Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

  1. #1
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,561

    Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Okay.... WTF ????

    Increasing numbers of young women are altering the profile of Australians joining the Islamic State (IS) group in Iraq and Syria, Attorney-General George Brandis said Saturday, enticed by the "false glamour" of the organisation.

    "At an earlier time, perhaps even six months ago, we were concerned almost entirely about young men," Brandis said, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).
    "But a more recent estimate by the national security agencies suggests that a growing number of young women are travelling to participate in that fighting as well."
    Brandis said about 90 Australians were now believed to be caught up in the conflict, compared to 70 last year, the ABC reported.

    What in hell's bells is going on down in Australia that leads to this kind of crap????
    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    How does any woman manage to be so nave or ignorant that she would join an org that treats women like dogs and sex slaves, and beheads them or stones them for the smallest "offenses".... like being too educated according to recent reports...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #3
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    How does any woman manage to be so nave or ignorant that she would join an org that treats women like dogs and sex slaves, and beheads them or stones them for the smallest "offenses".... like being too educated according to recent reports...
    There's just a lot of peeps today who are not too bright, and just want to be rebels without a cause.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    There's just a lot of peeps today who are not too bright, and just want to be rebels without a cause.

    Like this one...

    Denver woman who tried to help terrorists receives 4 years



    She will likely be better treated and less miserable in prison, poor clueless nincompoop...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #5
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    How does any woman manage to be so nave or ignorant that she would join an org that treats women like dogs and sex slaves, and beheads them or stones them for the smallest "offenses".... like being too educated according to recent reports...
    Imo, this shows that there is a psychological need which is not being met, and it's not anything to do with education. There seems to be a part of the human psyche (in many, but not all of us) which needs an ideological endeavor, separate from that which intellect provides. It may just be that in our current states of existence/ societal conditions, we aren't being challenged enough just for survival, and have too much idle time on our hands. What is that old saying, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop". It's not that I even believe in a "devil", but I think there is merit to that idea.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  6. #6
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,561

    Re: Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Imo, this shows that there is a psychological need which is not being met, and it's not anything to do with education. There seems to be a part of the human psyche (in many, but not all of us) which needs an ideological endeavor, separate from that which intellect provides. It may just be that in our current states of existence/ societal conditions, we aren't being challenged enough just for survival, and have too much idle time on our hands. What is that old saying, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop". It's not that I even believe in a "devil", but I think there is merit to that idea.
    Take up surfing. Learn to play guitar. Feed the hungry. Donate to Red Cross. Start your own charity for your own cause. Save the dolphins. Adopt a stray dog. Experiment with lesbianism.....

    DON'T fly off to some other country and join a terrorist organization and start killing people!!!!!!!!!
    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Okay.... WTF ????




    What in hell's bells is going on down in Australia that leads to this kind of crap????
    It's not just Australia. The women joining IS come from all over the West. This BBC piece is a good summary of the reasons why:

    BBC News - Analysis: Why are Western women joining Islamic State?

    The perceived failure of Western states to give young Muslims a sense of belonging, purpose and value as Muslims and citizens is striking in the online accounts of these women jihadis.

    In an instance of this, one Dutch woman in Syria called Khadija (speaking to the US-based website Al-Monitor) said: "I always wanted to live under Sharia. In Europe, this will never happen."

    The women talk about the failings of Western societies, speak negatively about restrictions on how they can practise Islam (for example, the ban on wearing the burqa in France), and criticise the political system.

    Yet paradoxically, while quotes from the Koran are woven into their accounts, there is very little sign of deep knowledge about the conflict itself, or indeed about Sharia law or Islam.

    The stories of the women who have travelled from Western countries to Syria to join IS highlight the combination of political and personal reasons behind their decision. But they also indicate that their motivation is characterised by a naive romanticism.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  8. #8
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Okay.... WTF ????




    What in hell's bells is going on down in Australia that leads to this kind of crap????
    It is happening in all countries. A US woman was just jailed in Colorado for 4 years for wanting to join ISIS.
    PeteEU

  9. #9
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Take up surfing. Learn to play guitar. Feed the hungry. Donate to Red Cross. Start your own charity for your own cause. Save the dolphins. Adopt a stray dog. Experiment with lesbianism.....

    DON'T fly off to some other country and join a terrorist organization and start killing people!!!!!!!!!
    I agree, but for some people, it's all about the ideology. Some people cannot exist in a world where there are shades of gray. It's all or nothing, good vs evil, and that dichotomy defines them. If there is no obvious evil, they will go dig some up, just to have an important cause to fight for.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #10
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    How does any woman manage to be so nave or ignorant that she would join an org that treats women like dogs and sex slaves, and beheads them or stones them for the smallest "offenses".... like being too educated according to recent reports...
    Perhaps they are drawn to the oppression masochistically?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •