Page 38 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 972

Thread: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

  1. #371
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I love economically unsuccessful people pretending they know more about economic success than us successful people
    I did not realize that inheritance is a basis for claims of success.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #372
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,773

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Since when is it U.S. policy to encourage that? It's part of the point - "free trade" serves the interests of the global behemoths quite well, and we've expanded it over the years, to the obvious detriment of the average American. So why is "free trade" our policy choice when it causes average workers of all kinds of IQ and education decades of stagnating income? It's a change in the rules that guarantee U.S. workers lose.

    And nice of you to insult U.S. workers. You think they're all stupid? Can't you at least try to hide your contempt a little bit?
    YOu want to try to play this stupid game of saying I was referring to all US workers? not going to work with me.

    but the fact is-being strong but uneducated isn't going to get you big bucks any more. I know-3 miles from where I grew up was the big motor works in Norwood Ohio. lots of people who didn't even graduate from HS got good jobs there and the place was full of nice well cared for middle class homes. Three generations of people in that area worked at the big GM assembly plant there. But the union wages, along with a costly strike and physical limitations made the place unprofitable and it was shut down. contrary to the left, companies or factories exist to make the owners money, not to provide jobs. labor is merely a commodity and when that commodity can be obtained for less cost, any manager who doesn't take advantage of that is incompetent

    Norwood Assembly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    so tell me, how do you change the fact that workers overseas will do the same quality of labor for less cost?



  3. #373
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,773

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I did not realize that inheritance is a basis for claims of success.
    its easy for the failures to justify others not failing by pretending its inheritance

    the country is littered with athletes, entertainers and heirs who got big bucks as 20-30 year olds and are bankrupt at 40

    ever heard of MC Hammer? Aaron Pryor?



  4. #374
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    its easy for the failures to justify others not failing by pretending its inheritance

    the country is littered with athletes, entertainers and heirs who got big bucks as 20-30 year olds and are bankrupt at 40

    ever heard of MC Hammer? Aaron Pryor?

    holy mental pretzelfark.
    wow.

  5. #375
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,853

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    YOu want to try to play this stupid game of saying I was referring to all US workers? not going to work with me.
    You were the one who used an example of a guy with an 85 IQ and an 8th grade education, not me.

    but the fact is-being strong but uneducated isn't going to get you big bucks any more. I know-3 miles from where I grew up was the big motor works in Norwood Ohio. lots of people who didn't even graduate from HS got good jobs there and the place was full of nice well cared for middle class homes. Three generations of people in that area worked at the big GM assembly plant there. But the union wages, along with a costly strike and physical limitations made the place unprofitable and it was shut down. contrary to the left, companies or factories exist to make the owners money, not to provide jobs. labor is merely a commodity and when that commodity can be obtained for less cost, any manager who doesn't take advantage of that is incompetent
    Of course, but it's a very deliberate policy choice to pit a U.S. worker in a U.S. plant with minimal safety and environmental rules against a plant in China that is allowed to dump waste untreated into the nearest waterway, and to use electricity fired by coal plants that cause the pollution you see in any picture of modern day China. That is our country setting the rules of the game.

    Obviously, it's the job of companies to use the rules to their advantage. But there is no inherent requirement that we set the rules so U.S. manufacturing will lose. For 200 years, we had a policy of rigging the rules in favor of our citizens. Seems reasonable to me! Our job as a country isn't to maximize ROI for GE

    so tell me, how do you change the fact that workers overseas will do the same quality of labor for less cost?
    That horse has left the barn, but at this point I'm for subsidies of U.S. manufacturing, tax breaks, and perhaps more. Not because I think that's how it should be done, but when we "compete" with subsidized production overseas, we either lose or match their subsidies - seems to me. I'd rather work it the other way with the tariffs we thought were normal for 200 years, but there seems little likelihood of that in this environment. Saying the word is almost heresy - brands one a kook.

    But what I don't quite understand is we have a global economy that predictably caused decades of income stagnation for the vast majority of U.S. workers, and has GLOBALLY resulted in an incredible concentration of wealth in the hands of a very, very, very few. It's in the data and the causes are clear enough. But you're insulting the predictable losers of that rigged game by calling them "parasites" and then whining when those who were guaranteed to lose and DID, have the temerity to fight for some small measure of their losses to be restored.

  6. #376
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,773

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    You were the one who used an example of a guy with an 85 IQ and an 8th grade education, not me.



    Of course, but it's a very deliberate policy choice to pit a U.S. worker in a U.S. plant with minimal safety and environmental rules against a plant in China that is allowed to dump waste untreated into the nearest waterway, and to use electricity fired by coal plants that cause the pollution you see in any picture of modern day China. That is our country setting the rules of the game.

    Obviously, it's the job of companies to use the rules to their advantage. But there is no inherent requirement that we set the rules so U.S. manufacturing will lose. For 200 years, we had a policy of rigging the rules in favor of our citizens. Seems reasonable to me! Our job as a country isn't to maximize ROI for GE



    That horse has left the barn, but at this point I'm for subsidies of U.S. manufacturing, tax breaks, and perhaps more. Not because I think that's how it should be done, but when we "compete" with subsidized production overseas, we either lose or match their subsidies - seems to me. I'd rather work it the other way with the tariffs we thought were normal for 200 years, but there seems little likelihood of that in this environment. Saying the word is almost heresy - brands one a kook.

    But what I don't quite understand is we have a global economy that predictably caused decades of income stagnation for the vast majority of U.S. workers, and has GLOBALLY resulted in an incredible concentration of wealth in the hands of a very, very, very few. It's in the data and the causes are clear enough. But you're insulting the predictable losers of that rigged game by calling them "parasites" and then whining when those who were guaranteed to lose and DID, have the temerity to fight for some small measure of their losses to be restored.
    you can whine all you want but wages are buying the commodity of labor. why pay more when you don't have to or you aren't getting any better quality/ with more an more people, the supply of labor has increased meaning the COST should go down



  7. #377
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    its easy for the failures to justify others not failing by pretending its inheritance

    the country is littered with athletes, entertainers and heirs who got big bucks as 20-30 year olds and are bankrupt at 40

    ever heard of MC Hammer? Aaron Pryor?
    I understand, you need a distraction away from your personal anecdotes now.

    Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #378
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    its easy for the failures to justify others not failing by pretending its inheritance

    the country is littered with athletes, entertainers and heirs who got big bucks as 20-30 year olds and are bankrupt at 40

    ever heard of MC Hammer? Aaron Pryor?
    Why yes. That would be the same MCHammer who got slapped with the backtax bill of the tune of about $1.5M this past year. Probably welfare check overpayments

  9. #379
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,773

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I understand, you need a distraction away from your personal anecdotes now.

    Cheers.
    I get it-you started with personal comments and don't like it when your argument is shown to be moronic



  10. #380
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,773

    Re: The 1% will own more than the 99% by 2016, report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Why yes. That would be the same MCHammer who got slapped with the backtax bill of the tune of about $1.5M this past year. Probably welfare check overpayments
    yeah, the guy who made an ad lampooning his bankruptcy



Page 38 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •