Page 86 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 972

Thread: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

  1. #851
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,244

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Yes, he did. Here's one of them - in 1982. Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Also in California! Reagan's Forgotten Tax Record | Stan Collender's Capital Gains and Games



    Bottom line is Reagan preferred lower taxes and lower spending, but wasn't a fiscal idiot and so raised taxes in the face of budget deficits.
    I will contend that the differing opinion seems to me on tax rates vs. tax breaks.

    In general, tax rates were reduced under Reagan, but tax breaks were also reduced!

  2. #852
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Go on.....
    The recession required people to exercise self-control which depleted brain glucose levels causing people to feel weak. Being exposed to and empathizing with such people, caused other people's brains to become depleted of glucose as well even if they were not significantly impacted by the recession. As this epidemic of less sugary brains spread like a cancer, people mentally rebelled, and now obsess about the top 1% to exorcise their imagined level of oppression. As a result, we need to double turtledude's taxes so that the masses feel that have won a victory, glucose levels will rise in the collective brains, and we can get back to the business of depleting the world's resources at a faster rate to satisfy our insatiable need to keep up with the Kardashians....or something like that. I have been painting with Killz oil paint this afternoon so I may be a little fumey.

  3. #853
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    The recession required people to exercise self-control which depleted brain glucose levels causing people to feel weak. Being exposed to and empathizing with such people, caused other people's brains to become depleted of glucose as well even if they were not significantly impacted by the recession. As this epidemic of less sugary brains spread like a cancer, people mentally rebelled, and now obsess about the top 1% to exorcise their imagined level of oppression. As a result, we need to double turtledude's taxes so that the masses feel that have won a victory, glucose levels will rise in the collective brains, and we can get back to the business of depleting the world's resources at a faster rate to satisfy our insatiable need to keep up with the Kardashians....or something like that. I have been painting with Killz oil paint this afternoon so I may be a little fumey.
    What the hell was that...."fumey"? I'd say....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #854
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What the hell was that...."fumey"? I'd say....
    And yet true. Let me put it to you another way: People feel victimized and they are pissed and will remain pissed until somebody gets their ass whipped.

    Blacks--Doesn't matter if the cop is justified or not. The community feels it is victimized by the police and they will not be satisfied until some cops go into the volcano--virgins or not.

    Workers who lost their job: They feel victimized by their employers. They put in their day's work and got screwed.

    Workers who did not lose their job: They see companies making record profits while they are falling further and further behind.

    Consumers: People are afraid to take long-term commitments like houses after what the housing market went through. All those people who had to in some way change their lifestyle in a negative way because of the recession are pissed at corporations, banks, the government for propping up corporations and banks while they suffer.

    Either way, until people have their vengeance in some form, something the government can only do on their behalf, good luck getting them spending on other than necessities. They are used to it after 6 years.

    The thing about the brain glucose levels, however, is nonetheless real.

  5. #855
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    And yet true. Let me put it to you another way: People feel victimized and they are pissed and will remain pissed until somebody gets their ass whipped.

    Blacks--Doesn't matter if the cop is justified or not. The community feels it is victimized by the police and they will not be satisfied until some cops go into the volcano--virgins or not.

    Workers who lost their job: They feel victimized by their employers. They put in their day's work and got screwed.

    Workers who did not lose their job: They see companies making record profits while they are falling further and further behind.

    Consumers: People are afraid to take long-term commitments like houses after what the housing market went through. All those people who had to in some way change their lifestyle in a negative way because of the recession are pissed at corporations, banks, the government for propping up corporations and banks while they suffer.

    Either way, until people have their vengeance in some form, something the government can only do on their behalf, good luck getting them spending on other than necessities. They are used to it after 6 years.

    The thing about the brain glucose levels, however, is nonetheless real.
    Victimization is how the progressive views the world...Thanks for laying that out.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #856
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Victimization is how the progressive views the world...Thanks for laying that out.
    It isn't so much one of them damn "progressive views" as it is scientific research into brain chemistry. I could provide you links, but you finding it yourself will exorcise the aggression you feel so that you will be in a more open mind when you find it yourself and discover that I am right and you are ignorant of that which your bias prevents you from learning to expand your world view. I read a lot when the bread is baking. The psychology of consumer spending and the lack thereof are relevant to my enterprises.

    P.S.- You are welcome.

  7. #857
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,244

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    It isn't so much one of them damn "progressive views" as it is scientific research into brain chemistry. I could provide you links, but you finding it yourself will exorcise the aggression you feel so that you will be in a more open mind when you find it yourself and discover that I am right and you are ignorant of that which your bias prevents you from learning to expand your world view. I read a lot when the bread is baking. The psychology of consumer spending and the lack thereof are relevant to my enterprises.

    P.S.- You are welcome.
    Are you saying victimization is not correct?

    Please explain.

  8. #858
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    It isn't so much one of them damn "progressive views" as it is scientific research into brain chemistry. I could provide you links, but you finding it yourself will exorcise the aggression you feel so that you will be in a more open mind when you find it yourself and discover that I am right and you are ignorant of that which your bias prevents you from learning to expand your world view. I read a lot when the bread is baking. The psychology of consumer spending and the lack thereof are relevant to my enterprises.

    P.S.- You are welcome.
    Haha....Classic....I didn't say "Damn" anything, nor have I called you any names at all, but you felt the need to call me "ignorant", then claim I'm the aggressive one? Typical.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #859
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Yes, he did. Here's one of them - in 1982. Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Also in California! Reagan's Forgotten Tax Record | Stan Collender's Capital Gains and Games



    Bottom line is Reagan preferred lower taxes and lower spending, but wasn't a fiscal idiot and so raised taxes in the face of budget deficits.
    What you continue to show is you have no idea what you are talking about as Reagan did NOT raise Federal Income Taxes, he cut loopholes and that isn't raising taxes, he cut the rates and every taxpayer got a tax cut, What he did in California is irrelevant to me as I was living in Indiana at the time.

  10. #860
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,770

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What you continue to show is you have no idea what you are talking about as Reagan did NOT raise Federal Income Taxes, he cut loopholes and that isn't raising taxes, he cut the rates and every taxpayer got a tax cut, What he did in California is irrelevant to me as I was living in Indiana at the time.
    OK, so if the law changes and taxpayers have to pay $160 billion more in federal income taxes the next year, that is NOT a tax increase!

    That's the inflation adjusted estimate of TEFRA - a tax increase of about 1% of GDP per year.

Page 86 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •