Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 358

Thread: Obama pushes broadband plan

  1. #231
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    In many markets, particularly small towns, there is only one broadband provider. A second provider, even if its a publicly owned one, is competition.
    Is that what this does? I have my doubts. I do think we should make a for real high-speed internet infrastructure, but I imagine it will all be captured by corporate interests and that it will end no different than it is today.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #232
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    If a state or local government wants to supply broadband to it's citizens, the decision is being made at the level where it should be made, by the people on a state and local level. At this point, I don't see an issue and there's nothing wrong with Obama "looking into it". Now if he proposes something that actually does trample the rights of people or is an overstep of federal authority, we can just wait until there's something beyond speculation to flog mercilessly.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  3. #233
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    03-17-15 @ 10:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    714

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    Why should a city not be able to setup it's own broadband?. . . . .
    That's not governments' business!! Good grief, liberals want an all encompassing government that does everything from wipe their butts to tell them how big their sodas can be. What is wrong with you people.

  4. #234
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryOfromCA View Post
    That's not governments' business!! Good grief, liberals want an all encompassing government that does everything from wipe their butts to tell them how big their sodas can be. What is wrong with you people.
    So instead we should have an all-encompassing corporate monopoly that's so good at providing a superior service, it has to lobby the state legislature to prevent local governments from setting up their own isps. Either you think this, or you didn't bother to read the article.

  5. #235
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,699

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Since broad band is a monopoly in most markets what you are really saying is that Govt. should not prevent or stop monopolies. Again that is a primary job of Govt. No wonder you hate the Govt. you have no idea what its jobs are, and highways are certainly one of them superhighways included.
    None of which has anything to with what I said. Maybe you thought you were replying to someone else....
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  6. #236
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    If a state or local government wants to supply broadband to it's citizens, the decision is being made at the level where it should be made, by the people on a state and local level. At this point, I don't see an issue and there's nothing wrong with Obama "looking into it". Now if he proposes something that actually does trample the rights of people or is an overstep of federal authority, we can just wait until there's something beyond speculation to flog mercilessly.
    That is what he is proposing. A rule by the FCC that forbids states from making laws.

    President Obama gave the FCC his blessing this week to use its regulatory authority to pre-empt state laws prohibiting cities and towns from building broadband networks

  7. #237
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    That is what he is proposing. A rule by the FCC that forbids states from making laws.
    Well, that might be a problem, then. It depends on what the rules are. But if Obama proposes more rules that would further erode state's rights, he needs a good swift kick in the ass.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #238
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    So instead we should have an all-encompassing corporate monopoly that's so good at providing a superior service, it has to lobby the state legislature to prevent local governments from setting up their own isps. Either you think this, or you didn't bother to read the article.
    Why is it one or the other? Govt should neither be promoting or prohibiting citizens from pursuing whatever business venture they want. It is wrong for govt to compete with citizens in the market, and it is wrong for govt to block competition. Citizens making rules which prohibit govt from doing such things is natural and common.

  9. #239
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Well, that might be a problem, then. It depends on what the rules are. But if Obama proposes more rules that would further erode state's rights, he needs a good swift kick in the ass.
    The way it sounds, some cities petitioned the FCC to allow them to violate state law, which is rediculous. This belongs in a court, not an agency committee.

    The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will vote in February to decide whether municipalities can bypass state laws to provide their own internet service – a policy that President Barack Obama threw his weight behind earlier this week.
    FCC to vote on Obama?s call for government-run internet next month ? RT USA

  10. #240
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Obama pushes broadband plan

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Why is it one or the other? Govt should neither be promoting or prohibiting citizens from pursuing whatever business venture they want. It is wrong for govt to compete with citizens in the market, and it is wrong for govt to block competition. Citizens making rules which prohibit govt from doing such things is natural and common.
    That's what state government did: it blocked competition when internet providers lobbied state congress to prevent citizens from determining their own course so the isps could maintain a monopoly.

    You still don't know what your own thread is about, do you?
    Last edited by Cardinal; 01-19-15 at 01:23 PM.

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •