Page 18 of 100 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 999

Thread: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

  1. #171
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Lol....thats right.

    The untold amounts of donations to the Democrat party and to Obamas re-election camapign came from unnamed sources.

    You guys just get a little nervous when you lose your monopolies and Unions have been corrupting the Democratic process for decades.
    Citation needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Bull, the Unions donate to and support the Democrat Party and have been for decades.

    The last Union I was in didn't ask me wether or not I wanted my Union dues to go to a Conservative or Progressive candidate.

    They took it upon their selves to make that decision for me.

    Face it, you guys lost your monopoly and now all you can do is hypocritically complain about political donations coming from large private organizations.
    I would want campaign contributions to be aimed at candidates who support workers if the contributions were being made by an organization formed of and for workers.

    That's generally a position held by democrats.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  2. #172
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,934

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If they're spending the money legally, more power to them. People should be happy that an individual is shoveling almost a $billion into the economy, employing scads of Americans in the process, and not squirreling it away in some offshore account or employing peons in India to answer phones.

    That said, Canada is going to go through a federal election this year and by comparison, our election law limits 3rd party spending to $200,000 and we can't stand the number of ads we get subjected to. I can't imagine the pain suffered by Americans in this regard. And I don't for a minute think the amount of money matters so much as the impact of the message.
    How are the conservatives looking this cycle? Is Harper out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  3. #173
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,770

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    If you were talking about legislative votes, your article still has nothing to do with it. The article presented no evidence that the Koch brothers influence politicians to the point that politicians vote against their will because the Koch brothers force them to.
    So do you think the Koch brothers are morons and all that money is wasted?

    And I'm not making an argument that politicians vote against "their will." What is self evident is that big money changes the dynamic of what vote maximizes a politician's self interest. They can vote against the Koch brothers and KNOW they'll face an avalance of dog crap in the next primary, or they can vote with them and receive significant financial support. Are you really contending that the money has no influence on which way a legislator votes? I don't think you can believe that. So I'm not sure what your point is.

  4. #174
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,770

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Bull, the Unions donate to and support the Democrat Party and have been for decades.

    The last Union I was in didn't ask me wether or not I wanted my Union dues to go to a Conservative or Progressive candidate.

    They took it upon their selves to make that decision for me.

    Face it, you guys lost your monopoly and now all you can do is hypocritically complain about political donations coming from large private organizations.
    Interesting. I don't recall any of the companies I'm invested in asking me about their political activities either. Hmmmm........

  5. #175
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,075

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I remember all those democrats that spent money to deny the republicans the Senate majority. Money well spent.
    Not really. Do you have any links? Even the DNC gave up on a lot of democrats and didn't pour a lot of money into the races.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  6. #176
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    How are the conservatives looking this cycle? Is Harper out?
    It's looking like a Harper win at this point - perhaps minority government, but still possible majority once again. The two prime issues in the election will likely be terrorism, because of the ISIS issue and the killings in Ottawa and Quebec, and the economy, because of the drop in oil prices and the Conservatives bringing in a budget surplus this year. The Liberals and the NDP have nothing to challenge that two punch.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #177
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    So do you think the Koch brothers are morons and all that money is wasted?

    And I'm not making an argument that politicians vote against "their will." What is self evident is that big money changes the dynamic of what vote maximizes a politician's self interest. They can vote against the Koch brothers and KNOW they'll face an avalance of dog crap in the next primary, or they can vote with them and receive significant financial support. Are you really contending that the money has no influence on which way a legislator votes? I don't think you can believe that. So I'm not sure what your point is.
    They support the candidates whose political leans are closely aligned with their own. Maverick, I know. Imagine doing that?

    There is no evidence that they bribe or influence politicians to cast a vote that the politician would not otherwise do. No problems for me. God bless the first amendment and the right to support the candidate you want.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Bull, the Unions donate to and support the Democrat Party and have been for decades.

    The last Union I was in didn't ask me wether or not I wanted my Union dues to go to a Conservative or Progressive candidate.

    They took it upon their selves to make that decision for me.

    Face it, you guys lost your monopoly and now all you can do is hypocritically complain about political donations coming from large private organizations.
    Unions are democratic organizations. You could have attended meetings and had input into that decision.

  9. #179
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Not really. Do you have any links? Even the DNC gave up on a lot of democrats and didn't pour a lot of money into the races.
    Oh, so nobody donated to democratic candidates in 2014? They all funded their own campaigns. That explains why they got their asses handed to them.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #180
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Kochs Plan to Spend $900 Million on 2016 Campaign

    Great, manufactured consent via American Plutocrats.

Page 18 of 100 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •