Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 358

Thread: Obama pushes broadband plan

  1. #291
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36,027

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Lobbying for legislation isn't the same as buying legislation. How can pretend you don't know that? Or do you really NOT know that? I suppose it's possible that you could be that clueless, but surely, it was just an act on your part, right?
    By the way, I'd just like to say that you are the first person in this thread who is critical of Obama's proposal that actually acknowledges that lobbying has taken place. Everyone else has ignored or skirted around that fact. So congratulations! Now, that doesn't take away from the fact that your attempting to differentiate between "buying" and "lobbying" is absolutely hilarious and strains the realms of credulity to its breaking point, but congratulations nonetheless.

    On another note, earlier today I asked for an example of a government in existence today that most closely approximates your ideals of how a government should be run. You complained about me wanting an example, pointing out that you hadn't actually done any research on the matter, and I countered quite correctly that your entire credibility was on the line. After all, if you haven't done any research, or reading, or watching of the news...or anything at all...what good is your opinion besides as just another product of one who's good for picking up and moving large large rocks from one location to another and not really much else? As there was no further response from you, I assumed you had gone off to actually research this very interesting point for yourself, so I held off. Yet here you are again and you have supplied no example of a country that most closely approximates your ideal. Do you have one or would you like some more time to carry out further research?

  2. #292
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    These comments like yours are just stupid. I stated:

    "Satellite broadband is extremely asynchronous and latency is very high. The only time its a good option is when there are simply no other options at all available."

    Do you honestly think from that I mean't satellite broadband is worse than dial-up??

    Perhaps the "broadband" in the statement would be indicative of me referring to other types of broadband access (DSL, Cable, Fiber, 4G/LTE).
    Sounds to me like you are saying, "no other options at all available. You said it. I didn't.

    .

  3. #293
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Lobbyists do the leg work. They work with legislators and communicate back to industry what's going on. Communication is a two-way street. You should try to learn something about this government of ours. You seem very interested in discussing political things, so knowing how our political system actually works would be helpful for you.
    I'm not disagreeing with the idea that communications by lobbyists are "2 ways", the point is the "main" way the communication goes.....and that "main" way is from industry TO govt, the govt is not paying the lobbyist to communicate to industry....it is in fact industry paying lobbyists to communicate the wants of industry.

    I can't believe again how little you have thought this through. This is so inane.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #294
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    By the way, I'd just like to say that you are the first person in this thread who is critical of Obama's proposal that actually acknowledges that lobbying has taken place. Everyone else has ignored or skirted around that fact. So congratulations! Now, that doesn't take away from the fact that your attempting to differentiate between "buying" and "lobbying" is absolutely hilarious and strains the realms of credulity to its breaking point, but congratulations nonetheless.
    Yeah, har har har. Lobbying = buying because little libbies say so. The fact that it's a stupid thing to say certainly isn't going to keep any lib from saying it and as many little mindless libs as hear it from repeating it because even though it's nonsense, it just sounds so heartwarming to the cockles of the hearts of the poor little lost souls suffering from pathological issues of class envy.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #295
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with the idea that communications by lobbyists are "2 ways", the point is the "main" way the communication goes.....and that "main" way is from industry TO govt, the govt is not paying the lobbyist to communicate to industry....it is in fact industry paying lobbyists to communicate the wants of industry.

    I can't believe again how little you have thought this through. This is so inane.
    I said the main VALUE is keeping industry apprised of all the crap congress has in store for them. I didn't say that most of their efforts in communication are from Washington back to industry. They work very hard to try to affect legislation for business in a positive way. What's absurd, however, is this idiotic meme that lobbyists are evil and that everything they do is for the sake of helping business screw the working class and that whatever they suggest to legislators becomes law because legislators are powerless to make up their own minds about anything - or that they're so beholden to huge campaign contributors that they just cave in as soon as a lobbyist from an industry that makes campaign contributions says "booh".

    Lobbyists are the bogey man for ignorant political hacks and, for some reason, it's mostly LIBERAL political hacks that are eaten up with this particular ignorance but I've seen some righties that wallow in the same ignorance as far as lobbyists go. They're a necessary part of making government work to everyone else.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #296
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,816

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Never? That's an odd thing to say. Absolute statements like yours are pretty silly and make a very transparent strawman. If you want to create a ridiculous position for me, it's better to make one that's not so transparent. Transparencies make poor strawmen.
    OK Money is SELDOM a factor for politicians. It sounds just as foolish. Money is everything if a politician wishes to keep his job. Can we agree on that?

  7. #297
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    OK Money is SELDOM a factor for politicians. It sounds just as foolish. Money is everything if a politician wishes to keep his job. Can we agree on that?
    Money is everything to you in order to eat and put a roof over your head. Does that mean that you do whatever it takes to get money whether it is legal or not and whether it is right or not? If you do, then that explains why you think everyone else must behave that way, too. If you don't then why do you assume you're the only one that wouldn't sell your soul to the highest contributor? I wouldn't, but maybe you would, huh?
    Last edited by Papa bull; 01-20-15 at 06:19 PM.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #298
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I said the main VALUE is keeping industry apprised of all the crap congress has in store for them. I didn't say that most of their efforts in communication are from Washington back to industry. They work very hard to try to affect legislation for business in a positive way.
    Re: positive for the business who pays them to do so......again 'ning DUH!

    What's absurd, however, is this idiotic meme that lobbyists are evil and that everything they do is for the sake of helping business screw the working class and that whatever they suggest to legislators becomes law because legislators are powerless to make up their own minds about anything - or that they're so beholden to huge campaign contributors that they just cave in as soon as a lobbyist from an industry that makes campaign contributions says "booh".
    What is idiotic is the constant pooh-poohing of the effect of lobbying by industry and the vastly greater influence it has over a vote by a single constituent. This denial is just so ludicrous!


    Lobbyists are the bogey man for ignorant political hacks and, for some reason, it's mostly LIBERAL political hacks that are eaten up with this particular ignorance but I've seen some righties that wallow in the same ignorance as far as lobbyists go. They're a necessary part of making government work to everyone else.
    "Govt work to everyone else"? WTF? You think the influence of lobbying, which is carried out far more by Big Business....is doing so for "everyone else"?

    Good grief.....why am I wasting so much time on such ignorant postings from you?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #299
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36,027

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Yeah, har har har. Lobbying = buying because little libbies say so. The fact that it's a stupid thing to say certainly isn't going to keep any lib from saying it and as many little mindless libs as hear it from repeating it because even though it's nonsense, it just sounds so heartwarming to the cockles of the hearts of the poor little lost souls suffering from pathological issues of class envy.
    Okay, so you have no idea what a political system that shares your ideals would even look like because you've done literally no research whatsoever, and you are completely unaware of what happens during the lobbying process.

    Right-o.

  10. #300
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,816

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Money is everything to you in order to eat and put a roof over your head. Does that mean that you do whatever it takes to get money whether it is legal or not and whether it is right or not? If you do, then that explains why you think everyone else must behave that way, too. If you don't then why do you assume you're the only one that wouldn't sell your soul to the highest contributor? I wouldn't, but maybe you would, huh?
    You are crazy if you think everyone has to make decisions for all of us based on what some contributor wants. It is unique to politics and dangerous by nature.

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •