Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 75

Thread: Group says 'American Sniper' film spurs threats against Muslims

  1. #31
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41,253
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Group says 'American Sniper' film spurs threats against Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    You mean the words 'american' and 'patriot' only push buttons for that certain sect? Why would the government pass a law giving themselves new powers of surveillance and call it the USA Patriot Act? And please don't quote a contrived acronym- it's called that to make opposition to it appear unpatriotic. It's the same reason the word 'American' is in the movie title.
    Worked on you, didn't it. Your panties wouldn't have gotten half so knotted over criticism of a movie called 'Sniper'.
    I'm mocking the anti sniper turds.
    Better Living Through Regulation - DNC



  2. #32
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,420
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Group says 'American Sniper' film spurs threats against Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I'm mocking the anti sniper turds.
    But my point is that both you and the 'anti-sniper' crowd are only bothering with it because of the word, 'American' in the title. Outwith that, it's just another war movie.
    YNWA

  3. #33
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41,253
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Group says 'American Sniper' film spurs threats against Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    But my point is that both you and the 'anti-sniper' crowd are only bothering with it because of the word, 'American' in the title. Outwith that, it's just another war movie.
    Nope you are wrong.
    Better Living Through Regulation - DNC



  4. #34
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,420
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Group says 'American Sniper' film spurs threats against Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Nope you are wrong.
    Not likely. I'm disagreeing with you, aren't I?
    YNWA

  5. #35
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,536

    Re: Group says 'American Sniper' film spurs threats against Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    What "hateful language directed at U.S. Arabs and Muslims?"

    At worst, Kyle is shown refering to insurgents and insurgent sympathizers as being "savages." There are absolutely no instances of the term being used as a racial slur against Muslims or Arabs in general, let alone those living in the United States.
    Agreed. Kyle was referring to Islamic extremists who are known to behead or otherwise kill people who are either non-muslims or are of a different sect of islam then they are. They earn the term "savages". ISIL in the last few weeks killed two teenage boys who's only crime was watching a soccer game on television.

  6. #36
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: Group says 'American Sniper' film spurs threats against Muslims

    I didnt see the movie but I read the book. With that level of detail, the distinctions are clearer, as well as why our troops viewed the hostile elements the way they did. Entirely justifiable that I remember. Cant remember every instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Welfare is a bad thing? It is essentially free money. It is not that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I look at abortion the same way I do Pineapple Pizza.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Group says 'American Sniper' film spurs threats against Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Geez, he must really need the work. That Titanic money didn't last forever, apparently.

    Anyway, does anyone see all the imaginary liberals in MrVicchio's head lauding this movie?

    Yea. It was certainly a ****ty thing to do; from a career perspective and otherwise.

    In any case, I'm sure that Michael Moore probably liked it, if no one else.

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Good point. And that really is a testament to Clint Eastwood as a director-
     
    he makes Kyle sympathetic by actually showing signs of remorse after he killed the mother and kid (by the way there was no kid in the book and Kyle actually said he liked killing Iraqis and he had no problems with it)
    he has really made the film as non-political as possible, however, many people from both sides, left and right, are pretty much drawing their own conclusions due to their own biases.
    To be fair, it is possible that real life Kyle felt a bit differently about it than the "tough guy" persona he was trying to get across in the book. It's hard to really say.

    I certainly would agree, however, that Clint did a good job toning down the more "politically incorrect" aspects of the story. Maybe too good a job, all told.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 01-25-15 at 03:34 PM.

  8. #38
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,109

    Re: Group says 'American Sniper' film spurs threats against Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    I wonder what would happen if some arab movie maker made a film about a mythical arab sniper taking out westerners one at a time, and portraying them as heathens in the process.

    Boy, that would go over like a lead balloon, eh?
    If there are Muslims who are receiving threats of violence, they should report them to the police.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  9. #39
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,109

    Re: Group says 'American Sniper' film spurs threats against Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Where do you think the culture you live in came from? The pizza, burger, ballet, the beers ..... it came with migrants
    What the hell's that got to do with anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  10. #40
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,109

    Re: Group says 'American Sniper' film spurs threats against Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    I think half of the controversy could have been avoided by leaving the word, 'American' out of the title. A lot of people on either side wouldn't get so excited about a movie called 'Sniper'.Michael Moore probably wouldn't have even commented, Muslims probably wouldn't have gotten their rage outed about the movie 'Sniper', and the only surprise about Seth Rogen is that anyone even cares about his opinion.
    The word 'American' is one of those big, red buttons. Kinda like 'patriot'.
    The folks that are offended by, "American", in the title can all eat ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •