Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 130

Thread: George Soros funds Ferguson protests to the tune of $33M?? Is this for real?

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    10-03-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    10,734

    Re: George Soros funds Ferguson protests to the tune of $33M?? Is this for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Nonsense. Not when someone is being blamed for a specific incident, because of donations made three years prior to said incident. That's lunacy.
    If you fund a terrorist group, are you not able to be blamed when they do something? Yes or No?

    If no, why not?

  2. #112
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,919

    Re: George Soros funds Ferguson protests to the tune of $33M?? Is this for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanSpartan View Post
    If you fund a terrorist group, are you not able to be blamed when they do something? Yes or No?

    If no, why not?
    Well, for starters, funding a terrorist group is illegal, but that's neither here nor there.

    One can say someone is to blame for that organization's activities in general, but not specific incidents unless there is some evidence directly tying those donations to that incident, none of which exists here.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #113
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: George Soros funds Ferguson protests to the tune of $33M?? Is this for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    How do 2011 donations factor into Ferguson protests?
    Stick with the volunteer fire department analogy. It might help you get your head around it.

  4. #114
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,761

    Re: George Soros funds Ferguson protests to the tune of $33M?? Is this for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Forget the Koch brothers: Labor unions took advantage of easier campaign finance laws - Washington Times

    The findings from Center for Public Integrity study say your preconceived notions are not accurate.
    You're not seeing the forest for the trees here: what counts where money is concerned are results. Having said that, the last thirty years only shows us who's money has been more successful: that's the point. So, there are no preconceived notions, just facts.

    Now, here's an interesting article that shows US how right money is working: https://www.opensecrets.org/news/issues/guns/

    If lawmakers seem to tiptoe around gun issues, it's at least in part because the National Rifle Association and other gun rights groups are loaded for bear. Cash is their ammunition, and they have no shortage of it. Gun rights groups have given more than $30 million in individual, PAC and soft money contributions to federal candidates and party committees since 1989, with nearly $27 million -- or 87% -- of it going to Republicans. And in the 2010 and 2012 election cycles, they let loose another $41.2 million (at least) in outside spending, almost all of which has put Democrats in their crosshairs. The NRA has provided the lion's share of the funds, having contributed more than $21 million since '89 and further opening its coffers to make $25 million in outside expenditures.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  5. #115
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,953
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: George Soros funds Ferguson protests to the tune of $33M?? Is this for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    You're not seeing the forest for the trees here: what counts where money is concerned are results. Having said that, the last thirty years only shows us who's money has been more successful: that's the point. So, there are no preconceived notions, just facts.

    Now, here's an interesting article that shows US how right money is working: https://www.opensecrets.org/news/issues/guns/
    OK, so let's look at what that money has produced then, specifically to the overall trending of Democratic positions.

    "Don't ask, don't tell": This policy prevented the armed services from discriminating against homosexuals while simultaneously removing those who openly disclosed their sexual orientation. By most military accounts, it was a success. Democrats nonetheless passed a bill in 2010 granting the executive the power to repeal it, and in July of last year President Obama undid the Clinton compromise.

    The Defense of Marriage Act: Clinton signed it in 1996, acknowledging the states' traditional role in family law. Allowing respective states to determine whether or not to embrace same-sex unions diffused the issue for all but the most ardent of activists. However, last year Obama instructed the Justice Department to quit defending the law, and in a campaign switch, the president now publicly supports gay marriage.

    Welfare reform: Obama's Health and Human Services' waiver of the Clinton-era work requirements aimed at testing "alternative and innovative strategies," such as combining "learning and work ... or job search/readiness programs" is coming under fire from the Government Accountability Office. Its general counsel released an opinion saying that changes in the law should have been approved by Congress, not by the executive.

    Capital-gains taxes: When the capital-gains rate was cut from 28 percent to 20 percent in 1997, revenues doubled to more than $127 billion during Clinton's second term. Obama is demanding a staggering 59 percent increase in the rate. His preferred rate of 23.8 percent includes his new 3.8 percent Obamacare investment tax.

    Spending: Due to a Cold War peace dividend -- as well as a recalcitrant Congress -- spending as a share of GDP under Clinton fell to less than 19 percent, and debt flatlined. During his first term, Obama has racked up $5 trillion in new debt; spending is at 25 percent of GDP, and instead of laying claim to new savings in the budget, the president says, "After two wars that have cost us ... over a trillion dollars, it's time to do some nation-building right here at home."
    Democrats veer left; here is the evidence | Star Tribune

    So over all, a shift left. Where's the effect you claim of all the Republican money? Surely, you'd think that this would be moves to the more conservative positions, but it's not so.

    And yet, with even these moves from center to left, there are cries that Obama should have gone even further.

    Your assertion that conservatives, conservative money, and the Republicans steering the country ever further right just rings hollow, when considering these examples.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  6. #116
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,761

    Re: George Soros funds Ferguson protests to the tune of $33M?? Is this for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    OK, so let's look at what that money has produced then, specifically to the overall trending of Democratic positions.

    Democrats veer left; here is the evidence | Star Tribune

    So over all, a shift left. Where's the effect you claim of all the Republican money? Surely, you'd think that this would be moves to the more conservative positions, but it's not so.

    And yet, with even these moves from center to left, there are cries that Obama should have gone even further.

    Your assertion that conservatives, conservative money, and the Republicans steering the country ever further right just rings hollow, when considering these examples.
    Democrats will always veer left! They have since The Civil Rights Act. Again, look at the sate of nation to determine where the money is being put to use. Those things you names are socially constitutional issues which has always been the platform of the left. The right has always been in the pocket of business and trade interests and doesn't take Fellini to figure out what right-wing money is going where.

    You're just having trouble admitting it.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  7. #117
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: George Soros funds Ferguson protests to the tune of $33M?? Is this for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    How do 2011 donations factor into Ferguson protests?
    Follow the web... maaaaaan.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #118
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,953
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: George Soros funds Ferguson protests to the tune of $33M?? Is this for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    You're not seeing the forest for the trees here: what counts where money is concerned are results. Having said that, the last thirty years only shows us who's money has been more successful: that's the point. So, there are no preconceived notions, just facts.

    Now, here's an interesting article that shows US how right money is working: https://www.opensecrets.org/news/issues/guns/
    Picking a single data point on which to base a broad based claim. I thought that was the definition of cherry picking. Any over all citation to indicate that the left is so whoa fully short of funding as opposed to say more conservative groups?

    What about that ambiguous claim, well other than the one cherry picked article above, about where conservative groups are spending their money? Care to comment on that?
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  9. #119
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,761

    Re: George Soros funds Ferguson protests to the tune of $33M?? Is this for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Picking a single data point on which to base a broad based claim. I thought that was the definition of cherry picking. Any over all citation to indicate that the left is so whoa fully short of funding as opposed to say more conservative groups?

    What about that ambiguous claim, well other than the one cherry picked article above, about where conservative groups are spending their money? Care to comment on that?

    Now you're just being contrarian just to do it. The evidence of what I'm saying has been quite clear for decades now. And as long as the thieves face no consequences, they will continue to steal from us; that's the nature of greed, and quite frankly sociopathic behavior.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  10. #120
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: George Soros funds Ferguson protests to the tune of $33M?? Is this for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Now you're just being contrarian just to do it. The evidence of what I'm saying has been quite clear for decades now. And as long as the thieves face no consequences, they will continue to steal from us; that's the nature of greed, and quite frankly sociopathic behavior.
    Or so you've been told
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •