Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 242

Thread: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

  1. #81
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,196

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I think this is excellent evidence as to why society cannot trust religious institutions with important parts of our lives. What does a funeral need a church or a preacher for? This pompous man has decided its his place to hurt a grieving family. Religious bigots picket funerals and hurt other mourners. Secular principles don't lead people to do this kind of thing. This is just one more thing that religion perverts.
    This so called "pomous man" you claim, did not go looking for this, the family of the deceased came looking for him. Let's get that straight.
    It was the deceased's family that was unwilling to honor the terms of the one THEY hired.
    Geesh.

  2. #82
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,407

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Perhaps the Pastor remembered that God has in fact judged the behavior to be sinful.
    No, a book written by ancient people said that, not God.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #83
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    This so called "pomous man" you claim, did not go looking for this, the family of the deceased came looking for him. Let's get that straight.
    It was the deceased's family that was unwilling to honor the terms of the one THEY hired.
    Geesh.
    Only because religious organizations hold themselves out to the community of being capable custodians of this kind of thing. And they are clearly incapable of it. They should not be trusted with such a high place in our society if they fail to live up to the responsibility it entails.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  4. #84
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,096

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    No, a book written by ancient people said that, not God.
    It was God who said it through his prophets. God speaks through man and to man. The Bible is the Inspired Word of God, not just a book written by ancient people, that doesn't discredit things or make it any less true.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #85
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,196

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Only because religious organizations hold themselves out to the community of being capable custodians of this kind of thing. And they are clearly incapable of it. They should not be trusted with such a high place in our society if they fail to live up to the responsibility it entails.
    That's absolutely preposterous. These so called "religious organizations" have done more for humanity than you are capable of counting to. They back what they believe in dollars benefiting millions in every corner of the globe. To these people their faith is more than a religion. It is a way of life.

    Those who are at fault here are the ones who would not accept the terms of the pastor they hired. They had no respect for his beliefs or his sanctuary where he is the shepherd and expected him to compromise to accommodate them. Well it didn't happen.

  6. #86
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    01-05-18 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,296

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Is kissing a loved one a sin?
    It certainly can be. If, for example, the woman I happen to feel "love" for at the moment is not the woman I am "married" to, then yes, absolutely, romantic physical intimacy with her is a sin.

    Or did the church just choose to interpret that? What if it was a married straight woman and they showed a pic of her kissing a man not her husband? Would everyone assume she was an adulteress?
    I suppose it would depend upon context - is that the man that she lived with and slept with? If so, then, well, yes.

    Her life is her life....a complete picture, not a snapshot of things the church doesnt 'like' or chooses to call out. How about if she was toasting friends in a pic and they objected to her drinking alcohol?
    Then they should say things like "please do not include celebrations of alcohol in the church", and those who are arranging the funeral should honor that if they want to use the space for the funeral.

    The people who decided to ignore the Church's requests here are the ones who created a problem and attempted to force their preferences on others. Good on the pastor for (hopefully politely) refusing to compromise on principles.

    Do a lot of churches take license to do those things or just ones that want to force their own judgement on people? Rather than, again, letting God do so.
    The Church is called upon both to judge actions and not to celebrate sin.

  7. #87
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,898

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    You by your very post shows your bias and unwillingness to be objective.
    It's impossible to have a conversation with someone who is so bias.
    Have a nice day.
    WTF?? I just spent five posts clarifying that the church had the exact right to do as they did, and that I advocated them being forthright and honest about their beliefs, and that makes you throw your hands up in frustration and defeat? What do you advocate? That they should have been sneaky about their principles?

  8. #88
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,785

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    This story is outrageous and it makes Christianity look bad. The pastor was clearly wrong. Stopping a funeral is beyond offensive, and the family will always remember his actions on a day that was already tragic. His actions hurt dozens of innocent people, and for no good reason.

    I agree, if he has issues with performing funerals for LGBT people then he should be upfront about it. I have no sympathy for the pastor...


    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Look, I could understand the pastor refusing to do the funeral when they first approached him. But if he has this kind of bias, he should do the homework up front to find out if the dead person is gay or not.

    Once the funeral is underway - there is no way he should have stopped and demanded that that pictures be removed. That is a gross dereliction of his pastoral duties in my opinion.

    Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay - The Denver Post

  9. #89
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,196

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    WTF?? I just spent five posts clarifying that the church had the exact right to do as they did, and that I advocated them being forthright and honest about their beliefs, and that makes you throw your hands up in frustration and defeat? What do you advocate? That they should have been sneaky about their principles?
    It's your snarky comments in between such claims that was a dead give away. Enjoy your evening Cardinal.

  10. #90
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,407

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It was God who said it through his prophets. God speaks through man and to man. The Bible is the Inspired Word of God, not just a book written by ancient people, that doesn't discredit things or make it any less true.
    So says the book written by ancient people. Hello circular reasoning.

    I can't say anything against people having faith, no one can win that argument, but when you try to present it as facts, your arguments are just laughable and lack any sense of logic. Just be honest and say you have faith and be done with it. Nothing you are saying here is fact.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •