Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 156

Thread: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

  1. #101
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Liberals: Good for her, standing up for her rights and ignoring multiculturalism!
    Conservatives: How can she insult our allies like this!? Damn it! We should respect Islam!
    Libertarians: *after putting down the bongs* Wait... Arabia isn't just a country in Aladdin?
    Moderate: Good grief, what the hell is she wearing? How are you going to get caught with the damn king of Saudi Arabia wearing Pottery Barn curtains? That's what is really important here.
    Other:
    Well, what this really signifies is that Michelle Obama is having an existential epiphany related to the croissants she had that morning.
    Liberals pretending to be Independents: Well I for one will take this as an opportunity to be heard on issues that I believe will make me seem less liberal.
    Conservatives pretending to be Independents: Wait, wait! Look at this link that shows how much Syrian Muslims hate crepes!
    Centrists: I have an opinion!
    Not bad.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #102
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

    Such a simple thing says so much.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #103
    Educator applejuicefool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    What you say is true. What I say shows respect for the culture in which one is a guest.
    No, the culture in the United States is that people can wear what the hell they want on their heads, and nobody gives a darn. Top-hats, Native American headdresses, bonnets, fedoras, Google Glass, yarmulkes, nun's wimple, coonskin cap, propeller beanies, ten-gallon hats, SCA plate helmet...and yes, hijabs, burkas, kufis and keffiyehs...are ALL part of American culture, as are many others. It's a melting-pot thing. We do it.

    -AJF

  4. #104
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    -- What I like about this is how black African heritage peoples are seen in Arab countries --
    Out of curiosity, were you proud of "black African heritage peoples" back in 2007 during the meeting where this pic was taken?



    Good grief. I'd swear that some of you people never saw a black person before Obama came along.
    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    You know man, I really like your posts! They are consistently good!!!!
    I'm going to guess you've never been to Africa, worked around arabian countries in Africa, seen the very long history of blacks as slaves under various Arab traders going back beyond the invention of Islam or even read anything / spoken with or dealt with (face to face) arabs in Northern African countries going from Nigeria to Egypt.

    I have.

    What amused me in the ferguson riots was when ISIS pledged solidarity with blacks, hoping to cause foment. Arabs see themselves as higher muslims - the originals and everyone else who converts is second / third etc class. You won't read much of this on the internets but you see it in the eyes, the sneer in the eyes and mouth when you talk to arab muslims in Africa.

    You won't understand how the Saudi Arabians will see the blacks who arrived off a plane, dressed as they were - especially Michelle Obama. The resonances in the muslim and African world go beyond mere comments and snide remarks on a US website. Black muslims in conservative and extremist muslim circles are lesser muslims, they are shock troops (ever wonder why so many bomb carriers on international planes in the last 15 years were black?)

    However, thank you for making your comment - I was amused. I will start my Thursday in better cheer after a good belly laugh.

  5. #105
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Sorry to confuse you but I'm Canadian, not a Saudi. My world is irrelevant. The OP is discussing "paying respects" in Saudi Arabia. I have no idea if the Saudi royal family felt offended by the First Lady's attire or if the people of Saudi Arabia were offended. My point was, as you and others seem to be promoting, if your intent is to offend or to make a political statement, it would be wiser just to stay home. There are other times and better circumstances under which to make your point.

    As for your analogy, it isn't one. I'm not aware of any or many in America who are offended by women's attire. If they are, they are free to express that concern in appropriate ways and forums. Doing so while "paying respects" seems more like disrespect to me, but then I've never been one to purposely offend for no reason. If I didn't smoke and I was invited to a person's home where smokers lived, I wouldn't go wearing an anti-smoking t-shirt. I'd either accept the invitation graciously and excuse myself politely if need be, or I'd decline the invitation. You see, it's not for me to tell other people how to live. I have no objection to the First Lady wearing what she likes but if, as seems apparent, she's had no problem with the headscarf in other situations, her not wearing one here seems designed to offend or to make a political statement, both of which are inappropriate under the circumstances.
    When I visit Canada I don't wear a hockey jersey, a mounty hat and smear maple syrup over my nipples. And you know what? Nobody gets offended when I don't.

    Let's stop pretending for one second that you actually care about the feelings of Saudis. This is just about sticking it to Obama and nothing else. We don't tell those assholes to take off their hats when they enter the US, so we will not be treating our women like slaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  6. #106
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Liberals: Good for her, standing up for her rights and ignoring multiculturalism!
    Conservatives: How can she insult our allies like this!? Damn it! We should respect Islam!
    Libertarians: *after putting down the bongs* Wait... Arabia isn't just a country in Aladdin?
    Moderate: Good grief, what the hell is she wearing? How are you going to get caught with the damn king of Saudi Arabia wearing Pottery Barn curtains? That's what is really important here.
    Other:
    Well, what this really signifies is that Michelle Obama is having an existential epiphany related to the croissants she had that morning.
    Liberals pretending to be Independents: Well I for one will take this as an opportunity to be heard on issues that I believe will make me seem less liberal.
    Conservatives pretending to be Independents: Wait, wait! Look at this link that shows how much Syrian Muslims hate crepes!
    Centrists: I have an opinion!
    Try again Hat...

    This is one thing concerning the wife of our Socialist Leader, I am King Obama, where I thought... OK... fine with me. It can only help bring women in these countries out of the 7th century. Would have been even better if she got behind the wheel of a car and drove herself!
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  7. #107
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

    Non-issue. Western women are not required to wear head scarves in Saudi Arabia. This was only a problem in the Twitterverse. Also, the only reason she wore a scarf in Indonesia was so she could enter a Mosque. She did nothing out of the ordinary. Saudis in the main cities are used to seeing non-Muslim women walk around without head coverings.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  8. #108
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    When I visit Canada I don't wear a hockey jersey, a mounty hat and smear maple syrup over my nipples. And you know what? Nobody gets offended when I don't.

    Let's stop pretending for one second that you actually care about the feelings of Saudis. This is just about sticking it to Obama and nothing else. We don't tell those assholes to take off their hats when they enter the US, so we will not be treating our women like slaves.
    Clearly, you haven't the foggiest idea what "paying respects" means. As for your attempt to slag Saudis by tossing out Americanized ignorance about Canadians, that's just of a piece with your self-centered need to dictate how others live. Quite the resume for a Libertarian.

    As for the Obamas, I care little about what they wear. The only point I made was that if you're attending Saudi Arabia to "pay respects" it might be nice to actually include some respect in the process. If you can't or don't want to, don't be a hypocrite and stay home. The First Lady wearing a headscarf on one occasion, not as a fashion statement, as shown here in this thread, and then not wearing a head scarf in Saudi Arabia, to make a political statement, is not something that I find respectful of her hosts or the position she holds. One way or another, it makes her a hypocrite - either in Indonesia for wearing the headscarf or in Saudi Arabia for not wearing it.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #109
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I went for the easy kill. Sue me.
    I brake for possums, squirrels and Procyon lotor.

  10. #110
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Clearly, you haven't the foggiest idea what "paying respects" means. As for your attempt to slag Saudis by tossing out Americanized ignorance about Canadians, that's just of a piece with your self-centered need to dictate how others live. Quite the resume for a Libertarian.

    As for the Obamas, I care little about what they wear. The only point I made was that if you're attending Saudi Arabia to "pay respects" it might be nice to actually include some respect in the process. If you can't or don't want to, don't be a hypocrite and stay home. The First Lady wearing a headscarf on one occasion, not as a fashion statement, as shown here in this thread, and then not wearing a head scarf in Saudi Arabia, to make a political statement, is not something that I find respectful of her hosts or the position she holds. One way or another, it makes her a hypocrite - either in Indonesia for wearing the headscarf or in Saudi Arabia for not wearing it.
    So you have proof that she was making a political statement? Could you post it here please? Women not conforming to shariah law is not offensive. Keep crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •