Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says

  1. #1
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says

    The federal debt is set to explode over the next decade even as the budget deficit is projected to reach its lowest level of the Obama presidency, the Congressional Budget Office said Monday.

    The annual deficit should total $468 billion for the 2015 fiscal year, which will end Sept. 30, the nonpartisan budget office said. Thatís a tad better than the $483 billion in fiscal 2014, and it amounts to about 2.6 percent of the overall economy, the smallest percentage since 2007 and just a hair under the 50-year average.


    The improving deficit numbers are temporary, however. Budget deficits are projected to begin going up again in 2018, and to nearly double by 2024 as retiring baby boomers strain the health and retirement systems, the economy grows more slowly and interest on the nationís outstanding debt rises.


    By 2025, the annual budget deficit is forecast to hit 4 percent of the overall economy, much higher than the 2.7 percent historical average.
    WASHINGTON: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says | Economy | McClatchy DC

    So, it seems that it's only a matter of time before these low deficit numbers disappear.

    Personally, I am not hugely worried as as long as our economy can keep up and we can make the minimum payments, we'll be fine.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  2. #2
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says

    What the hell did everyone expect with the 'kick the can down the road' approach to fiscal matters?
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    WASHINGTON: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says | Economy | McClatchy DC

    So, it seems that it's only a matter of time before these low deficit numbers disappear.

    Personally, I am not hugely worried as as long as our economy can keep up and we can make the minimum payments, we'll be fine.
    well, as far as the govt servicing the debt... there's no reason they can't.

    they would actually have to make the political choice not to.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    WASHINGTON: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says | Economy | McClatchy DC

    So, it seems that it's only a matter of time before these low deficit numbers disappear.

    Personally, I am not hugely worried as as long as our economy can keep up and we can make the minimum payments, we'll be fine.
    Just don't plan on borrowing any money for the next two presidencies. I have maintained all along that no matter who comes next, they are screwed. Obama is keeping the debt service lower by doing short term bonds which will drive up long term interest rates when it comes time to refinance the debt over the long term. Debt service on just the current debt is going to explode. We will be in Jimmy Carterland by the end of the next President's first, and probably only term.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    WASHINGTON: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says | Economy | McClatchy DC

    So, it seems that it's only a matter of time before these low deficit numbers disappear.

    Personally, I am not hugely worried as as long as our economy can keep up and we can make the minimum payments, we'll be fine.
    $468 billion dollars is a 'low deficit number' to you? DEFINITELY not to me...I think it is pathetically high.


    But that aside. This is all based on record low interest rates. What the heck happens to these CBO figures when/if the Fed raises interest rates back up?

    BTW, the Fed is planning to start raising rates later this year (personally - I HIGHLY doubt they will more then a token amount as the economy is still far too weak to do without the government teat of artificially low interest rates).

  6. #6
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    $468 billion dollars is a 'low deficit number' to you? DEFINITELY not to me...I think it is pathetically high.


    But that aside. This is all based on record low interest rates. What the heck happens to these CBO figures when/if the Fed raises interest rates back up?

    BTW, the Fed is planning to start raising rates later this year (personally - I HIGHLY doubt they will more then a token amount as the economy is still far too weak to do without the government teat of artificially low interest rates).
    And that's the big question: What will happen when the government starts to raise interest rates?
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  7. #7
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,580

    Re: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    ...We will be in Jimmy Carterland by the end of the next President's first, and probably only term.
    I agree.

    Whoever that person turns out to be, from whatever party, will most likely be hated even more than Obama.

    Not only the debt issue, but also it will be highly likely that we will have another recession, as we are already overdue based upon the average length of expansionary times. the longest expansion of our economy, ever, was 120 months, which would fall in the third or fourth year of the next presidency.

    That's the only reason that I can think of that Hillary may decide not to run. No one in their right mind would want that legacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    And that's the big question: What will happen when the government starts to raise interest rates?
    Well, they have promised for YEARS that they will raise them - and they never have. Plus, they keep moving the goalposts that dictate when they will raise them. They used to say a 6% U-3 rate would do it. But that has come and gone and still ZIRP (zero interest rate policy) is in place.

    They said when ZIRP first began that it would be a few months, maybe a year...and that was over 7 years ago.


    As I said, I don't think the Fed dares raise rates because they fear the economy will collapse. And if after seven years of ZIRP and trillions in QE/government stimulus the economy is STILL not healthy enough for it to stand on it's own...then it is clear that they simply have no idea what they are doing.

    ZIRP and QE have failed (of course, Keynesians claim that 'it stopped a depression'. Fine prove it. Oh right....they can't. So all they have is unproven fear mongering as defence for this asinine macroeconomic 'rescue plan' that is costing trillions, making the rich MUCH richer while food stamp has risen over 40% and less Americans under 55 are working now then when Obama took office - not that he is entirely to blame, Bush made tons of mistakes as well).

    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t09.htm

    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/arch...t_02062009.pdf
    Last edited by DA60; 01-26-15 at 11:20 PM.

  9. #9
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I agree.

    Whoever that person turns out to be, from whatever party, will most likely be hated even more than Obama.

    Not only the debt issue, but also it will be highly likely that we will have another recession, as we are already overdue based upon the average length of expansionary times. the longest expansion of our economy, ever, was 120 months, which would fall in the third or fourth year of the next presidency.

    That's the only reason that I can think of that Hillary may decide not to run. No one in their right mind would want that legacy.
    If you are right, that's pretty worrisome as things are already quite bad despite what BS is coming from the White House.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  10. #10
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,226

    Re: Federal debt will explode over next 10 years, CBO says

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Just don't plan on borrowing any money for the next two presidencies. I have maintained all along that no matter who comes next, they are screwed. Obama is keeping the debt service lower by doing short term bonds which will drive up long term interest rates when it comes time to refinance the debt over the long term. Debt service on just the current debt is going to explode. We will be in Jimmy Carterland by the end of the next President's first, and probably only term.
    So your'e saying things are going to improve ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •