Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 146

Thread: New York City mayor: 'Don't underestimate this storm'

  1. #21
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,942

    Re: New York City mayor: 'Don't underestimate this storm'

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    everything of yours is insured? Why, that's awesome!!!

    But if you ever lose your house in a natural disaster, the insurance will help you get back in a home, but not in the days immediatelly following the disaster.
    everything that costs a lot to replace anyway.

    I have 1800 dollars of firearms insured, my electronics insured, my car insured, and my home furishings insured, I hope my landlord has insurance in the building I'm living in, but I have cash reserves to get out of dodge and rent a hotel for a few nights. and friends and relatives who live all over the western US. if a massive storm came off of the pacific or a rock slide off of Vancouver island makes a tsunami, I'll go chill wit mah cuz in Kalispell MT for a week, or my coworker in Fontana, CA or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  2. #22
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: New York City mayor: 'Don't underestimate this storm'

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    everything that costs a lot to replace anyway.

    I have 1800 dollars of firearms insured, my electronics insured, my car insured, and my home furishings insured, I hope my landlord has insurance in the building I'm living in, but I have cash reserves to get out of dodge and rent a hotel for a few nights. and friends and relatives who live all over the western US. if a massive storm came off of the pacific or a rock slide off of Vancouver island makes a tsunami, I'll go chill wit mah cuz in Kalispell MT for a week, or my coworker in Fontana, CA or something...
    You should not assume that you will be able to find a hotel room or travel out of the area in the event of a natural disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #23
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,370

    Re: New York City mayor: 'Don't underestimate this storm'

    Stay warm folks.

    (it was 78 degrees here today...LOL)
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  4. #24
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: New York City mayor: 'Don't underestimate this storm'

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm hoping that this year is the one year my power doesn't go out during the Big Storm of the Year.

    Pray for me.
    if you fear a power outage,i wonder what backups could work in your arfea.if you live in an apartment,a generator is a nogo,unless you want to suspend it outside the window to avoid carbon monoxide.a solar panel wont work because of cloud coverage plus snow blocking the panel.i guess you could have a battery bank charged by solar and use it when power goes out conservatively,or one of though wall charge jump start/power supple boxes with built in inverters.


    but in all prepperness,people in the northeast big cities are kinda screwed,most backup power supplies arent viable and those that are arent viable in an urban environment.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  5. #25
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,942

    Re: New York City mayor: 'Don't underestimate this storm'

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You should not assume that you will be able to find a hotel room or travel out of the area in the event of a natural disaster.
    It depends, if you wait until after it's happened you're right. if you leave in advance you can usually get out...

    besides I'm well situated geographically, my home is on an island on a protected harbor. on the leeward side. I'm protected from wind, and have well stocked provisions. I probably wouldn't need to leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  6. #26
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,942

    Re: New York City mayor: 'Don't underestimate this storm'

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    if you fear a power outage,i wonder what backups could work in your arfea.if you live in an apartment,a generator is a nogo,unless you want to suspend it outside the window to avoid carbon monoxide.a solar panel wont work because of cloud coverage plus snow blocking the panel.i guess you could have a battery bank charged by solar and use it when power goes out conservatively,or one of though wall charge jump start/power supple boxes with built in inverters.


    but in all prepperness,people in the northeast big cities are kinda screwed,most backup power supplies arent viable and those that are arent viable in an urban environment.
    get a deep cycle marine battery, like on diesel boats and yachts. those will give a few hours of power for radios and some electric heat sources. of course a space heater will eat power quickly, but if you can use one to power say a pellet stove (although you're unlikely to see those in an apartment unit) it will last longer.

    best trick, I learned this from driving truck, get a wide candle, cut it so its short, put it in a coffee can (like a the old tin/aluminum Yuban cans) put up 5 or 6 of those should heat a bed room in an apartment building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  7. #27
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: New York City mayor: 'Don't underestimate this storm'

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    Best wishes for everyone up there, the weather outlook reports are worrisome.
    Greetings, OrphanSlug.

    I'm in NE Ohio, about a 40 minute drive to the Pennsylvania border, and just in the past hour, we have had about six inches of snow fall, and it's windy and still snowing hard with strong winds and really piling up! The storm area must be larger than they indicated on TV, and we are getting "alerts," but hopefully if we are just on the fringes of this monster, we won't get the two to three feet of snow that New York is expecting. I hope we don't lose power, cause it's 21 degrees here. I don't know when they'll get around to plowing our little street - they're trying to keep the main streets and highways as clear as they can...I guess I won't be going anywhere tomorrow!

  8. #28
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: New York City mayor: 'Don't underestimate this storm'

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    if you fear a power outage,i wonder what backups could work in your arfea.if you live in an apartment,a generator is a nogo,unless you want to suspend it outside the window to avoid carbon monoxide.a solar panel wont work because of cloud coverage plus snow blocking the panel.i guess you could have a battery bank charged by solar and use it when power goes out conservatively,or one of though wall charge jump start/power supple boxes with built in inverters.


    but in all prepperness,people in the northeast big cities are kinda screwed,most backup power supplies arent viable and those that are arent viable in an urban environment.
    I live at the border of suburbia and cow country. My neighbor has a generator and he lets me hook into it for the essentials like a couple of lights, and the fridge but there's no internet or cable or any of the other goodies that use electricity when the lines go down.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #29
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: New York City mayor: 'Don't underestimate this storm'

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    that's the problem for us Western Washingtonians Lursa, we never have bad weather like this.

    I keep my survival gear and emergency supplies stocked, then I end up having to replace them without ever using them.

    I mean the worst we had was that windstorm 9 years ago. and that only cut power for two days... I'm really praying hard for a massive dumping snow storm while I'm off and at home....
    What? I have had 16 inches of snow and no power for 3 days.

    I have lived in a suburb and had no power for 8 days. In December.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #30
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: New York City mayor: 'Don't underestimate this storm'

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    get a deep cycle marine battery, like on diesel boats and yachts. those will give a few hours of power for radios and some electric heat sources. of course a space heater will eat power quickly, but if you can use one to power say a pellet stove (although you're unlikely to see those in an apartment unit) it will last longer.

    best trick, I learned this from driving truck, get a wide candle, cut it so its short, put it in a coffee can (like a the old tin/aluminum Yuban cans) put up 5 or 6 of those should heat a bed room in an apartment building.
    never thought of putting candles in a coffee can for heating.

    i knew about deep cycle batteries,but in a snowstorm they will dry up quickly without something like a solar power source to charge them,even using the bare essentuals.down south we have tornados floods etc but when power goes out,we can fire up a generator and run the cord through a window,something urban people living in apartments cant do unless they have a balcony.


    i feel really bad for anyone there who relies on electric space heaters for part or all of their heating.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •