Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 358

Thread: Obama pushes broadband plan

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Okay, walk me through a point-by-point list of what happens between the government expanding broadband to the whole country to it failing. Explain it to me like I'm a child, but without the libertarian rhetoric.
    well, i'll come back this evening and continue.. i'll just leave you with ..... where did i say anything about "failing"?.. and what "failing" are you talking about?

    one other thing to consider... taking the Presidents example of Cedar park IA. .. or even chattanooga Tn...both are touted as cities that have municipal owned ISPs with super fast broadband access.... both have been set up for some time... both are said to have "spurred competition".
    why, then, haven't other telecoms firms even come close to matching the performance and pricing of these municipal ISPs?.. why are they head and shoulders above the rest of the industry?.. why is the industry utterly failing to compete if these things are meant to spurn competition?.. private firms aren't even trying to compete in these places.( sure, some offer lesser services, but they know they aren't competitive in pricing or performance)

    as I see it.. it's not about competition... it's not about offering a competitive alternative.... it's about offering something that cannot be competed with, and they are succeeding in offering such.
    as a consumer, i'm good with great performance at a cheap price.... but I'm not cool with being lied to about competition.... just tell me the truth and say " we're going to do away with competition by offering a product at a price that no private firm can possibly hope to compete with."

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    Why should a city not be able to setup it's own broadband? It is not forcing cities to create their own. It will add much needed competition to the telecomms industry.
    Its forcing people to not be able to tell their govts no.

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I know. In my adorably naive way, though, infrastructure isn't left-vs-right, freedom-vs-tyranny, Federal-vs-state, it's just...infrastructure. It's one of the most required and boring services that government is expected to maintain.
    Except it isnt, in the case of the federal govt. Their job is to protect states from invasion, and protect the freedom of individuals. Then the people can decide whether they want their city govt to be an ISP or not. Obama is taking away that freedom.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Ist broad band a public good?
    No, its a private service.

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Wrong. If you can see the sky, you have your choice of multiple ISPs that can provide BB.
    Even if you cant see the sky, cellular companies cover the entire nation. And they offer internet too. Most cities have at least 4 types of internet, multiple companies to purchase from, and there is nothing stopping someone who wants to run their own lines (except maybe govt saying no, whups).

  6. #46
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,930

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Here it comes, the first roadblock in the internet, setup by the federal govt. And a violation of states rights. The govt has no power to control personal communications, certainly not to tell cities that they cant make laws prohibiting govts from running their own ISPs. And Obama wants to make YOU pay more taxes for it.

    The result, much like with sewage, garbage, electricity, will be to drive private options out of business since govt can compete unfairly.



    Obama pushes broadband plan, critics see
    Have you lived in public power communities? When I was looking at living in Tacoma where the city owns the utilities they were 40% cheaper then where I am now where a private company does utilities.

    I'm in favor of public internet. the experience with public utilities shows they're usually cheaper for the consumer and can break even
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    This thread shows that conservative hate for Obama outweighs any benefit his proposals do the populace.
    Because theyre racist!

  8. #48
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Here it comes, the first roadblock in the internet, setup by the federal govt. And a violation of states rights. The govt has no power to control personal communications, certainly not to tell cities that they cant make laws prohibiting govts from running their own ISPs. And Obama wants to make YOU pay more taxes for it.

    The result, much like with sewage, garbage, electricity, will be to drive private options out of business since govt can compete unfairly.



    Obama pushes broadband plan, critics see
    He wants to eliminate arbitrary legal barriers to competition and you're attacking him on "big government" grounds.

    Astonishing.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,026

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    A step toward eventually running the internet in full - a la "single payer" - and instantaneously monitoring every keystroke, transaction, and communication that every American individual and business makes.

  10. #50
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,936

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    well, i'll come back this evening and continue.. i'll just leave you with ..... where did i say anything about "failing"?.. and what "failing" are you talking about?
    Whether it is effective or not is the only standard that should be considered. Everyone needs access to the internet like everyone needs access to roads, electricity and mail delivery. If government provides it, and it works, then it's successful. If government attempts to provide those things and in the execution of it fails, then it's not successful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    one other thing to consider... taking the Presidents example of Cedar park IA. .. or even chattanooga Tn...both are touted as cities that have municipal owned ISPs with super fast broadband access.... both have been set up for some time... both are said to have "spurred competition".
    why, then, haven't other telecoms firms even come close to matching the performance and pricing of these municipal ISPs?.. why are they head and shoulders above the rest of the industry?.. why is the industry utterly failing to compete if these things are meant to spurn competition?.. private firms aren't even trying to compete in these places.( sure, some offer lesser services, but they know they aren't competitive in pricing or performance)
    Why aren't other telecoms competing? I don't know, why aren't rival companies successfully competing with such giants as Google or Amazon? Maybe it's no more complex than that other businesses just aren't up to the task. Regardless, if current laws are resulting in municipalities not getting the broadband they need and the government is up to the task of getting it to them, then so be it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    as I see it.. it's not about competition... it's not about offering a competitive alternative.... it's about offering something that cannot be competed with, and they are succeeding in offering such.
    as a consumer, i'm good with great performance at a cheap price.... but I'm not cool with being lied to about competition.... just tell me the truth and say " we're going to do away with competition by offering a product at a price that no private firm can possibly hope to compete with."
    UPS and Fedex are superior alternatives to the USPS, so if private companies are interested in competing with the government, they'll find a way.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •