Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 103

Thread: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

  1. #21
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,414

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by youngturk View Post
    Good for China.I support the ban on burqa.It's obviously a security issue.

    Can you imagine Hayat Boumediene wandering around wearing the burqa?
    Maybe she would have gotten away!


    oh wait...
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  2. #22
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Did France ban the burqa a few years ago?
    I think that was only for government employees and only while they were on the job.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #23
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I can't wear a floppy hat or sunglasses in a bank. But I can where a burqa at the airport . . . you know, the ones with the secret inside pockets that hide AK47's.

    Ban burqas. Ban all religious habits. Not going to happen in the USA.
    Because we have the 1st Amendment.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,733

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    There is a fundamental issue here which is at the core of what an open society is. And when I say open society I mean one in which people can move about relatively freely - more or less - and a wide range of activities and behaviors is open to them as legitimate and accepted.

    That core issue is that people can be identified if they abuse the benefits of such a society. And when someone wears clothing which is intended to disguise their identity - regardless of the reason - it runs counter to the very principle that we can be open because we can be help accountable as we are identified if we do something improper or even illegal.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #25
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    What if the French terrorists could've simply donned burqas, and melted into the crowd? Is that a good thing? Do you think driving a vehicle is safe while wearing a burqa?
    Let me get this straight. You want to ban burqas because a French terrorist could attack someone, put on a burqua and then "melt" into a crowd? Has this ever happened? Is this even close to legitimate concern? I don't think so. Well comrade, let me tell you, this is the absolute worst argument. Cowboy hats should be banned in Texas or people can "melt" into a crowd after a crime.

    You want to bring driving into this conversation? I don't think it is safe for people to be on the phone and drive, but they are. I don't think it is safe for people to put on makeup in the car, but they do. I don't think driving has anything to do with the ban. It is about stripping away someone else's identity.

    Stand up for freedom. Do not cower to fear.

    We shouldn't take away rights because of fear.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #26
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Let me get this straight. You want to ban burqas because a French terrorist could attack someone, put on a burqua and then "melt" into a crowd? Has this ever happened? Is this even close to legitimate concern? I don't think so. Well comrade, let me tell you, this is the absolute worst argument. Cowboy hats should be banned in Texas or people can "melt" into a crowd after a crime.

    You want to bring driving into this conversation? I don't think it is safe for people to be on the phone and drive, but they are. I don't think it is safe for people to put on makeup in the car, but they do. I don't think driving has anything to do with the ban. It is about stripping away someone else's identity.

    Stand up for freedom. Do not cower to fear.

    We shouldn't take away rights because of fear.
    This discussion is about China banning burqas. I never advocated the banning of anything. I merely presented a scenario where terrorists could utilize burqas in a negative fashion. Is that okay with you?

  7. #27
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,506

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city



    The vast majority of people could identify this guy from 10 feet away with or without the hat.

    Could you identify this person? Is it even a male or female?

    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

  8. #28
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    This discussion is about China banning burqas. I never advocated the banning of anything. I merely presented a scenario where terrorists could utilize burqas in a negative fashion. Is that okay with you?
    Your scenario is a strawman and has never happened.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city - CNN.com




    Is China ahead of the curve here? Breaking new ground? Or setting themselves up for more hatred and attacks?

    Would you support burqa bans in your country?
    I would not support burqa bans. I mean, why would anyone want to do what China does? Commies aren't folk to look up to and to try to emmulate.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city - CNN.com




    Is China ahead of the curve here? Breaking new ground? Or setting themselves up for more hatred and attacks?

    Would you support burqa bans in your country?
    The only way to stop future attacks in America is to profile muslims. It's sad but it's true.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •