Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 205

Thread: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    HAVANA - The start of talks on repairing 50 years of broken relations appears to have left President Raul Castro's government focused on winning additional concessions without giving in to U.S. demands for greater freedoms, despite the seeming benefits that warmer ties could have for the country's struggling economy. Following the highest-level open talks in three decades between the two nations, Cuban officials remained firm in rejecting significant reforms pushed by the United States as part of President Barack Obama's surprise move to re-establish ties and rebuild economic relations with the Communist-led country.

    "One can't think that in order to improve and normalize relations with the U.S., Cuba has to give up the principles it believes in," Cuba's top diplomat for U.S. affairs, Josefina Vidal, told The Associated Press after the end of the talks. "Changes in Cuba aren't negotiable."



    cont...https://ca.news.yahoo.com/cuba-leave...224809935.html
    The Canadian PressBy Michael Weissenstein And Anne-Marie Garcia, The Associated Press | The Canadian Press 6 hours ago

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Another Obama foreign policy success.

    Can someone explain what we got in return for this?

  3. #3
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,930

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Remember Americas first progressive president made a name by evicting crappy landlords from cuba, maybe Obama can learn something there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Remember Americas first progressive president made a name by evicting crappy landlords from cuba, maybe Obama can learn something there...
    The problem is this story further demonstrates Obama is a slow learner. Gotta love the irony of the term "smart diplomacy".

  5. #5
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    It's their business what freedoms they give their citizens. Not up to us. We dont dictate to China or Saudi Arabia, for ex, how to treat their citizens. We huff and puff but do little of substance. Our attempts at changes to human rights have taken years and have made no inroads in SA.

    that doesnt mean I like the system in Cuba, just that it's hypocritical to consider it our business, both in general and there specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It's their business what freedoms they give their citizens. Not up to us. We dont dictate to China or Saudi Arabia, for ex, how to treat their citizens. We huff and puff but do little of substance. Our attempts at changes to human rights have taken years and have made no inroads in SA.

    that doesnt mean I like the system in Cuba, just that it's hypocritical to consider it our business, both in general and there specifically.
    Wow this is rich. So under the flawed and naive leadership of Obama, we "liberalized" relations with Cuba-at the time I said it was not going to improve our situation, and that it would do nothing to help the average cuban... and now that Cuba has walked away from the US, and stated unequivocally that it will not be changed from a commie dictatorship-its not our business?

    In doing that, we are propping up commie dictators which only strengthens their power, and for what? What do we get in return? What do Cubans get? Not a damn thing.


    Think of how silly our POTUS looks/sounds not even a week later. This is what happens when people vote for lefties.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Wow this is rich. So under the flawed and naive leadership of Obama, we "liberalized" relations with Cuba-at the time I said it was not going to improve our situation, and that it would do nothing to help the average cuban... and now that Cuba has walked away from the US, and stated unequivocally that it will not be changed from a commie dictatorship-its not our business?

    In doing that, we are propping up commie dictators which only strengthens their power, and for what? What do we get in return? What do Cubans get? Not a damn thing.
    Of course it will fix their situation, eventually. It will contribute.

    But Rubio was an idiot in his comments where he did more than imply, basically stated, that it was our responsibility to bring freedom and democracy to the Cubans. It's not. And it's hypocritical to say such when we dont do the same in SA or China (for example...there are plenty of others) yet have normal or near normal economic relationships with them.

    We are opening more doors there...we're not propping up dying dictators. We're getting their involvement...as Raul stated..and that will be already in place when he and Fidel croak. The foundation will be there to build on. No one else is going to step in and be the kind of dictators they are/were.

    yeah...let's continue for another 50 years.

    What's the definition of stupid: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result (Paraphrasing Einstein.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Of course it will fix their situation, eventually. It will contribute.

    But Rubio was an idiot in his comments where he did more than imply, basically stated, that it was our responsibility to bring freedom and democracy to the Cubans. It's not. And it's hypocritical to say such when we dont do the same in SA or China (for example...there are plenty of others) yet have normal or near normal economic relationships with them.

    We are opening more doors there...we're not propping up dying dictators. We're getting their involvement...as Raul stated..and that will be already in place when he and Fidel croak. The foundation will be there to build on. No one else is going to step in and be the kind of dictators they are/were.

    yeah...let's continue for another 50 years.

    What's the definition of stupid: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result (Paraphrasing Einstein.)
    What do you mean of course it will fix their situation? When Cuba gets more money (through its state owned business) who gets the money-the govt or the people? Plenty of western nations do business there now and its a crap hole. How would more money change that?

    The only thing it does it allow the leadership to improve its security. Let me guess, you thought the "fair and equitable" commies were going to hand it out to the people of Cuba?

    All communism does is make everyone equally poor and miserable (excepting the elites). And Obama is helping to do exactly that.

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    The US simply needs to get out of the regime change business. We aren't good at it Giving money to Cuba helps the regime, not the country. The best thing we can do is what we have always done and that is to welcome Cuban refugees. The Cuban regime isn't going to become our friend. I know the prez want's everybody to love him but he just can't win them all over. Such is life.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Christ....why two threads on the same topic.....

    Cut n paste:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    There's nothing more insanely stupid, and hugely embarrassing then the US-Cuba relations over the past multiple decades.

    Regardless of which nincompoop is in the WH, our childish and hypocritical stance with Cuba speaks volumes about our policies.

    Ending the embargo, opening up trade, and dropping this truly childish behavior would show maturity and intelligence. So I don't expect the USofA to do any such thing any time soon.

    I would like to be pleasantly surprised though. Any president (regardless of party affiliation) that ends this foolishness will get a firm nod of approval from me.
    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •