Page 55 of 95 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 947

Thread: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

  1. #541
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,122

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why? you deserve what you can buy.
    Because no society will stand in the long-term if the "spoils" are not equitably (fairly) distributed. The tax rate cuts of the early 1980's, which dropped the highest marginal rate under 50% were at the root of Wealth Disparity. Its reasonable to seek some roll-back of that as a means of easing the wealth disparity issue.Wealth Disparity - Wealth vs marginal tax rates.jpg

  2. #542
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    taking money from the rich, through taxation, doesn't mean it's going to flow , as if my magic, into the hands of the middle class.
    the government has 2 ways to get money into the hands of the middle class... either take less in taxes, or pay direct payments.. .that's it.
    beings that middle class folks generally don't qualify for welfare, that leaves taking less in taxes.

    of course, you don't have ot do anything to the rich in order to decrease taxes on the middle class... that just obama's way of saying " I think you guys have too much money, we're not going to let you keep it".. it's a political move, not an economic move.

    if Obama was actually interested in stimulating middle class consumer spending, he'd call for a 100% federal tax holiday up to a certain threshhold of income...think we'll see that?.... hell no, because that makes economic sense and he isn't in this for economics, he's in it for politics.

    but then both lefties and righties will blow their wads in anger.. and hypocrisy.
    There is another way to get the money to the middle class... the government can fund projects that fix and upgrade our failing infrastructure. This will create thousands of middle class jobs and create new tax payers.


  3. #543
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,088

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    taking money from the rich, through taxation, doesn't mean it's going to flow , as if my magic, into the hands of the middle class.
    the government has 2 ways to get money into the hands of the middle class... either take less in taxes, or pay direct payments.. .that's it.
    beings that middle class folks generally don't qualify for welfare, that leaves taking less in taxes.

    of course, you don't have ot do anything to the rich in order to decrease taxes on the middle class... that just obama's way of saying " I think you guys have too much money, we're not going to let you keep it".. it's a political move, not an economic move.

    if Obama was actually interested in stimulating middle class consumer spending, he'd call for a 100% federal tax holiday up to a certain threshhold of income...think we'll see that?.... hell no, because that makes economic sense and he isn't in this for economics, he's in it for politics.

    but then both lefties and righties will blow their wads in anger.. and hypocrisy.
    Who needs a holiday? Just have it tax free up to just above standard of living wages perhaps to cover the poor then full flat tax it from that point on.

    Just spit-balling here though. I don't have any crunched numbers on it but the simplification of the tax code would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #544
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    There is another way to get the money to the middle class... the government can fund projects that fix and upgrade our failing infrastructure. This will create thousands of middle class jobs and create new tax payers.
    You are right, maybe we can use the left over shovels Obama generated with the Stimulus program. We know how well that program worked. By the way who do you think actually funds most roads and bridges in your state??

  5. #545
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    The conservative bubble is, as cheney put it, "deficits don't matter" but off course they DO matter when the GOP is out of the white house. You guys don't know how to run a government so you run on the concept of "government doesn't work" then they get in office and drive it in a ditch to prove themselves right. That IS your bubble and that IS the problem.
    well, you seemed to have stumbled on a very good point.. about the deficit being looked at differently depending on politics.

    does a deficit mean anything ,economically speaking, to the US govt?... it sure doesn't seem to affect spending, taxing, interests rates, or really anything else... so i'm leaning towards "nope".

    politically, i think it has great meaning....economically, not so much

  6. #546
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Who needs a holiday? Just have it tax free up to just above standard of living wages perhaps to cover the poor then full flat tax it from that point on.

    Just spit-balling here though. I don't have any crunched numbers on it but the simplification of the tax code would be awesome.
    Love proud liberals because they show why I could never be a liberal as I have much higher expectations than adding 7.6 trillion to the debt, having one million more people employed than 7 years ago when the recession began, having 7.5 million full time part time workers who want full time jobs, much of the GDP growth due to govt. spending, record numbers of discouraged workers during his term, higher premiums and still 30 million uninsured after Obamacare, 11.2% U-6 unemployment. Gruber sure nailed it in describing the liberal electorate and you appear to have very low expectations. Sorry I just don't see a lot to be proud of

  7. #547
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Who needs a holiday? Just have it tax free up to just above standard of living wages perhaps to cover the poor then full flat tax it from that point on.

    Just spit-balling here though. I don't have any crunched numbers on it but the simplification of the tax code would be awesome.
    I'm not opposed to such an idea... .i'd be even more on board the minute you say "scrap income taxes altogether" but that's not gonna happen in our lifetimes.

    very small transaction taxes would do the trick as far as letting people pretend we are fiscally responsible.... but those kind of taxes won't fit the bill for other considerations ( like affecting behaviors, or affecting income equality.. or whatever)

  8. #548
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,310

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Because no society will stand in the long-term if the "spoils" are not equitably (fairly) distributed. The tax rate cuts of the early 1980's, which dropped the highest marginal rate under 50% were at the root of Wealth Disparity. Its reasonable to seek some roll-back of that as a means of easing the wealth disparity issue.Wealth Disparity - Wealth vs marginal tax rates.jpg
    There's the rub.

    You Libs want to redistribute those " Spoils " to he Government, not to the Middle class.

    There's been far more wealth disparity in the last 6 years than there was in the 80s.

    When you elect a Progressive moron to run the economy into the Ground while he mandates increased cost on the Middle class that creates disparity.

    When the Rich can park their Capital in equities that are falsely inflated with the help of Keynesian monetary stimulus that creates disparity.

    When you increase taxes under the pretense of " equity " that creates disparity. The Rich simply take their " spoils " somewhere else.

    France ? Anyone ?

    You think you Libs would have learned that by now, but no ones ever accused the left wing of being the sharpest knifes in the drawer

  9. #549
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    There is another way to get the money to the middle class... the government can fund projects that fix and upgrade our failing infrastructure. This will create thousands of middle class jobs and create new tax payers.
    that depends on the project and other considerations.

    for example ,Keystone fits the bill as a project, but Obama is going to veto it...that's an easy project that's being paid for by someone else... and one that will bring municipalities a great deal of property tax revenues they can use on other projects and services... it comes with some jobs as well.

    but it's correct to say that projects can do some good... it doesn't look like Obama is committed to those kind of programs though.... he's more committed to fiddling with taxes.

  10. #550
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,310

    Re: Obama to call for new tax increases in State of the Union address

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    There is another way to get the money to the middle class... the government can fund projects that fix and upgrade our failing infrastructure. This will create thousands of middle class jobs and create new tax payers.
    Nonsense.

    Are you seriously telling me you would BELIEVE Obama if he promised more shovel ready jobs ?

    Again ?

    And besides, " Stimulus for infrastructure to increase aggregate demand " doesn't work.

    Its like you people swore off the existence of Japan all together. Just because they've tried every left wing platitude and narrative you people upchuck on this forum daily and have FAILED.

Page 55 of 95 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •