Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 109 of 109

Thread: Talk of Wealth Gap Prods the G.O.P. to Refocus

  1. #101
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Talk of Wealth Gap Prods the G.O.P. to Refocus

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Correct. It doesn't concern me. I find it interesting. Not many people suggest that seniors who worked their whole lives and then retired are some sort of leech on society.
    Up until I think 2012, most seniors drew more out than they ever put in and that money has to come from somewhere.

  2. #102
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,751

    Re: Talk of Wealth Gap Prods the G.O.P. to Refocus

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Up until I think 2012, most seniors drew more out than they ever put in and that money has to come from somewhere.
    Well, unfortunately you've lumped every single retired person into the same group. And quite a few millionaires. And everyone we sent to Iraq and Afghanistan. And millions of working teenagers and college students. But hey, keep telling yourself it's 47%. The longer the GOP base clings to that sort of thinking, the longer they'll stay out of the white house.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #103
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Talk of Wealth Gap Prods the G.O.P. to Refocus

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Well, unfortunately you've lumped every single retired person into the same group. And quite a few millionaires. And everyone we sent to Iraq and Afghanistan. And millions of working teenagers and college students. But hey, keep telling yourself it's 47%. The longer the GOP base clings to that sort of thinking, the longer they'll stay out of the white house.
    Okay. Thanks for the permission slip.

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,603

    Re: Talk of Wealth Gap Prods the G.O.P. to Refocus

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    So according to you loans only come from the rich and they control the banks?
    please strawman better I don't think you are very good at it.

    And no doing whatever you can to avoid paying taxes is not money laundering. It's very common to see corporate shell offices in Bermuda etc. and Swiss bank accounts have been used for decades. And if you think everybody pays their share of taxes you need to come to the real world.
    I'm not there yet but I've been infirmed there are plenty of loopholes out their for the filthy rich.
    I do whatever I can do to avoid paying taxes. lol
    you don't have to be rich to try and avoid paying taxes.

    that doesn't mean they don't pay taxes here if they have a company here. they still have to pay taxes on money made here in the US.
    yes swiss accounts have been used but in order to get the money there it has to be laundered which is illegal.

    they just don't pay taxes on the interest of that money in the US unless they bring it back into the US.

  5. #105
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: Talk of Wealth Gap Prods the G.O.P. to Refocus

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the "inability" to attack Obamacare is mainly a function of the fact that most Americans are ignorant about the difference between a federal government of limited enumerated powers and state governments
    No, I think most folks would have gotten that, had it been presented. The problem stemmed from the fact that that leaves you arguing that it is good policy, just done at the wrong level of government.

  6. #106
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Talk of Wealth Gap Prods the G.O.P. to Refocus

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No, I think most folks would have gotten that, had it been presented. The problem stemmed from the fact that that leaves you arguing that it is good policy, just done at the wrong level of government.
    to people like me who actually really understand the constitution that actually is a strong argument

    to most people, they don't understand that



  7. #107
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: Talk of Wealth Gap Prods the G.O.P. to Refocus

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    to people like me who actually really understand the constitution that actually is a strong argument
    It's a weak argument. It's strong in the sense that it is legally correct, but it's weak politically because you are forced to abandon your party's position (that Obamacare is bad policy) and argue instead that it is merely bad governance.

  8. #108
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Talk of Wealth Gap Prods the G.O.P. to Refocus

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    It's a weak argument. It's strong in the sense that it is legally correct, but it's weak politically because you are forced to abandon your party's position (that Obamacare is bad policy) and argue instead that it is merely bad governance.
    Seems there is a key point you are missing in Turtle's argument. Perhaps it is a good idea for some states and not good for other states. The key is that it is up to states to decide what is best for them, not the Federal government. Seems like that would be a central point for a lot of things we are doing at the Federal level. It might be a good idea for a state to fix their local bridges, not sure we need the money to come from the Federal government. Same with education funding. Some states do a good job, why should those states pay for the kids in California because they underfund education spending.

  9. #109
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: Talk of Wealth Gap Prods the G.O.P. to Refocus

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Seems there is a key point you are missing in Turtle's argument. Perhaps it is a good idea for some states and not good for other states. The key is that it is up to states to decide what is best for them, not the Federal government. Seems like that would be a central point for a lot of things we are doing at the Federal level. It might be a good idea for a state to fix their local bridges, not sure we need the money to come from the Federal government. Same with education funding. Some states do a good job, why should those states pay for the kids in California because they underfund education spending.
    No you are simply reiterating the governance argument. Everyone concurs that bridges should be safe - that's not a policy disagreement. What is a policy disagreement is whether or not the core portions of Obamacare are good policy regardless of the level of government at which they are implemented. It is the conservative position that it isn't, but that states have the right to implement that particular bad policy. Romney was in a weak position because he was forced to stand at odds with his party and base on whether or not Obamacare was good policy.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •