Page 83 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 947

Thread: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

  1. #821
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    But yet you don't have an issue with the government paying for your care through the VA? I'm not dissing your choice, you earned your government paid for care, just making an observation.

    We don't have a state exchange, but the federal exchange offers a couple of dozen different plan choices, and virtually all of our local health care providers accept them, it's just a matter of chosing the policy which as the PPO which you prefer, just like any other insurance, or of course policies can still be purchased direct from the insurance company or through a broker. Nothing has really changed.
    As far as I know Scott, the Federal Exchange offers 4 levels of plan, and different companies offering these levels...That is not quite the same thing as "dozens of plans" now is it....Essentially, they are all offering the same 4 plans, just at nominally differing pricing....So, AFAIK Obamacare actually limited choice.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #822
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,686

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Perhaps he's a fan of the Sex Pistols.



  3. #823
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    As far as I know Scott, the Federal Exchange offers 4 levels of plan, and different companies offering these levels...That is not quite the same thing as "dozens of plans" now is it....Essentially, they are all offering the same 4 plans, just at nominally differing pricing....So, AFAIK Obamacare actually limited choice.
    It is dozens of plans, I know because I purchased one last year. There are two carriers for SC on the exchange, each company has multiple options at the gold, silver, and bronze level. Most states have more than two carriers though, and the states that opted to have their own exchanges tend to have many carriers.

    Last year I picked one of the several bronze level plans, the one that was HSA compliant, which was the least expensive.

    Obamacare limited no choices. We can still purchase off exchange policies, from companies like Blue Cross, and most of those are Obamacare compliant. There are also non-Obamacare compliant plans, which don't allow for the avoidance of the penalty, but they tend to be cheaper, and crappier.

    Back in Dec, I googled "insurance", and filled out a couple of forms for off-exchange markets. I had dozens of companies calling me trying to sell me insurance, every day, really got annoying. I talked to several, and each one had multiple options.

    Most of what we "hear" is based upon someone who never even bothered to look.
    Last edited by imagep; 01-23-15 at 11:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #824
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    It is dozens of plans, I know because I purchased one last year. There are two carriers for SC on the exchange, each company has multiple options at the gold, silver, and bronze level. Most states have more than two carriers though, and the states that opted to have their own exchanges tend to have many carriers.

    Last year I picked one of the several bronze level plans, the one that was HSA compliant, which was the least expensive.

    Obamacare limited no choices. We can still purchase off exchange policies, from companies like Blue Cross, and most of those are Obamacare compliant. There are also non-Obamacare compliant plans, which don't allow for the avoidance of the penalty, but they tend to be cheaper, and crappier.

    Back in Dec, I googled "insurance", and filled out a couple of forms for off-exchange markets. I had dozens of companies calling me trying to sell me insurance, every day, really got annoying. I talked to several, and each one had multiple options.

    Most of what we "hear" is based upon someone who never even bothered to look.
    Hey, Imagep, how you coming find those lies you claim I make and I certainly look forward to hearing about those cherrypicked data I post. It seems quite interesting to me that people like you and the liberals in this group claim that I lie, cherry pick data but never refute it with verifiable information other than your personal opinions. NIMBY is good at that as well.

  5. #825
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Hey, Imagep, how you coming find those lies you claim I make and I certainly look forward to hearing about those cherrypicked data I post. It seems quite interesting to me that people like you and the liberals in this group claim that I lie, cherry pick data but never refute it with verifiable information other than your personal opinions. NIMBY is good at that as well.
    I don't remember every saying that you "lie".

    But you do cherry pick the data which "proves" your point. As long as those particular facts are true, I can't directly refute them, other than to post similar cherry picked data which would lead one to believe that your overall point is incorrect. Likewise, that's all you can do to my cherry picked data. I do frequently post facts, but it just felt pointless, and I'm tired of doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  6. #826
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I don't remember every saying that you "lie".

    But you do cherry pick the data which "proves" your point. As long as those particular facts are true, I can't directly refute them, other than to post similar cherry picked data which would lead one to believe that your overall point is incorrect. Likewise, that's all you can do to my cherry picked data. I do frequently post facts, but it just felt pointless, and I'm tired of doing it.
    I have cherry picked nothing but instead offered official govt. data. What data have I cherrypicked? Tell me exactly what Obama has done that shows positive leadership for this country? What has he done that you agree with especially on the economic front?

  7. #827
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I have no clue, except to assume that he is pandering to the crowd that is worried about income disparity. But in all fairness, not only did he propose more capital gains tax revenue on the rich, he also proposed tax cuts for the middle class - Fox News accidently forgot to include that in their headlines.

    I suspect he is also looking for bargaining chips, to get whatever it is he really wants.
    It is truly bizarre. If the government gets more money it will just waste it as it always does. What we need is a way to cut down its revenue big time while eliminating its borrowing power.

  8. #828
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Apparently the anti-obama people think they can balance the budget, expand the military, and pay off the debt without raising taxes. Good luck with that. You have two years before you lose a chamber again.
    What? there hasn't been an attempt to balance a budget in my lifetime. But it can be done by spending less. The military doesn't need expansion. it needs less to do. There hasn't been a reduction in debt in my lifetime either. Give them more money and they just waste it. I hope we get back to gridlock in the congress next election. I'd hate to say both houses of congress and the white house from the same party. I think gridlock is our only temporary salvation from the government train wreck.

  9. #829
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    It is truly bizarre. If the government gets more money it will just waste it as it always does. What we need is a way to cut down its revenue big time while eliminating its borrowing power.
    If there was a connection between revenue and spending, then I would tend to agree with you. But there's not such a connection, as is evidenced by the existence of our deficit and debt.



    The meme "starve the beast" is the idea that if we cut taxation, we can force the government to spend less. Historically, it's never worked that way, we've just run a larger deficit. If we desire our government to spend less, then we should be meeting with our congress critters about spending less, not about running a larger deficit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  10. #830
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    03-17-15 @ 10:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    714

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    If there was a connection between revenue and spending, then I would tend to agree with you.. . . .
    The lower the spending, the less need for revenue.

    There is your connection.

Page 83 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •