Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 242

Thread: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

  1. #21
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,868

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    I've read the article.
    The lesbian couple evidently had no pastor or friend or members of their families who could provide a pastor to perform a Christian burial but instead found Pastor Ray's church off the Internet because it was a convenient location. That's rather odd that none of their many friends couldn't cough up the name of a minister in the area that they personally knew.

    Second, anytime a pastor does a funeral for someone he does not know, if he is a good pastor, he spends several hours interviewing family and friends as he wants to get to know the deceased so that he/she can comfort those in mourning of their loved one in remembering the good of the life of the deceased. Sounds like Pastor Roy did just that and found out that the deceased was in a same sex relationship and told them that part of the deceased's life he could not highlight. And they blew him off by highlighting it anyway and the funeral was then moved from the church and held at the funeral home.

    There's a lot of folks out there that want a church wedding and a Christian burial but they don't want anything else required of them in between. A lot of ministers/pastors find funerals and weddings an opportunity to preach the Gospel. I think the time has come for pastors/ministers/preachers to limit themselves to those in their congregation or a loved one associated with their congregation instead of hiring out for a fee to perform a ceremony for just anyone. Hopefully Pastor Roy has learned that lesson.

  2. #22
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    To the church's defense, this was a RELIGIOUS ceremony. That's a fine line you're walking. Do I disagree with what they did? Yes. But remember, it's their religious ceremony.
    Absolutely it was their right, and like the church that fired the pregnant daycare employee for not getting married in a timely manner (again, the church's right), it paints a vivid picture of Christians as cruel and devoid of empathy.

    I, for one, have zero problems with them showing their true colors.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 01-14-15 at 06:45 PM.

  3. #23
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,868

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Absolutely it was their right, and like the church that fired the pregnant daycare employee for not getting married in a timely mannered (again, the church's right), it paints a vivid picture of Christians as cold and devoid of empathy.

    I, for one, have zero problems with them showing their true colors.
    That's a lie painted with such a broad brush that it would take more than two hands to hold it.
    The Church, and I mean the body of believers not a denomination, is not viewed as a house for Saints but rather a hospital for Sinners. You will never experience forgiveness in this world like you do among true believers.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,864

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post

    There's a lot of folks out there that want a church wedding and a Christian burial but they don't want anything else required of them in between.
    I agree and I dont understand it. I can think of a few reasons but find them mostly shallow and knee-jerk. One might do it to please their family I guess.

    But those are just my personal and yes, judgmental, opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #25
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    That's a lie painted with such a broad brush that it would take more than two hands to hold it.
    The Church, and I mean the body of believers not a denomination, is not viewed as a house for Saints but rather a hospital for Sinners. You will never experience forgiveness in this world like you do among true believers.
    And that's why the most terrifying thing I can think of is for religious people to determine anything about my life "for my own good." What religious fundamentalists will do to other human beings under the guise of "merciful" and "for their own good" is the strongest reason for a secular political system I can think of. If it weren't for the behavior of the church in this regard and the one with the pregnant daycare employee Americans might forget that, and so the church has done us all an enormous favor.

  6. #26
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Absolutely it was their right, and like the church that fired the pregnant daycare employee for not getting married in a timely manner (again, the church's right), it paints a vivid picture of Christians as cruel and devoid of empathy.

    I, for one, have zero problems with them showing their true colors.
    You have to remove those colored glasses to actually see the true colors.

  7. #27
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,868

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I agree and I dont understand it. I can think of a few reasons but find them mostly shallow and knee-jerk. One might do it to please their family I guess.

    But those are just my personal and yes, judgmental, opinions.
    I appreciate your honesty, Lursa.

  8. #28
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You have to remove those colored glasses to actually see the true colors.
    The church's actions stand for themselves. All we need do is watch and be thankful we don't live under theocratic rule.

  9. #29
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The story sounds very incomplete. It would be interesting to know when this conversation occurred "Certain events were not going to be allowed to take place according to the church," Campanella said. "In talking with family we decided it would be best to have the services here."

    The church didnt prevent the ceremony from continuing...the family and friends decided to move it. The church allowed the ceremony to be conducted but with the guidance photos of the deceased should not be allowed that showed her living the lifestyle that is in opposition to their faith.

    The article mentions the Church offers 'hope' to drug addicts. I think thats noble. Now...if a family decided they wanted to place pictures at the ceremony of an individual shooting up because thats what the individual loved, that would be disallowed. And no...the two obviously arent the same but without question, the concept is the same. The church does not condone homosexuality. It does not condone what it believes to be sinful behavior. I can only assume that the church is going on the FULL doctrine presented by Christ.
    Very well said. At the same time, though completely with in his ethical authority to order the pictures not to be displayed, the pastor should have allowed the photogrpahs to be shown once the funeral had started. Rather, he should have simply exited the room to avoid giving affirmation to what was being presented.

    After the funeral, he could then explain to the church membership what happened and explained why he exited the room rather than interrupt a funeral in progress. Then, he could develop a procedure where families are informed in advance that not all aspects of every deceased person's life can be actively presented during funerals held at that church.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And that's why the most terrifying thing I can think of is for religious people to determine anything about my life "for my own good." What religious fundamentalists will do to other human beings under the guise of "merciful" and "for their own good" is the strongest reason for a secular political system I can think of. If it weren't for the behavior of the church in this regard and the one with the pregnant daycare employee Americans might forget that, and so the church has done us all an enormous favor.
    Churches vigorously standing up for their first amendment rights always do us an enormous favor.

    That aside, I just applied the secular / atheist ideaology of communism to the concept of harm done under the guise of "mercy" and "for their own good"- and realized that not all secular poltical systems do people enormous favors. In fact, I would rather live as a Christian under the present day Ayatollah of Iran than as an atheist under Stalin.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 01-14-15 at 07:05 PM.

  10. #30
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Family: Lakewood church stops woman's funeral because she was gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And that's why the most terrifying thing I can think of is for religious people to determine anything about my life "for my own good." What religious fundamentalists will do to other human beings under the guise of "merciful" and "for their own good" is the strongest reason for a secular political system I can think of. If it weren't for the behavior of the church in this regard and the one with the pregnant daycare employee Americans might forget that, and so the church has done us all an enormous favor.
    Your problems and hatred of religion aren't the issue here. You won't be asking for a Christian burial now will you?

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •