Page 6 of 100 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 999

Thread: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

  1. #51
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Out of curiosity, if someone really liked "Brand X" peanut butter and decided to initiate a campaign to get more people to like the brand would you have a problem with that? What if they spent $900M to get you to change from "Brand Y" to their preferred brand?
    Are you under the impression that this example properly addresses the concerns people have about money and its influence on politics?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #52
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Like what, for example?
    Like No USA PATRIOT Act which basically gives the president the power to order an agency to insert a warrant-less chip in your anus during your colonoscopy, scoop you up, and drop you naked on the side of a river in Tanzania. For as much whining as the right does about their rights and the Constitution, a century of progressive laws can't hold a candle to what that thing did to the Constitution.

  3. #53
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    If course not. It's always "my integrity is unimpeachable but everyone else is weak willed".

    Why is it that liberals always think they can do no wrong but everyone else is a **** up?

    I don't think everyone else is a **** up....quite the contrary. I think you have hard core Republicans that are not going to be swayed by advertising....you have hard core democrats that are not going to be swayed by advertising. You have a good percentage on each side that will listen to the advertising and weigh it against other literature and will make a vote based on all of the information...and then you have a large percentage of people that watch a lot of TV and are easily swayed by a 60 second sound bite. Remember the Bush Prison ad against Dukakis? That ad pretty much swayed the entire election. Advertising is a powerful medium. I don't have a problem with it with commercial products, but our elections are too important for this.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #54
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Like No USA PATRIOT Act which basically gives the president the power to order an agency to insert a warrant-less chip in your anus during your colonoscopy, scoop you up, and drop you naked on the side of a river in Tanzania. For as much whining as the right does about their rights and the Constitution, a century of progressive laws can't hold a candle to what that thing did to the Constitution.
    No argument from me there.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #55
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    And they do this due to their love for their country. Thoughts are?

    Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/us...=top-news&_r=0

    The political network overseen by the conservative billionaires Charles G. and David H. Koch plans to spend close to $900 million on the 2016 campaign, an unparalelled effort by outside groups to shape a presidential election that is already on track to be the most expensive in history.

    The goal, revealed Monday at the Kochs’ annual winter donor retreat near Palm Springs, Calif., would effectively allow their political organization to operate at the same financial scale as the Democratic and Republican parties. In the last presidential election, the Republican National Committee and the party’s two congressional campaign committees spent a total of $657 million.
    what is thier goal?
    is it a republican president?

    if so that money better be going towards some type of cloning/accelerated growth experiment to develop a new candidate that can actually win in 2016. Currently it looks VERY grim and Id say it may cost 3 times that to get it done. Also this is based on what i wain its based on the current dynamics of today's politics. I dont see the Reps wining in 2016 without some new candidate that hasnt been rumored yet or some huge factual scandal.

    on topic i actually hate that this is allowed, other countries have limits and regulations and i wish we did too.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #56
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    And they do this due to their love for their country. Thoughts are?

    Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/us...=top-news&_r=0

    The political network overseen by the conservative billionaires Charles G. and David H. Koch plans to spend close to $900 million on the 2016 campaign, an unparalelled effort by outside groups to shape a presidential election that is already on track to be the most expensive in history.

    The goal, revealed Monday at the Kochs’ annual winter donor retreat near Palm Springs, Calif., would effectively allow their political organization to operate at the same financial scale as the Democratic and Republican parties. In the last presidential election, the Republican National Committee and the party’s two congressional campaign committees spent a total of $657 million.
    Simple.

    When you have a crappy product that no one likes, you have to spend a lot of extra money on marketing to sell i.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  7. #57
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Like No USA PATRIOT Act which basically gives the president the power to order an agency to insert a warrant-less chip in your anus during your colonoscopy, scoop you up, and drop you naked on the side of a river in Tanzania. For as much whining as the right does about their rights and the Constitution, a century of progressive laws can't hold a candle to what that thing did to the Constitution.
    Clearly you love the terrorists and hate 'murca.

    At least, that's what people told me in 2001 when I raised my objections. I guess those folks convinced themselves that our wonderful, trustworthy government would never turn these powers on "good guys."

    But now there's a Democrat in the white house so suddenly it's tyranny.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #58
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    They are not spending 900 million in a advertisement campaign for their private company, they are putting up 900 billion to lobby and buy off politicians. If they wanted to put in a crony capitalist who would destroy the free market and give the Koch's a monopoly on the market and picking politicians, the current system actually has the potential to give them the power to do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Out of curiosity, if someone really liked "Brand X" peanut butter and decided to initiate a campaign to get more people to like the brand would you have a problem with that? What if they spent $900M to get you to change from "Brand Y" to their preferred brand?

  9. #59
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,029

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Thoughts are if you have it to spend, go for it. It's their money to spend as they see fit. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on politics but then again I'm sure they wouldn't understand everything I spend my money on either.
    Did you know that typically the candidate that spends the most money usually wins? What if you felt your candidate was the best candidate but a ton special interest money was spent on his or her opponent, and he or she won because of it?

  10. #60
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,029

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Nope. There's no evidence that they hold any more power than anyone else in this country when it comes to influencing politicians.
    You couldn't be more wrong!

    The Power of Money

Page 6 of 100 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •