Page 13 of 131 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 1307

Thread: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

  1. #121
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    Funny... accurate for a lot of people. Childish though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Nice. Haven't heard that one before.
    You should have high lighted it in brown...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #123
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    To our non-American members: does your country seem to be entirely overrun by anti-science people too, or is that just us?
    If my unscientific observations here, on Facebook, and in so-called real life are any indication, we're not overrun by them, they're just vocal.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #124
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Now that this debate has been raging for a couple weeks (everywhere, not just here), the part that is pissing me off more than anything else is the dismissal of the overwhelming evidence regarding vaccines because they're not 100%.

    Excuse me? What planet do you come from that anything is 100%? (Excepting death, in general) Really, that's so far out there it's not even a valid counter-argument.

    Seat belts aren't 100% effective, but they greatly improve your odds. Wearing a hard hat in a construction area isn't 100% effective, but it improves your odds. Condoms aren't 100% effective, but they improve your odds.

    Same with vaccines. No, they're not 100% effective, but your odds against getting said disease are greatly better than if you don't get the vaccine.

    With every example I noted here, we can all say we've heard at least one anecdotal story where it didn't save a person, or maybe even made it worse. Those are exceptions to the rule, not the rule itself. You're not guaranteed to get only the good stuff in life, so a smart person goes with the odds... especially when they're so overwhelming as is the case with vaccines.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #125
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Vaccinations are not perfect, they do not always protect you from the disease. This year's flu vaccines were a perfect example, they didn't work on most of the flu strains that we ended up with this year. Likewise, there are people who are medically unable to have vaccinations due to a compromised immune system. Those people are directly harmed by the asshats who won't vaccinate their kids. But sure, you can go ahead and assume that I just mindlessly hate people if that turns you on.
    And don't forget - the measles vaccine came in 1963. I was born in 1962, and have no idea if I got the vaccine or not; I know I never had measles. CDC is recommending that even those adults who did get vaccinated in the 1960s get re-vaccinated. I only know that because I've been reading up on the current measles outbreak in California. I'll get vaccinated now. But I could easily have gotten measles from unvaccinated kids before I get the vaccine. How many people aren't reading the CDC details, who are assuming their 1960s vaccines are sufficient? They are at risk.

    Kids need to be vaccinated. period. I know you agree; I can't believe there are people who don't.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    And don't forget - the measles vaccine came in 1963. I was born in 1962, and have no idea if I got the vaccine or not; I know I never had measles. CDC is recommending that even those adults who did get vaccinated in the 1960s get re-vaccinated. I only know that because I've been reading up on the current measles outbreak in California. I'll get vaccinated now. But I could easily have gotten measles from unvaccinated kids before I get the vaccine. How many people aren't reading the CDC details, who are assuming their 1960s vaccines are sufficient? They are at risk.

    Kids need to be vaccinated. period. I know you agree; I can't believe there are people who don't.
    And those people are complete and total idiots who have no business breeding. Every kid needs to be vaccinated regardless of the wishes of their parents.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #127
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    There are people who still change their own oil? What is this--the stone ages?
    I change my own oil and recycle it too of course.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #128
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    How do you quantify or gauge under-reporting, specifically?
    I already listed, from VAERS, the unreliability of current statistics due to under/non reporting of vaccine adverse reactions...

    Lack of evidence is not evidence.
    Nobody said it was... but if rates of SIDS and ADHD are increasing as vaccinations are becoming more common practice then there might be a correlation. That is all I stated.

    How would they go about doing this?
    By having a better reporting system, for starters.

    What is the scientific theory under which a vaccine might cause ADHD or SIDS? Break it down for me.
    Simple logic will tell you that if we do not know the cause, if adverse reactions are not reported, if reports are incomplete or incorrect and if conclusions can not be drawn for the reported data then the conclusions is incomplete.

    VAERS is a passive reporting system, meaning that reports about adverse events are not automatically collected, but require a report to be filed to VAERS. VAERS reports can be submitted voluntarily by anyone, including healthcare providers, patients, or family members. Reports vary in quality and completeness. They often lack details and sometimes can have information that contains errors.

    "Underreporting" is one of the main limitations of passive surveillance systems, including VAERS. The term, underreporting refers to the fact that VAERS receives reports for only a small fraction of actual adverse events. The degree of underreporting varies widely.


    https://vaers.hhs.gov/data/index

    What adverse effects have you had from under/non-reporting? List them.
    It was my daughter.

    Rash, Fever, joint pain, febrile seizures, swollen lymph glands which became a sub-mandibular abscess and was kept in both ICU and post-op for four days after emergency surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #129
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post

    Using the statistics that you provided us from the CDC we can see that 15,684 have claimed to have been harmed or had someone die to vaccines. Out of those 15,684, 3,895 of them were compensated by the CDC for their claim. Let's say that entire 24% was right and the vaccines did more harm than good. In the same information you provided us it shows that over 2,236,678,735 vaccines were dolled out to the public. Now if we assume that the 2,236,678,735 vaccines were safe that would barely make 1% of the vaccines dangerous. Now I don't know the exact stat for this claim, but I think you have a lot better luck winning the lottery than for a vaccine to kill you.




    Most parents before vaccinations didn't have much choice in their children dying of polio either. you can fight and argue with the idea that vaccinations are 'big government' all you like. It's still wildly safer than allowing for diseases to run rampant through the Country once again.



    Already addressed this above.

    Yeah. Measles, mumps, rubella, polio -much more likely to kill their kids than the vaccine.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    re: Vaccine Critics Turn Defensive Over Measles [W:1210]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Kids need to be vaccinated. period. I know you agree; I can't believe there are people who don't.
    In general... yes. In the end though it should be a family choice and not a mandate. This is not the same as a seat belt or child helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •