccines are not 100% safe. That's a lie.

    Statistics Reports

    Every year, a significant amount of money is paid to people, by the US, for reported vaccine injuries.

    It's a risk vs reward balance.
    Your statistics page shows that 3,540 people were compensated for vaccine-related injuries or deaths since 1988. That's 136 people per year. For reference, over 300 people get struck by lightning in the US per year - 51 die. 150-200 people are killed - not merely injured - by food allergies in the US per year.

    The later table puts it into even bigger perspective. Over the last 8 years, only 1,300 claims have been compensated from a grand total of almost 2 billion vaccinations.

    It is indeed a risk vs reward balance. Practically zero risk, for an enormous reward.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head. ~Terry Pratchett

  5. #485
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Nobody finds it odd that the outbreak began in an area that is among the highest vaccination rates?

  6. #486
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    What happened is that people die from complications due to measles. Measles is pretty rare in the US given the headway MMR vaccinations have been able to make against it.
    Possible, but highly implausible. We're dealing with simple child hood diseases. There were many when I was growing up in the 50's: chicken pox, mumps, 2 forms of measles. You got them, got the immunity, and you were good to go. I never heard of any fellow student having complications from the diseases. The only real complication I ever got was missing out on my classroom pictures, pictures that would have been valuable to me for old times sake, now, remembering days of long ago.


    I also think that the government should provide a robust public health awareness program that includes regulation of the food industry and promotion of healthy lifestyles, so you're close.
    The government should never dictate to its populace how it is supposed to live. I'm an exercise fanatic and seldom get sick, but if others don't want to exercise and think me a bit eccentric, that is their prerogative. If you force people to exercise, they will resist and get little from it. If citizens want to eat fatty, sugary foods, then let them. The government needs to butt out.

  7. #487
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,781

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    How did that work out in the RvW Decision? Medical privacy trumps your paranoia.
    Back to that 'greater good' thing tho, abortion has no negative affects on society (that I'm aware of) yet epidemics do. Aside from body count, the effects on the economy and even national security are profound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #488
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,488

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I blame the anti-science hippies and the anti-science christian fundies for this nonsense. I've never seen such ideologically different groups being so collectively responsible for widespread stupidity.


    You forgot the middle aged housewives who read blogs.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #489
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,781

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Nobody finds it odd that the outbreak began in an area that is among the highest vaccination rates?
    Didnt it start in Disney? A place with extremely diverse and transient visitation? Global, constant foot traffic?

    So local vaccinations rates would matter less if people just came in, infected others, and then they all go their separate ways to other regions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #490
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    wrong. peopled died of it. and others suffered life-long problems from it.
    Really? Were you there back then, or it is something you read on the Internet?

Page 49 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •