Page 90 of 95 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast
Results 891 to 900 of 947

Thread: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

  1. #891
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Then perhaps you should spend your time defending Obama when republicans are in here attacking him for the economy?
    I am waiting for an apology from you blaming Bush for the 2009 budget and deficit that was signed by Obama as well as recognition of the trillion dollar deficits in 2010-2011-2012 or do you want to blame those on Bush as well? Do liberals ever admit when they are wrong?

  2. #892
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, PoweRob.

    Our debt of $18.2 trillion is what's going to do us in, not the deficit. While it is commendable that the deficit is being reduced, that's only a measure of trade between nations. and we're buying less. We're accumulating the debt all by ourselves, and we now owe more money to more people than any other nation in history. It might already be too late to cut spending, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try to reduce it, since we will have to pay it back, one way or another, and that means big problems coming in our future standard of living.
    A macro economy isn't about how much money there is but rather how much money is moving within it. As usual we tend to grow ourselves out of economic distress. If you cut spending you cut that economic ic flow. Where you and I could agree on is where that money should flow more and where that money should flow less in various areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #893
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I am waiting for an apology from you blaming Bush for the 2009 budget and deficit that was signed by Obama as well as recognition of the trillion dollar deficits in 2010-2011-2012 or do you want to blame those on Bush as well? Do liberals ever admit when they are wrong?
    I'm waiting for your apology for blaming Bush's 2009 budget on Obama. Also waiting to see your tirade on the Cato institutes article about that. Where oh where will you get your talking points from as your right wing think tanks debunk you I wonder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #894
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I'm waiting for your apology for blaming Bush's 2009 budget on Obama. Also waiting to see your tirade on the Cato institutes article about that. Where oh where will you get your talking points from as your right wing think tanks debunk you I wonder?
    How does one blame Bush for a budget that never passed or was signed? Does it matter what the Cato Institute says about anything or what the Treasury data shows? Apparently it doesn't matter that Obama signed the 2009 budget and most of the appropriation bills because your mind is set on blaming Bush. It also appears that CBO PROJECTIONS matter more than actual results in your world.

    Bush's budget that wasn't approved showed a deficit of less than 500 billion so apparently the entire spending of the U.S. govt. occurred from October 1, 2008 to January 21, 2009 and none of the revenue arrived. That is liberal logic and why you have no credibility.

    By the way, Do you know what a continuing resolution is? Figure it out and get back to us along with your apology

  5. #895
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    As usual you still don't get it, INCOME TAXES WERE CUT FOR ALL AMERICAN INCOME EARNERS and FEDERAL INCOME TAX REVENUE increased 60%. How did that happen? Do you understand that none of the taxes you mentioned had anything to do with individual income taxes?

    Guess you better tell that to the U.S. Treasury which is the bank account of the United States because INCOME TAX REVENUE grew 60% during the Reagan term

    I will never understand people like you. Is it ignorance or what that causes you to ignore the actual data and facts?
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure that CAPITAL GAINS tax receipts are included in INCOME TAX REVENUE. You have no case to make unless you can prove that the increase in revenue is a one-to-one match, or pretty darn close to it, with an increase in earnings. Fact is that the increase in revenue WAS the result of in an increase in certain tax rates, elimination of deductions, and an expansion of what income is taxable.
    Last edited by Napoleon; 02-02-15 at 08:36 PM.

  6. #896
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure that CAPITAL GAINS tax receipts are included in INCOME TAX REVENUE. You have no case to make unless you can prove that the increase in revenue is a one-to-one match, or pretty darn close to it, with an increase in earnings. Fact is that the increase in revenue WAS the result of in an increase in certain tax rates, elimination of deductions, and an expansion of what income is taxable.
    No, sorry, you have no idea what you are talking about nor do you understand income tax cuts


    Income Taxes
    Corporate Taxes
    Total Tax Revenue

    Employment and general retirement
    Unemployment insurance
    Other retirement


    Excise taxes

    Other:
    Estate and gift taxes
    Customs duties
    Miscellaneous receipts
    Total other

    Total Revenue


    National defense
    International affairs
    General science, space, and technology
    Energy
    Natural resources and environment
    Agriculture
    Commerce and housing credit
    Transportation
    Community and regional development
    Education, training, employment and social services
    Health
    Medicare
    Income security
    Social security
    Veterans benefits and services
    Administration of justice
    General Government
    Net interest
    Undistributed offsetting receipts

    Total outlays
    As for the revenue growth it was all Income tax revenue and it was due to economic activity resulting from people having more spendable income. No other taxes are included in income tax revenue so your argument is bogus at best. There is a reason Reagan won 49 states in 1984 and over 63% of the vote. Suggest you do better research and stop giving the Federal Govt. the benefit out doubt and allowing them to take advantage of you

  7. #897
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    As for the revenue growth it was all Income tax revenue and it was due to economic activity resulting from people having more spendable income.
    You're going to have to prove that by demonstrating that there was an increase in earnings in that period. Was the median wage up, down, or stagnant?

  8. #898
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    You're going to have to prove that by demonstrating that there was an increase in earnings in that period. Was the median wage up, down, or stagnant?
    Reagan took over an economy that was in a double dip recession, there were 99 million working Americans at the time, Reagan's stimulus included ZERO spending and a tax cut three years in a row. by the end of his first term 9 million jobs were created, that is 9 million new taxpayers and by the end of his second term 17 million new taxpayers were created. Now prove to me those 17 million jobs would have been created without the Reagan stimulus. Income tax revenue up 62%, GDP Growth doubled, and a budget of less than a trillion dollars until his last two years in office.

  9. #899
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Reagan took over an economy that was in a double dip recession, there were 99 million working Americans at the time, Reagan's stimulus included ZERO spending and a tax cut three years in a row. by the end of his first term 9 million jobs were created, that is 9 million new taxpayers and by the end of his second term 17 million new taxpayers were created. Now prove to me those 17 million jobs would have been created without the Reagan stimulus. Income tax revenue up 62%, GDP Growth doubled, and a budget of less than a trillion dollars until his last two years in office.
    That isn't what I asked you and I will note, again, that those cuts were accompanied by hikes, elimination of deductions, and an expansion of how taxable income is defined. Given those facts, it isn't enough to just to claim that the increase in revenue was the result of cuts. The proof is in the pudding or, in this case, employment and wage figures and they don't add up to what you're claiming.

  10. #900
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    That isn't what I asked you and I will note, again, that those cuts were accompanied by hikes, elimination of deductions, and an expansion of how taxable income is defined. Given those facts, it isn't enough to just to claim that the increase in revenue was the result of cuts. The proof is in the pudding or, in this case, employment and wage figures and they don't add up to what you're claiming.
    Results matter and results are something you don't seem to understand. How old were you during the Reagan term? Do you always believe what you are told by the left? There were no tax hikes, the tax laws were enforced, rates were cut, elimination of deductions returned the law to previous levels and apparently didn't hurt Reagan at all as indicated by the 1984 election results. Economic expansion occurred, jobs were created, America's standard in the world regained so yes, it was a liberal nightmare. Not sure what you are looking at but I prefer Treasury numbers, feel free to look them up. I lived it and worked it, the best years of my life.

Page 90 of 95 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •