Page 59 of 98 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 972

Thread: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

  1. #581
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Honestly, these are questions that I don't have answers to. Maybe someone smarter than me can come up with solid, viable answers.


    All I know is, money in politics has not served the american public, and it continues to get worse.
    We've got the system we've got because it's the best that the smartest people in this country have been able to come up with. Things like "publicly funded campaigns" sound good until you try to figure out some way to implement such a system without causing bigger problems than we've already got and/or trampling the constitution. Lots of things sound good at first blush and that's why it's so easy for people to solve all the problems of the world in casual conversation.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #582
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    And you would get the same result.



    As for governments creating jobs.....it's the CONSERVATIVE meme that it's not the role of government to create jobs...so when a CONSERVATIVES walks in applauding government for creating jobs....I laugh a little.
    No, sorry, it is the conservative position that govt. creates the policies that affect economic activity and that is what creates jobs. It is just like liberals claim that I have stated that tax cuts create jobs, no, tax cuts create the economic activity that creates jobs. Taxes and Regulations hurt private sector economic activity and always will

  3. #583
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No, sorry, it is the conservative position that govt. creates the policies that affect economic activity and that is what creates jobs. It is just like liberals claim that I have stated that tax cuts create jobs, no, tax cuts create the economic activity that creates jobs. Taxes and Regulations hurt private sector economic activity and always will
    How's that hairsplitting knife of yours doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #584
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    How's that hairsplitting knife of yours doing?
    What hair splitting knife, that has been my position since I was old enough to understand that liberalism was a farce and was destroying this country with all that spending in the name of compassion and before I understood the components of GDP. Didn't take me long to buy into Reaganomics because I lived them, economic activity increases when people have more money to spend and that happens when they get to keep more of what they earn. Reagan took office with 99 million Americans working and 116 million Americans working when he left. That is what grew FIT revenue 60% including 3 years of FIT tax cuts.

  5. #585
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,770

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    It was actually the Democrats and more specifically the GSEs that created and or guaranteed all those toxic securities.
    No, it was banks and bankers who created them, and spent $billions buying the regulations that allowed them to do so. And "democrats" - LOL. Republicans were just along for the ride. Never had any power to influence anything! Of course republicans get credit for the growth and the jobs, but not the bubble that created the growth and jobs.

    And you should remember why it was done in the first place. It was massive and unprecedented Government intervention for the purpose of mandating " equality " and " fairness "

    It was fundamentally redistribution and boy did it backfire.

    All Progressive redistributive initiatives backfire.
    Redistribution from homeowners to lenders and other financial institutions making record profits, paying our record bonuses, under regulations they spent decades shaping with $billions spent lobbying and campaigning. But it was all the fault of someone else.....

    Sheesh, it should be obvious the "equity and fairness" stuff is just the bones thrown to the proles as a small price for what the financial behemoths wanted. Like the cost of tipping the valet at a five star resort.
    Last edited by JasperL; 01-21-15 at 04:32 PM.

  6. #586
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,770

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    We've got the system we've got because it's the best that the smartest people in this country have been able to come up with. Things like "publicly funded campaigns" sound good until you try to figure out some way to implement such a system without causing bigger problems than we've already got and/or trampling the constitution. Lots of things sound good at first blush and that's why it's so easy for people to solve all the problems of the world in casual conversation.
    We all recognize that we're not solving the problems of the world. But I really see no alternative to somehow LIMITING the influence of money in elections. And constitutional issues aren't a barrier really - we've amended it many times and can do so again.

  7. #587
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with any of this.

    How ever, none of what you said in any way refutes the fact that only so much wealth can be created within a given span of time.
    FALSE! This is patently and demonstrably false. Creation is ALWAYS an available option so wealth creation is always available.

    And that fact debunks the concept people refer to when they quip "economics isn't zero sum".
    It isn't a fact and so your argument falls apart from there.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  8. #588
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I think most of us can agree with that one.

    But, the devil is in the details. How do you reduce the power of government when the power of wealth wants government to continue to increase? It's like tilting at windmills.
    Well, I think a solid starting point is convincing the public that the problem is not solved by increasing the power of government, on the dubious notion that you somehow are not additionally increasing the power of interest groups when you do so.

  9. #589
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Redistribution from homeowners to lenders and other financial institutions making record profits,...
    Hi Jasper, could you please explain what you mean by this? Are you talking about the mortgage payment that homeowners make to the lenders?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #590
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Indirectly, we ALL use those services. Yeah, your neighbor uses those roads more than you. To get to his job. Making something, or providing a service. Which gets him money, which he then puts back into the market, which eventually finds it's way to you.

    Same with social services. No, I don't use them. I'm 33. Don't need them. But I accept that I enjoy the society I live in, and that social services is one of the tools my government employes to preserve that society, to keep it from becoming something else, something I might enjoy FAR less.
    Exactly. It's a construct that we, as a society, have designed. It is our best stab at an effective means of support, infrastructure, and responsibility.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

Page 59 of 98 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •