Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 205

Thread: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

  1. #191
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,154

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Damn good plan.....


    Coupled with a restorative plan, it might work. The Berlin Wall came down because of American blue jeans, rock and roll and Playboy magazine.

    The US has created resentment in the people, I have listened to them. They do not understand at all why they are punished for something over which they have no control, the actions of an unelected government. When Kennedy invoked them, it was to save face, without any regard for the consequences to the people, while the US was still aiding and rebuilding Japan and Germany.

    The hearts and the minds of a nation are what needs winning, not ego battles and heavy artillery. Poland's Solidarity could not have gone anywhere without the Polish people behind them, and they followed because they wanted ****ing tractor parts, blue jeans, and better Vodka.

    Having been to Cuba, having compared it to other Caribbean islands, it is the same here. Let in some ****ing blue jeans, baseball uniforms, cleats and bats along with some auto parts and Raul won't last long.

    Obama, as usual, is blowing smoke, he has no clear agenda other than what he can mis-represent to the American people, with an agenda that has so far only angered the country's leadership. Based on history, from Vietnam to Iraq, I am certain the White House doesn't know the first ****ing thing about the needs of the people....they are functioning on the needs of the White House.

    When you win their hearts and minds, their asses and pocketbooks are soon to follow.

    And start paying ****ing rent on Gitmo....
    I agree, but you don't win hearts and minds if you're not talking.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #192
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,417

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I agree, but you don't win hearts and minds if you're not talking.
    ????

    When did Reagan talk with Russia about Poland?

    You just don't get it.

    Anything Obama does has to be defended even though there is NO historical precedent....?

    Look, the whole Cuba policy has been a ****ing nightmare from the beginning. The US is in violation of international law on the embargo and the "occupational force" at Gitmo.

    You DO NOT have the moral high ground.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  3. #193
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,552
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    HAVANA - The start of talks on repairing 50 years of broken relations appears to have left President Raul Castro's government focused on winning additional concessions without giving in to U.S. demands for greater freedoms, despite the seeming benefits that warmer ties could have for the country's struggling economy. Following the highest-level open talks in three decades between the two nations, Cuban officials remained firm in rejecting significant reforms pushed by the United States as part of President Barack Obama's surprise move to re-establish ties and rebuild economic relations with the Communist-led country.

    "One can't think that in order to improve and normalize relations with the U.S., Cuba has to give up the principles it believes in," Cuba's top diplomat for U.S. affairs, Josefina Vidal, told The Associated Press after the end of the talks. "Changes in Cuba aren't negotiable."



    cont...https://ca.news.yahoo.com/cuba-leave...224809935.html
    The Canadian PressBy Michael Weissenstein And Anne-Marie Garcia, The Associated Press | The Canadian Press 6 hours ago
    Cuba has been embargoed by the US for 50 years, but they trade with most other nations. They have lots of tourists and foreign investment, but it has not improved the lot of ordinary cubans a bit. I don't know why the administration thinks that Cuba is going to change just because we drop the embargo. The cuban government doesn't let citizens do their own deals with foreigners.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Cuba has been embargoed by the US for 50 years, but they trade with most other nations. They have lots of tourists and foreign investment, but it has not improved the lot of ordinary cubans a bit. I don't know why the administration thinks that Cuba is going to change just because we drop the embargo. The cuban government doesn't let citizens do their own deals with foreigners.
    Exactly! Im still waiting for someone to explain to me how this is a good thing, so far the lefty response seems to be "what we are doing now isn't working".

    My next thought is so why do something else that you also know does not work?

  5. #195
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,552
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Exactly! Im still waiting for someone to explain to me how this is a good thing, so far the lefty response seems to be "what we are doing now isn't working".

    My next thought is so why do something else that you also know does not work?
    On the other hand, the changes that Cuba made over the last two years have been a good start. They loosened up the market for private exchange and abolished their duel currency system in which tourists get one currency and the citizens get another. This opens up the possiblity of trade with foreigners, but so far it's still illegal there to hire cubans without going through the government.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  6. #196
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,154

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    ????

    When did Reagan talk with Russia about Poland?

    You just don't get it.

    Anything Obama does has to be defended even though there is NO historical precedent....?

    Look, the whole Cuba policy has been a ****ing nightmare from the beginning. The US is in violation of international law on the embargo and the "occupational force" at Gitmo.

    You DO NOT have the moral high ground.
    When did Reagan talk with Russia? Are you serious?



    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #197
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Exactly! Im still waiting for someone to explain to me how this is a good thing, so far the lefty response seems to be "what we are doing now isn't working". My next thought is so why do something else that you also know does not work?
    Cons have a piss poor concept of why we 'won' the cold war. Not because Reagan spent us into being the biggest debtor nation after being the biggest creditor nation but rather because looser import regulation allowed Russians to see the HUGE consumer goods market they had been denied. Ask Gorbie what told him the end was nigh and it wasn't Star Wars but the personal computer damn near every American home had at least one of.

    The other nation's contribution to Cuba's economy is but a drop in the bucket compared to what the USofA's people will pour into their economy. What will turn the tide isn't deals made by Presidents- didn't in the USSR's case, but rather the people seeing what can be gained by abandoning the old system and adopting a new, freer society.

    Many opined the regimes of the old Warsaw Pact wouldn't go quietly into history, but not even the Great Wizard of Trickle Down saw the complete collapse of East Germany- not by tanks and blood in the streets but with hand held pick axes and a few beers.

    I guess some folks don't understand history or the power of the people to reform government peacefully... looking at the 'from my cold dead hands crowd'....

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    On the other hand, the changes that Cuba made over the last two years have been a good start. They loosened up the market for private exchange and abolished their duel currency system in which tourists get one currency and the citizens get another. This opens up the possiblity of trade with foreigners, but so far it's still illegal there to hire cubans without going through the government.
    Yeah they have been doing some good things, like allowing cell phones and international calls, but at the heart of the matter is a communist dictatorship-dictators dont just give up power, and I dont see the Castro's passing on Cuba to someone who isn't a true believer.

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Cons have a piss poor concept of why we 'won' the cold war. Not because Reagan spent us into being the biggest debtor nation after being the biggest creditor nation but rather because looser import regulation allowed Russians to see the HUGE consumer goods market they had been denied. Ask Gorbie what told him the end was nigh and it wasn't Star Wars but the personal computer damn near every American home had at least one of.

    The other nation's contribution to Cuba's economy is but a drop in the bucket compared to what the USofA's people will pour into their economy. What will turn the tide isn't deals made by Presidents- didn't in the USSR's case, but rather the people seeing what can be gained by abandoning the old system and adopting a new, freer society.

    Many opined the regimes of the old Warsaw Pact wouldn't go quietly into history, but not even the Great Wizard of Trickle Down saw the complete collapse of East Germany- not by tanks and blood in the streets but with hand held pick axes and a few beers.

    I guess some folks don't understand history or the power of the people to reform government peacefully... looking at the 'from my cold dead hands crowd'....
    You "know" history through the rose-colored lenses of a lefty.

  10. #200
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Cuba leaves talks on US ties insisting it won't make major changes to its system

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You "know" history through the rose-colored lenses of a lefty.
    No through a combat vet's slightly jaundice eye...

    But the CON game is to attack the person and not discuss the issue.... how ahhhh 'Palin' of you....

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •