Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 103

Thread: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Oh, the humanity! Is there no end to intolerance? I'm still losing sleep over the fact this horrible country ("land of the free"--that's rich) banned the singing or playing of "Deutschland Uber Alles" when it occupied Germany after WWII. Since when should demonstrations of supremacy by fanatics not be tolerated--even praised--as an affirmation of how wonderful diversity is? I think Mr. B. Hussein Obama, to show his solidarity, should immediately pledge not to borrow one more cent from that bigoted government in Beijing.

  2. #72
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,898

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    I am never made the claim the Catholic Church backed or ever supported the IRA. However it is a fact that for a long time the Irish Republican Army were Christian extremists. Are you claiming this is not the case?
    Though Christian extremists do exist, and some have been Catholic, the IRA is a very bad example. Rather, the IRA were secular nationalists first, quasi socialists second, and religously Catholic a very, very distant third.

    IF you want to give a good example of Catholic extremists, cite the Falangist movement of Franco's Spain. But.... it is also fair to mention that the progressives in the Spanish Civil war also committed alot of atrocities.

  3. #73
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,150

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Did France ban the burqa a few years ago?
    France did ban the wearing of it in public but the law also applied to masks and any other sort of face covering. This Chinese law seems to only include burqas.

  4. #74
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    I'd lean towards yes in countries with large muslim populations. Not only is it essentially a disguise, it also has deeply misogynst roots.
    Last edited by a351; 01-15-15 at 09:03 PM.

  5. #75
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    China seems to assert its oppression at the cost of the religious one. Its just showing which form of oppression is boss in China. Switching oppressions would not do neither.

    What is required is growing from oppression and living with greater consciousness in freedom instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,217

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city - CNN.com




    Is China ahead of the curve here? Breaking new ground? Or setting themselves up for more hatred and attacks?

    Would you support burqa bans in your country?
    Nope. The French did that a while back. Suppression of religious minorities has a long tradition all across Eurasia and was a main reason to leave for the wilderness of North America.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,217

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    France did ban the wearing of it in public but the law also applied to masks and any other sort of face covering. This Chinese law seems to only include burqas.
    Nobody will stop you wearing a Grace Kelly Carre slung elegantly to cover but the eyes in Paris.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Nope. The French did that a while back. Suppression of religious minorities has a long tradition all across Eurasia and was a main reason to leave for the wilderness of North America.
    No one is suppressing any religion.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    Again, nudity isn't the same as Religious expression. Quit trying to compare the two.
    Both are about freedom of expression.

    China does not view religion, or freedom of religion as we do. We make a distinction, they dont necessarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,217

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    No one is suppressing any religion.
    That is your opinion and that of the French majority, but not that of the women concerned nor of their families. With the power on its side it is simple to say that disallowing religious practice is not suppression. In the same way it was not discriminatory to ask Blacks to stand in the back of the bus, because that was their place and station. You can always find a euphemism for an outrageous act of humiliation of a minority that makes the perpetrator feel good and righteous. Come on. We know that. We are Americans. Our heritage stands for the exact opposite. We struggled against that type of oppresion.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •