Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 330

Thread: Senate passes bill approving Keystone XL oil pipeline Associated Press By DINA CAPPI

  1. #151
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Senate passes bill approving Keystone XL oil pipeline Associated Press By DINA CA

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Construction jobs. Yes?
    Construction, engineering, architecture, truckers, supervisors, artists, musicians, etc. But yes the good majority of the WPA was construction projects.


  2. #152
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,925
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate passes bill approving Keystone XL oil pipeline Associated Press By DINA CA

    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    If....big IF, I know....the pipeline created no jobs, what would be your rationale for a foreign corp. using eminent domain against US citizens?
    Strengthening US infrastructure and industrial capacity.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #153
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,925
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate passes bill approving Keystone XL oil pipeline Associated Press By DINA CA

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Please point to that section.... I must of missed something.
    ". . . Spin-off jobs are jobs which emerge after the pipeline is complete and oil begins to flow. These include refining, chemical manufacturing, petroleum transportation, and “petroleum dependent manufacturing.” The last of these includes even factories that make use of petroleum even though these factories would use petroleum from elsewhere if the pipeline did not exist. The presumption is that these jobs will increase because more petroleum is available. On one hand, these jobs are better than the construction jobs for the actual project because they are considered permanent, but on the other hand, they are impossible to estimate because so many variable effect the process. . . . "
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #154
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,925
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate passes bill approving Keystone XL oil pipeline Associated Press By DINA CA

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ... the "nastiness" was not directed at you.... it was directed at those the continually tout this thing as some type of great piece of economic legislation. Many people have argued that we should build this thing because its going to create all these jobs. Its not. Just build it because it makes sense and stop (again, directed globally) being disingenuous. Sorry, there was no personal intent there. I do think this is a silly issue that people (in general...and, on both sides of the aisle) spend too much time worrying about.
    I think it is an excellent infrastructure investment.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #155
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,925
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate passes bill approving Keystone XL oil pipeline Associated Press By DINA CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Why the hell are you talking about anti growth an anti jobs when keystone is a trivial issue both politically AND economically.
    You can try to minimize it if you wish, but it's a powerful election issue.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #156
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,925
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate passes bill approving Keystone XL oil pipeline Associated Press By DINA CA

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    If the GOP is still squawking about Keystone XL in 2016 they do not deserve to get reelected to any seats. There are significantly bigger issues than the Keystone, and they should focus on those.
    If Keystone XL has not been approved by 2016 then the Repubs will use it and gain quite a bit.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #157
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Senate passes bill approving Keystone XL oil pipeline Associated Press By DINA CA

    This all reminds me of the argument we had some years back when the oil companies wanted to drill in the Alaskan tundra....Liberals all had a collective cow, and started in with the usual crap about Caraboo and such, and when that didn't work they said that it wasn't worth it because it would take at least 5 years at the time to see one drop of oil from there....Then the high prices hit, and while america has been paying these high prices, and more for anything delivered, so higher prices for everything, the oil could have been there and helped....Are we really going to listen to these idiots again?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #158
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Senate passes bill approving Keystone XL oil pipeline Associated Press By DINA CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    ". . . Spin-off jobs are jobs which emerge after the pipeline is complete and oil begins to flow. These include refining, chemical manufacturing, petroleum transportation, and “petroleum dependent manufacturing.” The last of these includes even factories that make use of petroleum even though these factories would use petroleum from elsewhere if the pipeline did not exist. The presumption is that these jobs will increase because more petroleum is available. On one hand, these jobs are better than the construction jobs for the actual project because they are considered permanent, but on the other hand, they are impossible to estimate because so many variable effect the process. . . . "
    "The estimates are based on the idea that the pipeline will create permanently stable oil prices which will foster overall economic growth. However, there is no indication the pipeline would contribute to oil price stabilization. In fact, other TransCanada studies predict that oil prices in the Midwest will rise because the Keystone XL Pipeline will alleviate an oversupply there."
    --The only way the pipeline will create permanent long term employment is that it will contribute to oil prize stabilization, but its not predicted to do so by several other studies and several historical examples...


  9. #159
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,925
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate passes bill approving Keystone XL oil pipeline Associated Press By DINA CA

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    "The estimates are based on the idea that the pipeline will create permanently stable oil prices which will foster overall economic growth. However, there is no indication the pipeline would contribute to oil price stabilization. In fact, other TransCanada studies predict that oil prices in the Midwest will rise because the Keystone XL Pipeline will alleviate an oversupply there."
    --The only way the pipeline will create permanent long term employment is that it will contribute to oil prize stabilization, but its not predicted to do so by several other studies and several historical examples...
    That's where I disagree. I don't think oil price stabilization matters much in the case of refineries. More volume = more employment. Simple.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #160
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Senate passes bill approving Keystone XL oil pipeline Associated Press By DINA CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    That's where I disagree. I don't think oil price stabilization matters much in the case of refineries. More volume = more employment. Simple.
    Well several historical examples prove that to be wrong....


Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •