Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 972

Thread: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

  1. #411
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    By what rate do you feel the 1% are growing?
    1%, 10%, what's the difference? Why isn't that a good thing?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #412
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    yet people can still buy houses, cars, TV, they still get their pay checks etc ...
    why? because we can simply add more to the pie as we need to as the economy grows.

    Nothing defines "american exceptionalism" better than prolonged economic stagnation for 95%

  3. #413
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    The Bush tax cuts- some say the rich benefited - some say middle class did- who received what?
    I used a family of 4 - differing incomes.
    I thought that would make it easier.


    From your link:

    "4. Increased take-home pay for middle-class workers: While much of the perks from the Bush tax cuts flowed to the top, they also helped middle-class earners, who kept more of their earnings because of reduced tax rates. This was especially important in the last decade, since median wages stagnated, and it may be one reason why Democrats so readily pushed to extend most of the Bush tax cuts. This chart is based on data from the Congressional Budget Office. The red line shows the pre-tax average income of the middle quintile of income earners. As you can see, it is pretty flat in the 2000s. (Median income -- as opposed to average -- actually declined.) The blue line shows, however, that taxes were taking less money out of middle-class paychecks after the Bush tax cuts were put in place, offsetting some of the slow wage growth."


    I am not sure what you are trying to point out here or what you are trying to argue.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #414
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Um, that is a percent of homes owned overall, not a percent of homes owned by "the middle class".

    You lost track of your own argument.

    edit:
    The least affordable U.S. markets, and the percentage of homes for sale in each where median-income Americans can afford to buy, are:
    San Francisco, 14 percent
    Los Angeles, 23 percent
    Orange County, Calif., 24 percent
    New York/New Jersey Metro, 25 percent
    San Diego, 28 percent
    Ventura County, Calif., 29 percent
    San Jose, Calif., 34 percent
    Fairfield County, Conn., 37 percent
    Honolulu, 39 percent
    Oakland, Calif., 40 percent.
    In addition, some popular metro areas had particularly steep drops in affordability in the past year. In Denver, the share of affordable homes slid to 50 percent from 67 percent. The figure fell to 29 percent from 43 percent in Ventura County, and to 48 percent from 62 percent in San Antonio.

    Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com Study: It's Getting Harder for Middle Class to Afford Buying a Home



    Sorry, I don't consider newsmax a source.


    But stop and think about what you posted.


    we know NJ has a 68% home ownership rate.


    How many are middle class in NJ vs how many are upper class?


    Follow the logic and hopefully you will see where your point doesnt make much sense.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #415
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Well poor people pay taxes and consume goods. So one way or another can you tell me how the money you received was in some way NOT from a poor person.
    Nope.
    Thank you



    Poor people pay very little in taxes and reap the rewards of a welfare state.


    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #416
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryOfromCA View Post
    Bush and Obama are like night and day, polar opposites. You can't compare them on any level


    GITMO
    Bailouts
    "SURGES"
    Obama's 2010 tax bill was identical to Bush's
    Drones
    etc etc.

    It's the same ruling class.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #417
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,273

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    It's not relevant to the discussion, but I'm doing fine and haven't complained at all about my financial situation.

    Why? Many reasons, but among them is we've offshored jobs that produce actual wealth - making things - and substituted those jobs with crap low value added service jobs. We call that 'free trade' to pit U.S. workers and plants against third world locations that don't meet even minimal environmental or working condition standards, then allow those goods to be imported here tariff free. The result is predictable.

    For the record, asking how a rich person prevented me from joining them misses the point. Not everyone can be above average, and what we're talking about is the economy as a whole, not my place in it. And the fact is the rules of the game established by 'the rich' guaranteed that U.S. workers, as a group, lost. U.S. workers cannot compete with plants that allow pollution in China so thick you can't see a quarter mile on 'clear' days. So they shut down here, threw millions of hard workers out of a good job making things of real value, replaced by stocking shelves in Walmart.
    It is totally relevant since many here put faceless names to graphs and charts. You are doing well, I am doing well and both of us are on those graphs thus no rich person hurt us at all so why is it so important to raise taxes on them other than to punish them for their successes? You think it is the role of the govt. to create equal outcome?

  8. #418
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbler View Post
    Don't worry about it. The new Republican majorities in both houses have YOUR best interests in mind.



    hmmmm.


    $Alan Grayson's net worth: 16.69 million

    Grayson is the 21st wealthiest member of Congress, according to Roll Call, with a net worth of $16.69 million. He reportedly has a serious knack for stocks, which was what ultimately brought down Chapman's scheme.Dec 9, 2013

    BTW, his "income" comes from capital gains.


    If this little bitch was serious, why hasn't he written a check to the treasury?


    ruling class hypocrite.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #419
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,989
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    It is an important point. The top 1% that will own "half the wealth", will they own half the land? Will they own half the water? As I said before, there is only one Mona Lisa so what does it matter if the price for it is $1 as opposed to $100 as opposed to $1,000,000,000.00? Isn't the "wealth" that the Walton heirs own contingent on how much money the next person is willing to buy it for? Surely you do not think that the property and cash registers and warehouses full of pickles is why their "wealth" is what it is?
    If they own something the rest of us....ALL of us....need, then yeah, a select few owning most or all of it DOES matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  10. #420
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,273

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Therein lies your problem--you are too quick to try to personalize discussions when anecdotal nonsense is just nonsense in relation to the subject at hand. I don't see you as not smart--I see you as stubborn when there is no reason for stubbornness. Regardless,. congratulations on having done quite well for yourself. Other people, however, may have other priorities and motives than what you assume they do or should have.
    No, what I am trying to do is get you to think. There is nothing but the individual responsible for not achieving that upper class. It isn't nonsense at all because I am part of those graphs and part of the history of workers. Now tell me why you want to punish rich people for their success? Wealth is an individual thing and I know a lot of people who meet the definition of middle class that are very wealthy in so many things. There isn't a rich person out there that has any affect on my life whatsoever

Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •