Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 999

Thread: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

  1. #1
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,842

    Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    And they do this due to their love for their country. Thoughts are?

    Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/us...=top-news&_r=0

    The political network overseen by the conservative billionaires Charles G. and David H. Koch plans to spend close to $900 million on the 2016 campaign, an unparalelled effort by outside groups to shape a presidential election that is already on track to be the most expensive in history.

    The goal, revealed Monday at the Kochs’ annual winter donor retreat near Palm Springs, Calif., would effectively allow their political organization to operate at the same financial scale as the Democratic and Republican parties. In the last presidential election, the Republican National Committee and the party’s two congressional campaign committees spent a total of $657 million.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  2. #2
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,478
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    And they do this due to their love for their country. Thoughts are?

    Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/us...=top-news&_r=0

    The political network overseen by the conservative billionaires Charles G. and David H. Koch plans to spend close to $900 million on the 2016 campaign, an unparalelled effort by outside groups to shape a presidential election that is already on track to be the most expensive in history.

    The goal, revealed Monday at the Kochs’ annual winter donor retreat near Palm Springs, Calif., would effectively allow their political organization to operate at the same financial scale as the Democratic and Republican parties. In the last presidential election, the Republican National Committee and the party’s two congressional campaign committees spent a total of $657 million.
    I'm no socialist but sometimes I think some people have waaay too much money.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  3. #3
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,662

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Out of curiosity, if someone really liked "Brand X" peanut butter and decided to initiate a campaign to get more people to like the brand would you have a problem with that? What if they spent $900M to get you to change from "Brand Y" to their preferred brand?

  4. #4
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,842

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Out of curiosity, if someone really liked "Brand X" peanut butter and decided to initiate a campaign to get more people to like the brand would you have a problem with that? What if they spent $900M to get you to change from "Brand Y" to their preferred brand?
    And the connection is? Sticky fingers? Ya must be it- sticky fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  5. #5
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    If they're spending the money legally, more power to them. People should be happy that an individual is shoveling almost a $billion into the economy, employing scads of Americans in the process, and not squirreling it away in some offshore account or employing peons in India to answer phones.

    That said, Canada is going to go through a federal election this year and by comparison, our election law limits 3rd party spending to $200,000 and we can't stand the number of ads we get subjected to. I can't imagine the pain suffered by Americans in this regard. And I don't for a minute think the amount of money matters so much as the impact of the message.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #6
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    And they do this due to their love for their country. Thoughts are?

    Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/us...=top-news&_r=0

    The political network overseen by the conservative billionaires Charles G. and David H. Koch plans to spend close to $900 million on the 2016 campaign, an unparalelled effort by outside groups to shape a presidential election that is already on track to be the most expensive in history.

    The goal, revealed Monday at the Kochs’ annual winter donor retreat near Palm Springs, Calif., would effectively allow their political organization to operate at the same financial scale as the Democratic and Republican parties. In the last presidential election, the Republican National Committee and the party’s two congressional campaign committees spent a total of $657 million.
    Thoughts are if you have it to spend, go for it. It's their money to spend as they see fit. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on politics but then again I'm sure they wouldn't understand everything I spend my money on either.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #7
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Out of curiosity, if someone really liked "Brand X" peanut butter and decided to initiate a campaign to get more people to like the brand would you have a problem with that? What if they spent $900M to get you to change from "Brand Y" to their preferred brand?
    Choosing a President is a little more important than choosing peanut butter. We are already influenced by China and other countries over the products we purchased. Do you want to allow them to buy our Presidency as well?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #8
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If they're spending the money legally, more power to them. People should be happy that an individual is shoveling almost a $billion into the economy, employing scads of Americans in the process, and not squirreling it away in some offshore account or employing peons in India to answer phones.

    That said, Canada is going to go through a federal election this year and by comparison, our election law limits 3rd party spending to $200,000 and we can't stand the number of ads we get subjected to. I can't imagine the pain suffered by Americans in this regard. And I don't for a minute think the amount of money matters so much as the impact of the message.
    Living in NH is mostly a great thing, but the political ads start to run here one year before the general election because of the primaries, and even I, who loves politics, tires of them. And when each party is holding primaries it's double the madness.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #9
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    You don't understand why someone would choose to spend 1% of their net worth on political influence? It is unlikely to be missed and may be a far wiser investment than buyiing lottery tickets.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #10
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,662

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Choosing a President is a little more important than choosing peanut butter. We are already influenced by China and other countries over the products we purchased. Do you want to allow them to buy our Presidency as well?
    How much is it worth to you to vote Republican?

Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •